“Comfortable, spacious, great value, good value for money”

Appart'City Geneve Gaillard
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Gaillard
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We choose here after researching various places, because it seemed good value for money compared to places in central Geneva.
Having read some of the reviews on here I wondered what we would find, and I was very plesantly surprised.
The parking was a little confusing. There is an underground car park, but you can actually park at the rear of the hotel, which was fine.

We had one of the suite rooms with a kitchenette. The notices in the room do ask you to leave the kitchen as you found it, so a pack of kitchen wipes would have been handy in the luggage, but it was really handy to have a fridge and basic kitchen. There is a bus stop right outside, we caught the bus to the boarder and then transferred onto the trams. The trams have ticket machines at the stops, and you buy according to which zone you're in. I think it was a 2 zone ticket to get you from the hotel to the center of town, although no one checked our ticket.

It did have wifi, but as mentioned in other reviews, it got painfully slow in the evenings. We found if we needed to upload our stuff doing it first thing in the morning worked really well. There were notices in the rooms saying they were working to improve the speed.

I found the room to be very clean, large and spacious, and I would defiantely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dawnch023

Reviewed May 12, 2009

I was going to a conference in central Geneva, and baulked at the cost of the Geneva hotels. Then I found this place. I'm very glad I did.

My Suite Galliard is a straightforward 3* hotel, with the bonus of offering cooking facilities in each room, so you can cater for yourself if you want to. They even offer low rates for long-term stays: I think Galliard would get a bit dull after a while, but the hotel would be fine, I'd say.

The place must have been refurbished since some of the reviews here were written. It is clean and tidy, and well-maintained. The rooms are not luxurious, but they are absolutely fine, especially for the price. The breakfast is ok - nothing special, and you could probably do just as well in a cafe: but the "express formula" (coffee, juice, two mini croissants) for EUR 5 is pretty convenient. The wireless internet access is good, but became severely overloaded each evening - so it got so slow as to be useless.

The location is quite accessible from central Geneva: about 35 minutes on the tram. If you are arriving at Geneva central station (easiest thing from the airport), turn under the railway arches to find a tram stop. Take Tram 16 to Moellesulaz. This stop - the tram terminus - is co-located with the French-Swiss border post. With Switzerland now in the Schengen area, there are no border formalities. After walking across the border, go straight ahead. Get/stay on the left hand side of the road, and walk for 5-10 minutes. You will reach My Suite on your left hand side. You can get a free ticket at the airport which covers the whole of the Geneva zone - good enough to get to Moellesulaz. The tram terminus has only a ticket machine - and it only takes coins (SFR or EUR). If you don't want to be buying individual tickets, get a weekly season ticket from the local travel office at the Geneva main station (35 SFR with a photo; 50 without).

I had an excellent meal at "Le Temps de Vivre", a couple of blocks from the hotel. It's on the D2, heading out of town. The meal cost EUR 40 (3 courses, plus wine and coffee), so it wasn't cheap, but it was excellent French cuisine - which seems in short supply in Galliard - and much cheaper than the same meal would be in Geneva.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank doc_M
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This is as good as any hotel I have stayed in Geneva - it is about 20/30 minutes away from downtown on tramway services 16/12/17. Room was spotless with huge bed, nice bathroom and shower, seperate toilet and best of all - kitchen area with microwave, cooker hobs, fridge with freezer. Smoking rooms available on fifth floor - very important if you like a HOME FROM HOME. There is a Spar supermarket a few doors down and a Casino Supermarket over the road - you are in France - but the Swiss border is literally 5 minutes down the road. It was a pleasure - and much better value for money than Geneva City Hotels - about half the price and a fridge to boot - fantastic! The man on the desk was very helpful and spoke English! I will definately use My Suite Gailllard in the future.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Sergeant1192
Reviewed December 31, 2008

I've stayed here twice in the past few weeks, and can't see anything the matter with it--no visible ants, dirt, etc. The management I've found to be unfailingly helpful and courteous (admittedly, it probably does make a difference if one speaks French). The decor is severely institutional and uninspiring, with few flourishes: one can see why an earlier reviewer described it as a student hall. But if so, it's a well-appointed one. All the essentials are here: a good-sized room, a decent bed; a functional kitchenette with the requisite pots, pans, dishes, glassware, etc.; an in-house self-service launderette on the third floor; air conditioning (not common for such establishments); and a good wi-fi internet connection bundled in the price. It's also just 400m up the road from the Moillesulaz border post, with two supermarkets (the Champion being the better of the two) and several boulangeries, greengrocers, cafés etc. literally within seconds of the front door. At Moillesulaz there are frequent trams to the centre of Geneva: Cornavin station is about 30 minutes away. One could do a great deal worse; and if a room can be obtained at a tolerable price, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 5, 2008

