“Excellent French dining experience”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Geneva, Switzerland
“Excellent French dining experience”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

A group of us had the 4 course Voltaire menu at €48 consisting of a choice of dishes for each course. The food and presentation is excellent. Dishes are just right in size. All food was perfectly cooked and served together with a glass of different wine to accompany each dish (additional charge but well worth it). Excellent wine choices that had us guessing as to which wines were being served. The cheese board had 40 different cheeses, a sight to see.

The staff were extremely friendly and efficient and quite capable and willing to speak English to those of us unable to speak the language of Molière. Menus also available in English

As mentioned by other reviewers, there was quite a strong smell of fish on entering this restaurant. This did not bother us as we were seated on the closed-in veranda. The restaurant, itself, is a little tired and could do with some redecorating

• Visited May 2013

Geneva, Switzerland
“Good option for quality and good value near Geneva”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Been twice and had excellent service and food both times. Multi-course and very French. Foie gras dishes esp good. Very happy with it and would use if for special occasions.

• Visited June 2012
“Bad experience”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Went there for lunch yesterday, the second time back since 2006. As your reviewer Oldboltonian says, there was a curious smell in the place. Might have been meat, though. I don't eat meat and could be oversensitive to the smell.

We ordered the Menu du jour. Entrée Crevettes, with rice prepared in squid ink. We asked if we could have the prawns on their own, but this apparently wasn't possible. We were offered the option of a green salad instead; which we accepted. We both selected fish, cod, as our main course.

Well, the fish arrived; and it was rather undercooked. My friend said she couldn't even cut hers. So we sent it back and had it further cooked. Mine wasn't bad but my friend wasn't pleased with hers. When the owner came around the next time, instead of apologizing (customer isn't often right in France), she said it was impossible to cook the cod any more because it was a special type of cod. So there. Anyway, I asked for a doggie back to see if the cat would accept to eat it when I got home.

We waited for a very long time to pay the bill. Despite being probably the first to arrive, around 12, we were the last to leave, at 14.25.

I won't be rushing back.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank COShaughnessy
Geneva
“Good food in a modern French décor”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The lady of the house is in the restaurant with one other set of hands. Both are eager to serve. The husband is the cook. Food is very good and plentiful. There is a terrace in summer. The maitre d' knows his wines. Reservation seem to be a must.

• Visited March 2013
“Food was excellent but room was very cold!!!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

My stay was ok but I did feel that as I woman dinning on my own and also staying in the hotel I was left alone. Bedroom was fine with wifi. The room was cold when I first arrived and windows did not fit well. With temperature well below minus and windy you can imagine. I placed clothes at the window to stop the draft! I understand that this is an old building but I am sure this could be addressed!!!

1 Thank HonGarvey