“Pretty basic but pretty decent.”
Review of Logis Amelie

Logis Amelie
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Brides-les-Bains
London
“Pretty basic but pretty decent.”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Pretty basic but pretty decent.

It’s a 3 star hotel at the bottom of the valley and therefore you should be getting a good price. If you want to spend more money there are plenty of hotels in Meribel.

My room was in a separate block. It was reasonably quiet and had a functional little en suite shower room. I'm not sure the rooms in the main hotel are en suite.

The breakfast was fine. Croissants, hot chocolate. The basics. The evening meal was adequate, although there were times when I wasn't quite sure what time of meat in brown sauce I was eating.

My top tip is that if you miss the last gondola back, which is very early (approx 4.15pm) there is no buss back from Meribel but there is a buss back from Courchevel 1850 regularly up to about 11pm.

• Stayed December 2007
1 Thank LJBGG
HotelAmelie, General Manager at Logis Amelie, responded to this review, October 18, 2009
We thank our friend for his comment however all the rooms of the hotel Amelie are in the same block.
Maybe our friend did stay in La Vanoise Hotel which is a 2 star hotel we manage as well (just next door).
Those 2 hotels are sharing the same bar and the same restaurant.

It can happens we are upgrading La Vanoise client to the Amelie, however, we never downgraded a booking from the Amelie to La Vanoise.

All our rooms in both hotels are en-suite.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
belfast
Reviewed April 20, 2009

I along with 18 other friends have just returned from a skiing holiday in the Three Valleys area during which we stayed in Hotel Amélie in Brides Les Bain. The skiing was excellent unfortunately i have to report that our holiday was, to a great extent ruined by problems we encountered with the hotel.
We had reason to complain about the standard of food from our very first meal. It quickly became apparent that everyone in the group found the food bland in the extreme and that the meat dishes in particular were prepared with low quality meat. The blandness extended across the dishes from starter to desert. Our group was amazed that even a rice desert, on our first night, could be so completely lacking in taste, particularly as we mistakenly thought the desert might make up for what went before.
The following night the standard hadn’t changed and this led to complaints to the hotel management from several members of our party over a period of three days.
Unfortunately we found the general manager devoid of any sympathy for his unhappy guests.
Moreover, during protracted discussions with him we found him arrogant, aggressive and totally uncompromising.
We were informed by him that as we were staying half board there was a set menu and that it was the only menu. On our complaint of tasteless food we were told that salt and pepper is bad for you and it is not used in preparation of the food. We mistakenly thought that he would remedy this for our menu unfortunately his solution to this was to put salt and pepper on our tables.
On trying to get him to offer us some choice on the menu we were told we could have soup for a starter and fish for a main course if we preferred. Several of the group thought this might make a difference; however, to their complete dismay they found the soup in particular was so bland as to be utterly tasteless.
When complaints were made about the overall quality of the food the manager claimed not to understand what we meant by “poor quality”. However, when it was pointed out that one of the questions on the hotel questionnaire for every resident was “What did you think of the quality of the food?” he just shrugged his shoulders. He suggested the problem was we didn’t like French food. We pointed out that the food was part of the attraction to holidaying in France and that we had all enjoyed good French food on many occasions before. We also pointed out that we had eaten in local restaurants in Brides Les Bains and Meribel and had enjoyed the food there. His response to this was “I am happy for you”. On another occasion he told us if we wanted five star food we should go to a five star restaurant.
One specific complaint was about a lamb main course that we had been served. One of our company pointed out that the quality was so poor it was more akin to mutton than lamb. His reply to this was to proudly proclaim that it was from Ireland suggesting therefore that there couldn’t be anything wrong with it.
Frustrated with this arrogant response it was pointed out that he had nineteen unhappy guests and he was asked what he intended to do to remedy this situation. To this he declared I have one hundred quests that aren’t unhappy. He therefore did precisely nothing to address our complaints.
By Wednesday morning, the mid - point of our holiday I along with a close friend decided we had had enough. We informed the reception manager that we would no longer be eating evening meals. Other members of our group also decided to skip evening meals which meant we were now having to eat elsewhere at an extra cost in what was already an expensive holiday.
At checkout time on Saturday morning I and another member of our party advised the reception manager that we wished to have the meals that we did not eat deducted from our bill. Also we felt we shouldn’t be paying for meals which were so poor that they were only partially eaten or not eaten at all. His response to this was to tell us we had two alternatives. We must pay the full amount or if we failed to do this he would call the police and we would go to jail until we did. We emphasised that we were happy to pay for our accommodation but we resented strongly having to pay for food we hadn’t eaten from Wednesday or for the rest which was so unbelievably poor. Again we were told to pay the full amount or go to jail.
As we refused the police were then called. While we were waiting for the police I explained to the reception manager that I was not the type of person that makes a habit of complaining and that I had never before found myself in this position. I explained that I now found myself under the threat of police action and possibly jail, not mainly because of the food but because of the incredibly arrogant response and attitude of the general manager to our complaints. The reception manager’s response to this was to tell me that it was my attitude that was the problem. I could only reply that this was more of what I was talking about. In the end the police arrived and explained to myself and my friend that in France if we have a dispute about the bill we pay first and process our complaints afterwards. Under the threat of jail and missing our flights the whole sorry saga ended with payment for the worst treatment I have ever experienced in all my travels.
On leaving I informed the reception manager that I would be posting my experience on the internet and asked him if he was not concerned about bad publicity. He shrugged his shoulders. Simply incredible. What a way to treat residents and paying customers. A mind boggling attitude to customer care and for how their attitude would affect future business.
Nineteen of Hotel Amélies guests left with only a bad experience as a memory and with no desire to ever return to Hotel Amélies or Brides Les Bains ever again. What an amazingly short sighted approach from those who make their living from attracting tourists to their region.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank campbres2
HotelAmelie, Propriétaire at Logis Amelie, responded to this review, June 24, 2009
First of all, we would like to thank our Irish friend for having taken the time to give his opinion about his stay.
However, it seems our friend forgot couple of details in his story.

