“Nice hotel in the green close to Geneva airport”

Hotel & Residence La Villa du Lac
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Divonne-les-Bains
Munich, Germany
“Nice hotel in the green close to Geneva airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2010

The hotel is very modern and has a great location at a beautiful lake. The driving time from Geneva airport is about 20-45 minutes depending on traffic. The rooms are well equipped and offer elegant comfort. MIne had a balcony which was quite nice. The Spa is small and the gymn is also very tiny. People were very nice there and tried to fullfil any of our requests. You can walk to several other restaurants and attractions in the small town of Divonne.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank HotelRoomBuyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
Dublin, Irland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

The hotel is absolutely lovely. Thanks to our navigation system we had no trouble finding it. It is nicely located near the centre of the gorgeous village of Divonne-Les-Bains (10 mins. walk) and just a short stroll from Lac Divonne, a beautiful small lake.

The reception area is modern and welcoming. The staff at reception were very friendly and professional they answered all our questions in a friendly manner. But for some reasons they all were not wearing name badges. A pity if you want to compliment a certain member of staff.

The rooms are nice, modern and well equipped with a TV, phone, minibar and free Internet access. Our room was fairly spacious with a nice, clean and big bathroom as well as a small balcony facing the front of the hotel (rooms facing the back even have lake-view) every thing was nice and clean except for some small stains on the wall.

The spa is nice but small but it was lovely to relax and you get free bathrobes just bring your own slippers or you have to buy them there. We did not use any of the treatments though.

Now the only downside.

DO NOT HAVE BREAKFAST!

It is absolutely not recommendable. We arrived at 9.30 and breakfast was advertised till 10 but all the hot food was gone already when we asked we were told that hot food is finished already. So we had a bit of bread and coffee but both had no taste what so ever. We had to ask for cutlery and juice glasses. The cutlery arrived after 5 minutes but we never got any glasses even after asking all three members of staff. I think they were completely understaffed and the staff that was there was extremely unprofessional.

After complaining at reception we were not charged for breakfast. Which was very nice of them.

In general it can be said the hotel is great value for money and it's nicely located. Very nice for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dontuknowme
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

my family and me stayed 2 days at this hotel apartment cause it was near geneva int.airport 12km ,up on arrival told that check in 5 pm and not 3pm we had to drive around check out also was early 10 am . they told us they will call when room ready but they didnt. we camback find apartment agood in size but wasn,t clean enogh ,kitchen sink was dirty,trash can bag missing,we found out latter that every body has to clean his apartment himself b4 he leave otherwise it will coast you 80 euro .dust was all over floor
you have to buy your own trash can plastic bag,liquid cleaner,toiltiers

spa and other services were very expensive

the only positive side was free wifi and parking area

i wouldn,t go back

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mechil
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

I effectively lived 5 days a week in a one bed apartment for over 18 months and I have not got a bad word to say fot the hotel od Divonne. Extremely friendly staff, nice and clean, nothing too much trouble.

The bar area is small and cosy, underground parking in the winter and a fantasic setting by the lake and beautiful Divonne that has loads of facilities.

I would describe it as "homely" rather than plush and that may not suit others wanting a luxury break.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank all624
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2010

My husband had a meeting at the hotel and I accompanied him-so I was a leisure traveler. We arrived on a Saturday night. There were 2-3 people in a bar area off the lobby. We saw one couple that evening in the elevator and there was family in the restaurant. We were given a key to the room. When we opened the door there was a strong smell of smoke. We had reserved a non smoking room. We went down to the reception desk and asked if we could get another room. The woman at the desk said they had only one other "non smoking"room with twin beds(knowing we had requested a king). I asked if ours was non-smoking. She said yes. I looked her in the eye and told her there had been a lot of smoking in the room. She stared back and shrugged. I can't believe the hotel was full. We saw only a handful of people. It was totally quiet the next morning. No sound of people in the hall, or plumbing or cleaning people.

The room was spacious enough. There was mini bar with no prices listed. No frills for sure. 2 wrapped plastic cups in the bathroom (like a Motel 6), no Kleenex, 1 small bottle of body wash/shampoo, no coffee/tea maker, 2 towels and 2 hand towels I think.

There was a balcony. Of course it was winter but the balcony overlooked the parking lot, as almost all of them do. There was free internet access in the room. They have to give you a code and it is wired.

There was to be internet in the lobby for guests. There was a computer off the lobby which I looked forward to using while my husband was working with his lap top. I couldn't get it to work . I waited for a friendly looking woman at the desk. She tried and called a man to try. They couldn't get it to work and she assured me someone would come and fix it. (I think it was just a problem getting on line, I don't think the computer itself had a problem) A day later I asked the woman from the first night when it would be fixed. She told me the repair person wasn't in the town and shrugged. When I next looked there was an out of order sign on it which was still there at the end of our stay.

They cleaned the room on Sunday. We had used the two plastic cups in the bathroom. One I had had tea in ( with hot tap water as there was no coffee maker). They left the cups there. No new ones. When I moved a couple of things on the counter I found the wrapper from the soap. They had not cleaned the counter at all. I suspect they just replaced towels. On Monday I didn't leave the room until early afternoon. They never cleaned that day. They did clean on Wed.

There was no way in that hotel to get anything to eat or drink except the dining room and the mini bar and the lobby bar in the evening. No drink machines, no room service, no shop. The business meetings get water and snacks but the leisure traveler is out of luck. I glanced longingly at their water, tea and croisssants--clearly marked with the company name.. It's a healthy walk into town and the shops are closed on Monday and 12-2 other days.

The town is quaint and has nice restaurants and a casino. It can be explored in a couple of hours. There is a lake across the road where one can walk.

The pool looks nice and could be a nice benefit if you like to swim. As another reviewer said there are no extra towels or robes in the room. Most people would swim in the evening and the spa is closed then.

Do not go there without a car unless you are working all the time. We made a serious mistake thinking that there is always some kind of transportation in a European town and I would be able to go to other towns.. When I went to the tourist office in the town for advice, the first thing the woman said was "if you had a car. . ."

We stayed in 4 hotels on our European trip--all rated 3 star. From that experience I would say --except for the pool and spa which seems to be used more by the community than guests--based on service and room amenities this should 2 star.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SusanRah

Travelers are raving about these Divonne-les-Bains hotels

Zug
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

We chose this hotel because of the leisure facilities but please scroll through all the hotel info.- I didn't and once we were at the hotel discovered that all the facilities are restricted to over 16s only which was very disappointing for my children. Room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

Location wise this is handy for Geneva and the airport but you do need a car to get here. We had the 2 bedroom apartment which was clean and well maintained. Kitchen was well furnished for French standards and it even had a big main oven as well as a mini combi oven. The size of the room was good with plenty storage spaces. Bathroom was big, but towels were thin and small. In the 4 days we were there, we never saw any staff apart from the night we ate at the restaurant. Food quality was good, but service was terrible. They got the starters and main courses wrong. We had to wait a long time to be served and we had to ask for our drinks. They were understaffed that night, but that was no excuse for the wrong menu. We did get coffee on the house, but still not really satisfactory. The spa is only available for adults but there is an open air public swimming pool 5 min walk away.

Overall, OK place to stay for a few days but would not recommend for a fortnight's break.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family