“Gorgeous hotel, excellent location for enjoying Cassis!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de la Plage Mahogany

Hotel de la Plage Mahogany
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Cassis
New York, New York, United States
“Gorgeous hotel, excellent location for enjoying Cassis!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We arrived early for our check-in time thinking we would just be able to drop off our bags and fend for ourselves with parking (the town was JAMMED that hot day) to find that 1) they had room for our car in the lot, AND 2) our room was ready early. We stayed in Rm #10. The door was a little sticky and cock-eyed, but when we opened it, I tell you it could not have been more perfect! This was the lowest cost sea-front room (160 Euros / night), and it was beautifully appointed in modern and simple beach style. The balcony looks right over La Bestouan Beach ("The Best One") and is just a short and straight walk from town (I'd say 7 minutes) and also from the hikes to the Calanques (about 5 minutes to the start of the trails). It is a small room / bathroom, but you will likely spend most of your time on your private terrace overlooking the beach and Cap Canaille anyway. The only drawback we had was that the hotel only offered wifi (free of charge, though) in close proximity to the front desk, but not in the rooms. All in all, I'm so glad we chose to stay at this wonderful little hotel. We hope to be back!

Room Tip: Sea side rooms are worth the extra cash.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caitlin G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hungarian first
Kew East, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel has the location and style to die for but is let down totally by the poor attitude and service of the staff. Attempting to order a drink on the sun deck or place a breakfast order was nearly impossible. Car parking behind the hotel was refused and we had to compete with the beach crowd in the adjacent public parking area. Advised check in time of 14.00 was not possible. Rooms were not available till after 15.30 on our arrival day.

Room Tip: Insist on a front room facing the beach at time of booking.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Currently lying awake at 1.30am with a really noisy party happening.

Hotel is ok but you have to pay for everything - parking, breakfast etc. The 'private beach' is a rip-off - 12 euros to sit and listen to loud music and eat overpriced food.

Room Tip: We got a superior room with garden terrace - decent size but no fridge or tea/coffee.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fredgruff

Travelers are raving about these Cassis hotels

Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our room is clean, nice size, good shower, elegantly done with doors opening to r=terraces that have an incredible view right above Same Same Beach. Parking a big problem and walk to town is more than the 5 minutes they tell you but it can all be overcome when you just relax outside.

Room Tip: Third floor is best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank didyaeatyet
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel is located right across the pestouan beach, about a mile away from the city center. We had room #16, with no direct view to the sea. It was spacious enough, and clean, to welcome our party of 4 (incl 2 young children). Staff was nice and helpful, and parking was easily available next door. That counts when the alternative is to hope or a spot on the main parking in the city center.
The beach is a bit secluded, very charming, kids had a great time there. We would def. recommend this place and go back there. Pricing is not cheap, but we felt like it was worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicolas R
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I tried to book this hotel by emailing the reception. I was informed that a room was available and to provide my credit card details. I responded straight away asking to reserve the room and send my card details. I was then told that the room had been taken and that a different room was available. I asked if it was possible to reserve this instead and received no response.
I ended up making a reservation elsewhere. While on holiday, the day after I checked into the other hotel I ended up booking, I received an email from this hotel stating that I had not shown up and that they would be taking the full amount from my credit card and they forwarded on a booking confirmation with that day's date on it!? I asked for proof that a confirmation was ever sent to me prior to the day after I was supposed to have checked in and they proceeded to send some quite rude emails.
I had to call my credit card company while on holiday and ask them to block and attempted charges from this hotel and pretty much spent a whole morning arguing over email with them about this! It may be coincidence but a few weeks later I had to cancel my credit card as someone had copied the details and attempted to use it abroad!
Terrible customer service I would never recommend dealing with these people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LucyHC
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed in Cassis for 2 nights and I am so glad that we decided to stay at this hotel.
The hotel is by a small pebbled beach and the rooms offer a brilliant sea view.
The room was small but very well done and the balcony with the view of the sea was what created the magic..
It was a 10 min walk to the centre of the town and was very doable.

It would have been nice to have a mini fridge - however we did not miss it.

The reception staff was very helpful and friendly.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a sea facing room.. Totally worth the extra price..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family