In one hand, there is indeed a set menu changing every day. Apparently our menu didn’t suit our friend, so we exceptionally decided to give him every day a choice in the menu.

In the other hand, our friend complained one evening about the quality of the lamb shoulder and as he is a farmer in Ireland, he knows about the quality of the meat. We gave our friend our delivery note about the lamb to show him this lamb shoulders were from Ireland which we think is one of the best quality around the world.

Moreover, our friend choose to go and eat outside of the hotel and it is stipulated in each menu that “not taken meal can’t be deducted” so he knew before to settle his bill that we wouldn’t deduct them.

Indeed, our friend was so determinate not to pay the full amount of his bill that we had to call the police. We are sorry about this issue as it is the first time we had to go to that point.

Finally, only 2 friends seemed to be unhappy. The 17 other people of the group were happy and we even prepared a birthday cake for one of them one evening. The responsible of the group continued to correspond to me after the departure of the group and even 3 weeks after their departure sent me this message in one of his e-mail : “Again I would like to thank you (…) for your hospitality during our stay in the hotel.”
He also paid (afterward) for some drinks that weren’t paid at the time (for couple of euros that we never claimed) and some of the person of that group left some tips to our staff.
Therefore, we’ve got the right to think the rest of that group was satisfied of their holidays in our place.
London
Reviewed February 20, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 6 nights in February 2009. The hotel is superbly situated in the heart of small and quiet village of Brides-les-Bains. The walk from the hotel to the gondola to Meribel (about 25 minutes each way) takes about two minutes. If you rent a locker from the gondola (€5 per day, €20 pw) you'll get to jump the queues in the mornings and won't have to carry your skis around - well worth the investment.

The hotel itself is a nice, smallish, family-run and very tidy. There is an outdoor parking area (first-come, first-serve), a garage (for a supplement), a games room, free WiFi, a couple of free internet terminals and a cosy bar. Our room was very comfortable, quiet and tidy.

We wouldn't normally choose to have half-board at any hotel, but this time we chose to do so. This was very good choice, as the food at the hotel (a three course meal for dinner) was very good and served by knowledgeable staff. The restaurant had a good wine list with several choices from each of the main wine areas of France. They also had a good selection of wines available in half-bottles.

The breakfast was a standard continental self-service buffer affair with bread, ham, cheese, yoghurts, muesli, corn-flakes, cakes and croisants. Nothing special but perfectly adequate and more than one would normally expect in France.

The staff at the hotel were courteous and very helpful making our stay a very pleasant experience.