My parents came over from US to visit me while I am living in Zurich. We wanted to spend two days in Geneva and had a hard time finding anything less than $400 for three people. We booked this hotel and were a bit nervous due to the previos reviews but it was the best place we could find that accomodated more than 2 people and wasn't on top of the main train station.

The hotel was about 30 min from the main station (including about 5 -10 min walk from tram across France border to hotel). If you do not want to stay in France...then don't stay here.

I will admit the halls reeked of smoke but we were pleasantly surprised when we got in the room and there was no smell of smoke. There were two separate bedrooms each with its own double bed. After staying here I am convinced this place has been renovated since the 2006 reviews, as all the cabinetry/bathroom fixtures were new. It was nice to have a fridge and working stove. The place was quiet and overall it exceeded my expectations (which was based upon previous reviews). You need to remember this place is cheaper for a reason...it's not a 4 star hotel and it's located outside Geneva...but this was worth it to us to save over $200 per night. They also had free wireless internet which sometimes you can't even get at higher class hotels.

If you do stay here make sure to call ahead as there is no one at the desk late in the evening (not sure what time they leave exactly maybe 8).

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I booked this hotel as a last resort - I booked late and was looking for the nearest available hotel to the airport and Palexpo. It looked ok and the previous reviews were a mixed bag - so I thought why not.

The Location - 50 minute taxi ride from the airport (in traffic)- cost me 56 swiss francs. A tad longer from Palexpo (again in traffic) - cost me 67 swiss francs. So any money I saved on hotel was lost through this.... However, after the hotel decided they couldn't get me a taxi - as the line was engaged, I tried to make my own way to the Palexop - for reference it's a 5 minute walk to the tram station - where you take the number 16 to the main station in Downtown Geneva and then hop on a bus (number 5) to Palexpo - total cost 3 swiss francs - this is a bargain - but it takes about 50 mins/1hour.

There are no real decent places to eat which are within walking distance - but I found a good supermarket across the road called Casino - this takes Euros and Swiss Francs. In addition 5 mins down the road there's a Spar!!

The Suite - on first entry was not half as bad as I though - it looked ok - in fact quite good. 2 bedrooms, a nice ish bathroom and kitchen area. However.....the rooms stank of smoke and I was told it was a no smoking room. I had to keep the windows wide open to get some air in and keep the room cool - as the aircon was set to 26.5 - and you can't adjust yourself. The bedding although clean sheets, had hair ALL over them - yuk. The floor hadn't been cleaned in an age - again dirt and hairs.

It gets better - I noticed when shaking off the bath mat -that A, it wasn't clean and B, the room clearly had a family/tribe of ants living in it. Supidly I tried to swat them to make me feel ok for the first night I spent there - but they just came back....and I found that they could climb.....onto the towels....I am just glad I brought my own.

The kitchen area was relatively clean - but the microwave was rank and as the photo shows my coffee machine had mold in it.

English - 1 nice lady on reception who even loaned me an adaptor for the evening and advised on tram times - however the other 2 attendents spoke little english (not that I was bothered) but they were quite rude and coudn't be bothered waiting to order me a taxi...as the line was engaged. Be aware that the supermarket across the road also speak little English.

Total cost for dirty room 146 euros for 2 nights.

I will not stay again

CR - North West England

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Chihuahuasrock
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Had to stay in the Citadines Gaillard as there were no hotel rooms left in Geneva at very short notice.

For me it was not a pleasant place to stay. My room really stank of smoke, was not all that clean, and was generally tatty.

Breakfast was just a continental breakfast, but the staff were not helpful at all.

I will not be going back again - ever!

5  Thank timaye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaillard
Hotel Porte de Geneve
Ibis Budget Annemasse
Ibis Budget Annemasse
#10 of 19 in Annemasse
Comfort Hotel Annemasse Geneve

Been to Appart'City Geneve Gaillard? Share your experiences!