See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I feel bad giving this hotel a negative review, because the proprietress is nice, friendly, and efficient, and the room is in an excellent location (just two blocks to the bus stop from the train station, and two blocks to the beach and marina). And it's hard to complain about anything when you're staying on the French Riviera. However, you do ‘get what you pay for’ and while I always love a good price, I didn’t feel that this hotel represented a good value. The room was extraordinarily small, and the bathroom had to have been carved out of what was formerly a closet, so that the room could have a toilet en suite. And although I know the place was cleaned, it just had a generally run-down feeling.
Also, free wi-fi was advertised, but it is only available in the lobby of the hotel (not in the rooms) and the lobby closes at 10 p.m. If you know all this, you won’t have any other unexpected surprises, because Hotel Laurence is what it is. But don’t go just because it showed up in the Rick Steves guidebook.

Date of stay: June 2011
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank UnsheepishlySeattle
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I had a great experience at Hotel Laurence. Both women I encountered at the front desk were businesslike but were kind and chatted with me a bit, gave me recommendations as to where to go to the beach, how to access the calanque walk and what restaurants to check out. They didn't ask to hold my passport but did ask that I pay up front 1 out of the 2 nights I stayed. They do not accept credit cards (I don't view this as a negative, just make sure to have cash on hand). Wifi is available in the reception area where there is a couch and magazines. The bus route to the train station is just up the hill and it is a 1 minute walk to the port and a 2 minute walk to the beachfront. The front desk opens at 8, (so don't plan to depart earlier than this) and closes at 10 in the evening but you can still access the hotel with a security code. The rooms are small and basic but I spent all of my time out and about anyway. The bathroom was clean and was cleaned during my stay - it was bright and had nice modern fixtures. The pillow on the bed is a french pillow- the long roll, but they do have rectangular pillows available if you need. TV in the rooms. I skipped breakfast and opted for a coffee at a restaurant on the port and pastries from a local pastry shop. Would return.

Date of stay: May 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Stayed here with my grandmother, grandmother hated it, I thought it was quite nice. Bathrooms are a bit small so if you are overweight or with limited mobility this would not be the place for you. Despite what other reviewers said, I found the woman who works at the front desk to be quite friendly. Comfortable beds, close to everything, but no lift! Cable tv, internet in lobby, and towels provided. Did not have breakfast, got breakfast out on the town, what a fabulous market Cassis had! It was good enough for me, no bugs, mildly noisy on the street below though, so ear plugs were useful. Would stay there again.

Date of stay: August 2010
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Very friendly and very helpful staff. The hotel is located in center of town, a few steps from the waterfront.

The rooms are basic but clean and great value for money. Don't book a room in this hotel if you want luxury, but do absolutely book there if you want to stay somewhere centrally located, where your room will be basic but have everything you need.

Would absolutely book there again.

Room tip: Top floor rooms have great terraces.
Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We wandered into Cassis expecting it to be easy to find a room in late September - wrong! the Tourist Board found us the last room in Hotel Lawrence - tiny, 3rd floor without a lift, but lovely and quiet with a tiny balcony looking up onto the chateau above. The front desk lady was charming and extremely helpful about car parking - the 3 day tourist pass to the multistorey is the best bet and saves stress as you come and go. The bathroom was so small my partner could only just squeeze onto the loo between the shower and the wall - and he's not huge. BUT for 69 euros we certainly weren't complaining and unlike some other reviewers we found our room very clean and the bed fine - all French beds are firm to hard we found regardless of price. Location is ideal for the quai.

Date of stay: September 2010