We would wholeheartedly recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lendu
Cardiff,Wales
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed at Amelie for New year 2008/2009. This was certainly one of the best hotels in Brides Les Bain as we met others who were staying in Athena for example and they said our hotel was much better. This was a great family run hotel with a nice bar and Restaurant. The rooms were very clean and tidy and had nice bathrooms. In relation to the food i would warn any vegetarians to not expect any decent meals for the time you spend there. We opted for half board which meant the menu of the day. If you were staying in some swanky hotel in Paris the food would be as expected , A La Carte but after a day of skiing you need some wholesome food ie potatoes, pasta, rice, vegetables etc to keep your energy up. Whilst it was a 3 course meal every night the main course varied from Guinea Fowl and brussel sprouts, no other vegetables, to venison and couscous. As a vegetarian I was looked upon in horror, the first night i had vegetable soup and then fish and green beans, i didn't have the heart to tell them vegetarians don't genearlly eat fish either! but then on the second night when they gave me scallops i had to say something. then for the rest of the week i had veg soup and ommelette every day, except one night when i had 2 fried eggs and couscous as an alternative. Needless to say by the end of the week my energy levels were so low due to lack of vitamins and proper diet i ended up ill. BUT that said it was a lovely hotel and I would recommend it.
In relation to location for skiing I was a bit concerned having read some reviews that we were going to be a long way from the skiing areas. We were a good 20 minute gondola ride away but this was not necessarily a problem. We did the Ski school which started at 11.30 in Meribel so this gave us plenty of time in the morning. One tip i would give though is to get lockers at the rental place at the gondola. It is 20 euros for the week but it means that you jump to the front of the gondola queue every day which will save you a good 10 to 15 mins queuing. The hotel does have lockers which are free of charge but it does mean waling down a hill in your ski boots which we didn't fancy doing!
We booked through Crystal and can honestly say they were useless. They provided us with no information in relation to the location of our ski school other than it was in Meribel, we nearly missed our first day after 45 mins of searching for the meeting point. They gave us our welcome meeting a day and a half after we had arrived and had already worked everything out for ourselves and the reps on the coach both advised us they didn't know the resort well as this was only thier second week, useless! We went with Snow Systems for ski school, Level one, which was 2 hours over 6 days. Whilst the Instructors were good don't expect your 2 hours to be all instruction time. you spend at least 20 mins in the lifts going up and up to 20 mins in lifts coming down plus any queuing time. I was not impressed with this as i did not feel we were getting our monies worth. On one day our lesson was to finish at 1.30 and it was just after 1 and the instructor said we didn't have time to go back up again as he had another lesson to get to and left us! Next time i would book a private lesson with just the people i was with. My previous experiences with ski schools has been very good with a full 2 hours of tuition.
In relation to lift passes we bought area passes but we didn;t even go out of the Meribel area.If you are beginners you won't need an area pass.
In relation to getting the Gondola back to Brides the last one at this time of year was 5.00. However it was still running until 6.00 so i am not too sure how well they stick to the 5.00 rule. but if you miss it the taxi to Brides is around 30 euros. If you leave at about 4.00 the queues are ok but one day we didn't leave until 4.45 and we were queuing for about 45 minutes. Because of this next time i would stay in Meribel itself, whilst Hotel Amelie was nice the time you lose for skiing in the gondola ride is a problem. Whilst this was not necessarily an issue for me as a beginner skier this time i think next time i would want to spend more time skiing and therefore the gondola ride would be an issue.
New Year in the hotel was nice. All guests ate at the same time and the meal was over about 4 courses. The owner of the hotel and his family also ate with the guests and there ws entertainment with a band and a magician at dinner time. They made a real effort to make everyone feel very welcome and the staff were fantastic. There are not many bars or restaurants in Brides so the hotel was the best place to stay for the new year. If you are looking for a lively resort Brides is not the place for you. It was generally a very relaxed and friendly town and Hotel Amelie is the best hotel to stay in (unless you are vegetarian, but i think that is France in general!)

• Liked — Friendly staff, good bar, nice clean rooms
  • Disliked — Food for vegetarians
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rokrio
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2008

Just returned from a week's skiing and this place turned out to be an excellent place to stay. It is right beside the gondola taking you up the mountain to Meribel. The gondola takes about 25 mins and was no hassle, in fact at the end of the day it was nice for a rest.

The hotel was great and the food was brilliant. It is a three course set menu every night and whilst we often screwed up our face at the menu, every night the food was excellent and surprised us.

The bar is good as well and was busy during happy hour with everyone coming off the slopes.

The rooms are simple but nice and have a large bath with very hot water which is always appreciated after a hard day's skiing.

The skiing in the three valleys was brilliant with the snow good and the weather even better. You could not beat the skiing this year.

Brides itself is pretty quiet, however, if you want an excelllent value for money ski holiday, I would highly recomend this location and definetely this hotel!!

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — The uphill walk up to the gondola
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank Parallell
Shropshire, England
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Very good hotel situated in the centre of the village and very close to the Olympic Telecabin up to Meribel.

Rooms are clean and basic. Half Board food option offers a basic continental style buffet for breakfast and a 3 course set menu each evening. Food was good and service was excellent.

Staff are friendly and helpful, speaking good english. Friendly cosy bar offers 2 large flatscreen tv monitors showing Eurosport. Happy hour each evening from 4pm until 6pm where a large beer costs 2 euro's (normal price 4 euro's).

Good ski lockers with integral dryers at the back of the hotel allow safe and secure storage of skis, poles and boots.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No English speaking TV channels
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
7 Thank stevenpatrick
Cornwall UK
Reviewed March 10, 2007

Definitely recommend this hotel.
We were a couple. Had a large room on the front. Some of the rooms still need up dating but the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The owners live in an apartment on the top floor.
Lovely restaraunt. Food was very good - very traditional french Savoie region - not ideal for vegetarians ! good large bar as well.
Hotel was excellent value, good location right in the centre of town. Wines and drinks were rather expensive. Suggest you order the house wines !
100 yds walk to the telecabin to Meribell.

Just one thing - B les Baines really is a very small town/village. So very little to do in the evenings. Was told by others that the other restaurants in town were pretty poor !
If you want Apres Ski then suggest go to another resort.

Nick & Barbara

• Liked — Good location very good and friendly service
  • Disliked — Bedroom ws showing its age - and needed better cleaning !
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple