“Too expensive for what you're getting”
Review of Nino

Nino
Ranked #36 of 114 Restaurants in Cassis
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We decided to have lunch at Nino based on a recommendation in our Fodor's guide. I really wish we didn't. Fish soup in all it's varieties is one of my favourite foods, so of course we opted for the Bouillabaisse. This was my very first bouillabaisse and I was not very impressed. The broth was tasty, but not hot enough...not even close. For 40+ euros per person...I would expect they have a way to ensure the soup is piping hot. The fish that is served outside of the soup was very bony, but that's expected since the typical fish put in bouillabaisse is very bony. Nonetheless, it was very difficult to eat...not sure if there's a way to debone the fish properly. If so, that's not the way it was served to us. I think the potatoes that came with the soup were probably the tastiest of the whole thing. If not for the potatoes and bread, I probably would have left hungry...40+ euros for potatoes and bread.

The service was pretty good, but not first class by any means. The restaurant has a great view of Cassis to gaze out at while you eat, but I'm sure there are better options for bouillabaisse in the area.

1  Thank Littlemops
There are newer reviews for Nino

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We ate a light lunch at Nino's on a gorgeous day. People watching and harbor watching were great. The service was attentive and precise. Had broiled mussels that were wonderful.

3  Thank BarbWas
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Last June I was motivated to write a favourable review of La Poissonnerie following a couple of bad reports on TA. Two later visits were disappointing so this year we tried Nino. So much better! Charming service and the staff took time to pay attention rather than appear rushed.
The St Jacques entree was outstanding, perfectly cooked as was the St Pierre main course. With excellent sorbets to follow and a half bottle of the local Paternel rosé, the bill for two came to 109€.
Yes it is about 15€ a head more expensive than Poissonnerie and the other similar restaurants on the harbour front, but in my opinion Nino is well worth the extra.

1  Thank carefreevoyager
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Le Nino is definitely NOT a place to spend more than 60 Euros per person for lunch (one entree and some grilled fish plus one mediocre glass of wine). No wonder the restaurant is empty on the day we visited -- we were the first customers. Vegetables were old. We informed the head waiter but did not receive any replacement. Moreover, even though the menu said vegetables come with the entree, we had to ask for them. Don't order fish soup; it is a yellowish disgusting liquid, not unlike sweet potato baby food. Don't order grilled fish either. It is a big rip-off scheme in Southern France: Since fish is charged by 100 gram, you may end up paying EXTRA 100 euros for 2 fish, each about the size of your palm.
If we had not visited Le Nino, our memory of Cassis would be perfect!

4  Thank Dan P
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Have eaten here many times and in my opinion this is still the best food and very good value for what it is. I visit Cassis at least three times a year and try most of the eateries, this is my favourite place. Bruno, the owner, is a charming host and the restaurant's position along the port is great for people watching. Book early and ask if they can reserve you a table overlooking the port, you will not be disappointed.

2  Thank sbd119