“Old world charm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Divonne-les-Bains
London, United Kingdom
“Old world charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed for 3 days of business meetings staying overnight with the meeting room package. Absolutely stunning views and the chateau is beautiful in an old world charming kind of way. Some of the inside is in need of a bit of modernising and it did feel a bit twee but I quite liked that. The outside terrace where you can sit and have a drink overlooking Mont Blanc is very special. I found the location useful with it being a short ride from Geneva Airport and good value for money compared to the higher prices of meeting packages in Geneva. I was happy with my spacious room and nice touches of chocolates etc left, however some colleagues weren't very happy that they didn't have a window. So I would look out for this. The large meeting room we hired was down in the cellar it was atmospheric and full of character. It had small windows so a little dark when in there for a few days but there are other rooms you can hire upstairs. The bar is good as the night porter happily kept it open till the early hours. On balance we were quite a demanding lot but we did need the flexibility for our meetings so the staff didn't always see eye to eye with us. We were in fact met with quite a bit attitude at times, which I didn’t expect with how much business we were bringing. Although they probably required a lot more notice for things due to French employee/work rules and some of the staff were great but some others not so. It's ok for having very formal meetings if you don't require flexibility and everything is set in stone or if you’re passing through and fancy a romantic break, in that respect having also stayed elsewhere in the area. I'd say the Chateau is probably the best place to stay in Divonne.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank kelliemurray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have stayed many times on business. I like the feeling of seclusion and getting away from the big hotels. The rooms tend to be a good size and and always quiet and comfortable. The food is very nice but I cant comment on the prices as it alwasy goes on the company credit card! Service is good too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Richard B
Chateaux_hotels_gef, Responsable Réservations at Chateau de Divonne, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Madam, Sir,

We wanted to thank you for your feedback regarding you many stays at Château de Divonne.
We are very happy to see that our clients realize our chance to have such position close to Geneva.
We looking forward to welcom you soon.
Ferney-Voltaire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

We started our meal at the Chateau de Divonne with champagne. My husband's glass of Brut was fine, but my Rosé was obviously flat. I complained and the glass was replaced with a fresh one, but at €18 a glass I shouldn't have had to ask.

As for our food, what we had didn't taste bad, it only looked bad. My langoustine ravioli was flavorful but looked like a bowl of mud. It was the worst dressed plate I've ever had in France. A sad sprig of green parsley couldn't help that overwhelming brown. My husband's lobster medallions, which should have had pride of place, were buried under lettuce leaves.

Next plates - again, good taste - horrible presentation. My husband's veal and eggplant purée was meat swimming in a beige mush-like sea (and mush is a nice comparison). My dorade with mushroom risotto was yet another monochromatic study in brown.

They redeemed themselves somewhat with the desserts. My Grand Marnier souffle was excellent, my husband's chocolate fondant equally so, and their presentation was better.

For a restaurant in this price range how the food is presented is as important as how it tastes. I can't say this was the worst tasting meal I've ever had, but I have to say it was the least attractive.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frenchchic
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed there for 1 night and also had dinner with clients. It sells itself as a bit of old fashioned luxury, but in my view it was a bit more old fashioned and a bit less luxury. I realise you cant have it all, but I have stayed in plenty of old placed that also have a modern touch tastefully done. This place needs modernising and thats a fact.

The dinner was really good quality and you get a fantastic view over the lake from the dining room. The night porter kept the bar open until the early hours as we were residents and that is always a bonus.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jrb72_london
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We had a wonderful experience staying at Chateau de Divonne. The location is great away from the busy Geneva, but still less than 15 minute drive from the airport saving you some money compared with similar hotels in Switzerland. Our room was small but cosy and quiet. The restaurant is excellent with a wonderful terrasse for summer dinners. The staff including the management is first class, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bastad
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

the hotel is in the middle of the forest, very "chateau style". with very good service, views, and very nice to relax after a long flight, close to Geneva airport, city and close to Lac Leman if you are interested in make a tour around it

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Went for some business meetings. First off, a beautiful location. Great views. The hotel and rooms are very old -- if you are looking for some charm, then this is the place. If you are looking for working Internet and a modern feel - go elsewhere. There is also a bit of an attitude here, as they wouldn"t recommend any outside restaurants to us, or allow us to order food in, as they only wanted us to eat in their restaurant...Also, smeels old and musty, but kind of cool and retro that way - in a mid-evil way...Beware of getting a windowless room...

Room Tip: Get one with a window! some dont have windows!!!