“Great hotel and Staff but rooms need updating”

Hotel Les Capucines
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Gassin
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night while traveling through the South of France. The room we had was large and clean but the decor and finishings were quite dated. The grounds of the hotel, however, were the complete opposite. The pool, hot tub and garden area are beautiful, well manicured and modern. The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a nice breakfast poolside before leaving and were so relaxed in the nice setting we stayed until 1pm. I have to give 4 stars because of the dated rooms, otherwise this was a 5 star experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and i came here for our honeymoon. This place was rated a 3 star however it is almost as nice as the 4 star places we have stayed. WE got a lovely welcome from the staff along with a room upgrade and fresh red roses and sweet local treats as a welcome gift from the staff - guessing becuase we were on our honeymoon. The room was beautiful and amazing and clean. Bathroom was so big. Very quite place with a loevly clean pool and spa. We felt we got what we paid for. Thank you so much and we will def be back and would reccomend!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay. You really need a car as taxis are expensive. Hotels, small and big, are hugely over priced around St Tropez.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed October 28, 2011

As a holiday hotel this must be a record if bad service, poor food and unclean rooms (in brown 70ies style). It ruined our holiday so if you go away to relax then this is not the place!

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Princejaffe
Reviewed October 16, 2011

On last week of September I was going to St. Tropez to take a part as a crew member in a sailing regatta Les Voiles de St. Tropez. I decided to stay in SNGL room in some quite hotel in Gassin for a week. After I checked an options and reviews I found 3 hotels (same price range) which might meet my requirements, the main of which was to have a quite place for sleeping. The hotel Les Capucines had an informative internet site, but to make sure I asked them if the hotel is located in a quite area. They convinced that I will be happy.

On Saturday evening I arrived to the hotel (room N 44). When I came into the room I noticed that there is a construction site and a building crane just in front of my window (check the photos). I asked to give me another room, but my request was nicely turned down (the personnel was always very nice and friendly). So I asked at what time the construction works starts and was assured that after 9 am. That was fine with me, thus I had to be on the regatta before 9am. On Monday I realized that the works starts at 8 am. On Wednesday, when there was a free day for all yachts and I hoped to have a good sleep the construction works started at 7.50 am…thus on my only free day I waked up before 8 am and spent it at the pool area with a nice view onto the bay and working building crane (please check the photos).

And some smaller problems... On first day of regatta I ordered an omelet for the breakfast. After 20 min of waiting I asked a waiter if my breakfast is coming. She was very sorry and told me that she didn¨t understood me correctly, but she will bring the omelet just in 10 minutes… Unfortunately I didn’t had time any more to wait, so I had to leave the hotel without having breakfast. During this day I didn’t had any other possibilities to eat, thereby my first meal was at 8.30 pm in the marina.

In this type of hotels I expect that the minibar will be checked and refilled every day as well as a shower gels. Also it was very weird for me that during check-in you have to leave your passport at the reception for the whole stay. The manager explained me it was a decision of the hotel owner after he had some “negative experiments with the clients”… what that means?!!

The hotel is located at the nice area, it has a very comfortable territory and the personnel is friendly, but in spite of this I wouldn’t stay in Les Capucines again and I wouldn’t recommend the hotel to other. I am sure that for 250 Euros per night per SNGL room I could find an other place to stay in this region with less problems and flaws.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
HOTELLESCAPUCINES, Propriétaire at Hotel Les Capucines, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Effectively, a house is under construction next to the hotel. Regrettably, we cannot do anything about it and the law authorizes these works. On the other hand, these made little noise and you were the only one to complain.This situation is temporary and, naturally, in a few days, there will be neither works nor crane next to the hotel.
For the omelet, it is simply due to the fact that you were at the reception to make your complaints. Thus, it was not able to be served to you at the table that you had left. Then, we asked you if you always want your omelet and, there, you refused.
The mini-bar and the lavage gels are verified every day. It is possible to forget it once.. It is enough to say it to us and we add it immediately.
In spite of these small inconveniences, we hope that you will return to the hotel without works opposite and you can appreciate the tranquillity of places.
Kind regards.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

If you want luxury and class, you won't find either at this hotel. The staff was unfriendly, the management was rude, and the male receptionist (Jaque) did not know what he was doing. I would highly recommend you find an alternate hotel. This place is not worth the amount they charge.

Within in the first 15 minutes of arrival, we were overcharged by 280 euros due to calculation error by the male receptionist (is math calculated differently in France?). My money was never returned. He also blamed us for making a mistake when booking the rooms. Rude.

Our rooms were decent, at best. Clean, nice bathroom, but very dingy and run down. A few critters (small lizard, bees, moths) made their way into our room occasionally, but the staff did help to escort the bugs out.

Looking for a nice view of the beach? You won't find it here. Multiple trees block the water down below, along with a gigantic crane to the left of the hotel.

The location of this hotel is very inconvenient. It is up a hill and far from the main road, and walking is not really an option. If you plan to go to the Saint Tropez port area or Ramatuelle beach, then don't bother staying here. It is 35 euros each way to/from the hotel that you are MUCH better off just paying slightly more to stay at cleaner, nicer, and more conveniently located hotel.

Our check out process was also a nightmare. We had an early bus to Saint Raphael and needed to leave the hotel promptly at 6:45am. Unbeknownst to us, the front desk does not open until 10am AND they hold on to your passport at check in. Meaning, I had no way of getting my passport back. Finally, the manager showed up (after the night guard was blatantly rude to us).

The manager is HORRIBLE. He pretended not to understand anything we were saying, very unfriendly, not helpful, did not care that he had my passport hostage. Even when we voiced our concerns, he could care less.

IF THE MANAGER DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE GUESTS AT HIS HOTEL, THEN HE DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE SERVICES HE PROVIDES. And that was made evident by the staff and receptionist.

Les Capucines should be your LAST RESORT...trust me, there were much more amazing hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

The problem, during your arrival, is due to the fact that you had reserved a family room for 4 persons but, then, you wanted another room in more.
You said that your money never returned !!! I think that, on the whole stay, you paid only what you owed and NOTHING MORE.
Contrary to what you say, the hotel is very well situated... In the middle of a big pine forest, it is very quiet... Exactly, we do not see the main road and it is very well. It is indicated everywhere that the hotel is more than 2 km of St-Tropez thus, it's true, it is a little bit far to go on foot there... But you were warned.
For the check-out, the reception opens in 8pm (AND NOT 10pm). For a morning departure, it is enough to say it the day before and to make the check-out at this moment.
For the manager, be reassured, he takes care of his customers and his services as demonstrates it very great majority of satisfied customers.
Best regards.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

The pool and food at this hotel were so good we opted to spend a day here instead of trekking to the beach. The staff were very sweet as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gassin
0 mi away
#10 of 26 in Ramatuelle
Hotel de Paris Saint-Tropez
Hotel de Paris Saint-Tropez
#3 of 73 in Saint-Tropez

Been to Hotel Les Capucines? Share your experiences!