“Ten stays and never disappointed yet”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cassis
Les Roches Blanches
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Cassis
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I'm shocked at the negative reviews on this site. My wife and I have stayed at this hotel on almost a dozen occasions over the past 16 years and we've enjoyed every minute of it. The location and views and pool and restaurant setting would be good value at two or three times the price, and the family that owns the hotel is unfailingly friendly and helpful. The rooms are not the most up-to-date and the parking is crowded (although the staff handles the cars and we have never had a problem), but that's all part of the non-institutional feel. the breakfasts are expensive but the view literally can't be beaten. I would not recommend staying here without a car in the heat of the summer, if you intend to walk back and forth to town, but otherwise I find it hard to imagine people with any sort of realistic expectations not being wildly enthusiastic.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SteveYanks

Reviewed September 26, 2010

Definitely not worth the money and how on earth did they get four stars? Probably the location, right on the edge of the water (but a walk up and down 2 hills with a very narrow sidewalk to get to town), the common areas and room decor are dated and cheap. Breakfast quality was appalling. Bathrooms really need upgrade. Go with low expectations - Cassis is lovely, the sea is gorgeous. Next time we'll stay in town.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank a_smyth1970
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Cassis is just an absolutely beautiful place. I have been to a few of the bigger cities on the riviera, but this town is just so great. It is smaller and more intimate, yet has outstanding beauty, hiking, and water sports. The location of the hotel is stunning, with outstanding views. The rooms are pricey, and food is expensive, but that's how it is in these parts. We had one of the least expensive rooms (160 euro), which was clean but ordinary, but had decent ocean views. Hiking or kayaking in the nearby Calanques is phenomenal. I would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Willgetby
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I was bitterley disappointed with our stay at Roches Blanche. You HAVE to be careful of the room they allocate you at this hotel. The room we were given was at the very bottom of the hotel and had the most awful dark and dank passage way to approach it - there was no sea view as trees blocked out what would have been a lovely sea view. I requested a room change - it was refused as the hotel was fully booked - I asked to be moved the next day when rooms become available for incomming guests (I was advised that we were paying the same rate as the guests with a decent view) I was told only the manager could do this. The manager was not there. I requested he be told about my request and that he/she comes back to me - they never did. Other issues: the room was not prepared for a double as requested - the sofa chairs had been removed to accommodate a third bed - making it a triple - this bed was only removed the following day and the coffee table and sofa chairs replaced; the room smelled strongly of artificial air-freshener; there is no carpet or soft furnishings in the dark dank passage leading to the room, so every little noise can be heard - we were regularly disturbed by people talking and unlocking and locking the doors to their rooms; there is a deck above these rooms and every morning and evening they take them out and then later pack them away, making a hellish din if you are in the room below - extremely irritating; the staff at the front desk were incredibly unhelpful when I asked about snorkelling in the village - I was told to go and find out in te village; hot chocolate and coffee ordered on the patio in the evening were cold. All this for E250 per night excluding breakfast- a complete waste of money. This hotel has the most lovely setting - but if you can't see the view - there is not much point! For a four star rating they need to pull up thier socks in terms of customer service and it does not surprise me at all that despite being recently refurbished and a lovely location on the rocks (although a little too far from the centre of town) they only rate 5th on the list of hotels to stay. They should be top but if our experience is anything to go by - the rating will head down over time not up! They need a little serious competition - like another well situated four star hotel! I must mention that I was not charged for the hot drinks - they were taken off the bill, but I never did her from the manager!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BethCapeTown
Reviewed March 12, 2010

This is an older hotel just a smidge outside of the heart of town. Be prepared for a pleasant 10 minute walk to get into town. The views are spectacular as is the garden area and the infinity pool. We found the setting to be very peaceful and serene. The prices were high considering the age of the hotel. You're definitely paying for the view. The service was good. Their parking area is miniscule and the attendants will have to park your car for you. Be sure to allow extra time to get your vehicle when you plan to leave.

I'd stay again if the price was right.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Kat0chs
Reviewed January 13, 2010

We stayed at Les Roches Blanches for 3 days between touring Barcelona and Paris, and it was perfect. The location and views from the oceanside balconies are stunning. Sunset dinner (with excellent food,) is a great place to watch the famed color-change of the calanques. I don't "get" the gripes of some reviewers. The service and ambiance are definitely provincial, as opposed to a**-kissing or urbane, but then again, you ARE in Provence. While the hotel could offer a periodic shuttle into the port area, if you are "bothered" by a mild 1 km (.6 mi) walk in a beautiful setting, perhaps an all-you-can-eat cruise to Bermuda would be a better choice of vacation.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2009

When I got back from Cassis, I read the reviews on the French version of TripAdvisor... where numerous travellers asked the same question as us: just how did this hotel get four stars? For us, it was a complete mystery. We were only there for one night and chose to stay in one of the cheapest rooms (called "Lavande") on the first floor of the main building. OK, we chose one of the smallest rooms. So, you could kind of expect that it would be cramped and that the bed would be tiny. But, on top of that, the acoustics were also so bad that we could hear everything not only in the corridor but down in the reception, and the room was rather worse-for-wear. Several pieces of furniture were chipped, the decor (especially the bathroom) lacked any charm and the bathroom products just seemed cheap. Also, the shower rail was placed too far into the bathtub so that it was impossible to take a shower without the curtain sticking to your skin—not a pleasant experience! Elsewhere in the public areas, the decor weaved its way between tired and unrefined. All of those zebra-print chairs in the lobby are really quite an eyesore!

The breakfast was probably one of the most disappointing we've had in a hotel in a long time... which is a little surprising given that they seem to pride themselves on their "gastronomic" restaurant (we didn't have dinner there). I actually can't remember when there was actually such little choice. There was just one type of cereal, for instance... and the quality of the food was nothing to write home about (with the exception of the scrambled eggs, which were really good).

One other problem we had was with our hire car. There is very limited parking in the lot in front of the hotel... and definitely not enough spaces for all the rooms they have. We left our keys with the staff so that our car could be moved out of the way if it was blocking access for any of the other cars. When we checked out, we had the unhappy surprise to discover that the car had been scratched down one side... and when we reported this to the woman on the reception, her response was: "Oh really?" She may just as well have said, "Too bad!"

Of course, what the hotel does have going for it is the location... which is absolutely stunning. The pool area is right on the sea and the views of the "calanques" are absolutely amazing... which just makes the tawdry standards of Les Roches Blanches even more regrettable. You could just imagine it becoming the most divine little boutique hotel and an absolutely perfect hideaway. But, for that, you'd have to completely redo the interiors, put in some sound-proofing and greatly improve the overall service. Until that's done, I would definitely not recommend anyone to go and stay there!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple