“Great lunch in lovely location”
Review of La Belle Etoile

La Belle Etoile
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stumbled across this restuarant as we climbed up towards the old town and were delighted with what we found. It was lunchtime and they had a great menu du jours, all served and presented with flair. The 7 hour cooked lamb was to die for. Would definitely recommend this which felt like a genuine French bistro compared to the more touristy restaurants further up the hill. The view was great too, over the roman bridge

There are newer reviews for La Belle Etoile

Reviewed August 20, 2013

La Belle Etoile was recommended by our B&B L'Eveche. We reserved, then went one evening in July (while the Tour de France was in town). We really like the eclectic furniture and our servers were funny, kind and helpful. There were so many things that we would have liked to order...but we were only able to go once. What to choose? I chose the cold soup, and it was perhaps the best summer soup starter EVER! It wasn't just beautiful to look at, but an amazing blend of fresh flavours. Absolutely brilliant! My husband had the beef carpaccio. It looked just like I make at home, but my husband couldn't stop raving about the parmesan shavings (just the right kick) with the carpaccio and arugula...with a drizzle of olive oil. Simple and balanced. For our main we both had the 7 hour Lamb. It took me back to my childhood roast lamb...melting and lip smackingly wonderful. For dessert, I had a summer pavlova - shattery meringue, light chantilly cream, fresh fruit. Just perfect! It was also wonderful to sit outside by the old Roman bridge, watching the sunset over the river and the town. We will be talking about this dinner for a very long time. (As we walked away, late in the evening, we looked into the kitchen window to see the chef still working hard at the stove, the dishwasher washing up, and the young femaie server putting the finishing touches on a dessert - a great memory!)

Reviewed August 10, 2013

On the first of august we had a wonderful evening at this restaurant where we were treated so kind and eat so delicious. Thank you so much. Fam. Kars

Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you're in or anywhere near Vaison-la-Romaine don't miss this place at the foot of the 'haute ville', just across the river from the town centre. Not much to look at on the outside but the food is superb: seasonal produce really beautifully prepared and presented; remarkably good value too. For example, I had as a starter a small courgette, flower still on and stuffed with brandade de morue, both hot, with wild asparagus and other 'hedgerow' leaves and two small columns of cold brandade wrapped in something lovely I couldn't identify, for €8 - and you can't get a sandwich for that. Main a superbly flavoured pave of pork with a thick herb crust and a few vegetables: €19. Wine was mostly local, high quality and not greedily priced, where can you get a classy bottle for €15...? Go!

1  Thank Nick P
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My companion said this was the best meal (brandade stuffed courgette flower followed by pork from pigs used for iberico ham) he'd had in a restaurant for a long time. Mine was also excellent but my starter (rabbit terrine) and main (veal kefta) were similar in texture so overall the meal was not quite perfect. The cooking was precise and executed with a light touch, letting the flavours speak for themselves. The restaurant has a short menu; sadly we were not in Vaison long enough for it to change or we probably would have gone again. The restaurant is quirky and the service charming.