“Peaceful”

and 1 more site!
La Fete en Provence
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed in the Duplex la Fete for 3 nights in May and really enjoyed this beautiful location. You need to walk up 2 flights of stairs to get to the main room but it is well worth the effort for the wonderful view from the balcony. The duplex had a small living room area with a TV and sofa that leads into the kitchen area that has 2 single beds. There is a small WC on this floor and this is the only toilet in the duplex, a real pain when you have to use it in the night and come down the spiral staircase! Up another flight of stairs is the main bedroom which has a good size queen bed and a bath tub. It has a shower attachment that you can spray yourself with but I found it easier just to have a bath and wash my hair separately.
I would call the room shabby chic. A little worn but somehow charming. The location in the medieval part of town in wonderful and so peaceful within easy walking distance to restaurants and shops. We stayed on Monday night and enjoyed the wonderful market on Tuesday morning. Got amazing picnic supplies and then drove up Mont Ventoux to enjoy a wonderful view and picnic (bring warm clothes as it is really cold at the top).
As noted by others there is a lack of staff at this hotel. We were checked in and out by the young girl that cleaned our room! As we were leaving the hotel one evening to go to dinner we met a man who was hoping to stay at the hotel, trying to get into the reception area but as no one was there he went elsewhere. I expect they lose a lot of business this way. We did not have an issue with the lack of staff but I can understand that it could be a problem for others or if you did have a problem.
We chose this hotel because we thought it had A/C but it turns out that only some rooms have it. It was not an issue for us as we just opened the windows and it was not hot enough for it to be a problem but this would be a concern in the summer months.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kitten1961

Reviewed June 5, 2012

This is a lovely and unique property but the rooms need updating. The room was extremely drab. With a little attention, this would be a lovely place ... as it was it was good value but unremarkable.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank altanta-annie
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We had a nice room with a real queen bed. Very clean, with a window that opened to a great view of part of the city and the surrounding countryside. Below our window was the beginning of the little cobblestone lane but traffic was virtually non-existent and there was no noise. Plenty of room to walk around in our room and outlets for recharging phones and cameras. The bathroom facilities were nice including a real shower. We had a challenge actually getting our room the day of our stay. We called for availability the day of our stay but language issues prevented communication. We found a translator to assist with the phone call and that sealed the deal. The restaurant hostess actually gave us the key later that afternoon. We could not get WiFi in our room, but did get online in the office the next morning. The hotel is within easy walking of other restaurants on the hill just down the lane. We chose the courtyard garden of the Hostellerie le Beffroi for dinner, but that's another review. The next morning, Tuesday, was market day and we easily walked down the many steps, across the Roman Bridge and into town to enjoy the huge market. We'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be good. Some face outward with city views, others face the inner courty...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ed-Idaho-USA
Reviewed August 10, 2011

The room we stayed in was spacious, clean, beautiful, and overlooked the patio. What a great value! The bath window opened to an unexpected beautiful scene - a trellis with flowers. The quality of the room reminded me of a California spa hotel I had stayed in. The staff showed us to the pool/hottub and also carried my heavy bag up to our room.
Parking was available nearby and up a slowing winding hill so much a part of Vaison la Romaine. We will return and stay here, hands down!

Room Tip: Internet worked well for us - quick response to our booking request.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank RSpacker
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We enjoyed the hotel, very cool location in the old part of Vaison la Romaine. The room was comfortable, clean, and modern. The pool was nice, although too cold to go in in September. Front desk staff was nice (see below for further comment). Restaurant proprietor on-site very friendly.

As others have mentioned, the front desk is not staffed full-time. It wasn't a huge problem for us, but if anything went wrong I'm not sure what a guest would do...they don't leave any contact information. The only other issues we had: our room wasn't made up one day when we slept in and left late morning. The woman at the front said she'd come back to make up the room later but never did. Also, there was no wifi in our room (common problem we found throughout France where they claim wifi). We had to take our laptops to the courtyard to get a signal, which was a challenge due to not being able to plug them in to an outlet, and the fact that the courtyard has no lighting later in the night. Last, we were on the top floor, which made lugging our bags up the narrow spiral staircase a little bit of a challenge...not unexpected given our other accommodations throughout France.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MBMaverick
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My wife and I spent a week here in Provence and were smitten by both the charm of the hotel and the location. An easy walk into the main part of town and central to all the regional attractions - we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2009

My husband and I spent 4 nights in this old rustic Inn. We loved the winding staircase, the stone, and the medieval feel. It's located in the older city and while the hill it's on could be a bit steap for some, we enjoyed the location. There were some drawbacks with the service. While everyone was super nice, they disappeared most of the day and night. It was off season (though the rates were still full season rates!!) so their restaurant was closed. You could get breakfast, but the first morning we tried, they were not expecting us (even though I told them the night before and we arranged a time). We received a little bread and told we could help ourselves. The problem was there was nothing to help ourselves to because everyone else had eaten it. We arrived at 8:30am, so it's not like we came really late. I had to ask for yogurt and joice that I saw others eating and I noticed there was cheese, but we never saw it. After that we decided the 10Euro each was NOT worth it for bread and coffee!
Likewise we tried to find someone for 1.5 days so we could check out and no one was ever around. The morning of our departure everything was closed up so I had to leave a note in our room - I never even received a receipt, just an email confirmation that my credit card was charged. I'm not s=usually one who needs a lot of frills, but for the amount you have to pay to stay at a place like this, I would have liked someone to be there if we needed. We even tried phoning and no one answered. I wouldn't shy away from recommending someone stay here because it was a nice spot, but I would set up in advance what to do when you need to reach someone. (And bring soap, they only give you shower gel - even for handwashing).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple