“What a scam!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Astoria Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cassis
Astoria Villa
Ranked #3 of 12 Specialty Lodging in Cassis
Mayfair
“What a scam!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

Although I speak French fairly well, I was beginning to feel that my whole experience at the Villa Astoria had been "lost in translation. On reflection I feel strongly that that others must be warned that by choosing this guesthouse you risk being subjected to the authoritarian wrath of the two strange "hosts" of this shabby establishment. We were chastised for being late ( 4pm) even though we phoned to say that we were running a couple of hours behind schedule and were told this was fine. On arrival we were given a list of rules too long to remember but the ones regarding the pool stood out. We were forbidden to use the owners sun beds on the left of the pool or enter their roped off terrace. We were also not allowed to use the side of the pool in front of the ground floor suite. I have never been made feel so unwelcome anywhere. We did not go near the pool once for fear of breaking one of these or many other rules. Our room was in the eaves of the building and had no windows, just two skylights and yet we had been told our room would have a sea-view. When I asked about this I was curtley told that if I stuck my head in the well of the skylight I could see the sea! At this point I wondered if I was beng filmed as part of some joke set-up. The room was a huge disappointment in every way. The toilet was in front of the bed without a door. There was a bare light bulb sticking out of the wall above it. The shower was open-plan too and there was no ventilation.The wash basin was so small it was impossible to use it. One had to kneel on the floor to use the very low fitted wardrobes. Most of the furniture in the room looked like it had been rescued from a skip. The bed was uncomfortable mostly because it had a plastic matress protector. Drinking water was provided....it was one of the cheapest you can buy in France and one day was not replenished. There was more of the same in the help-yourself fridge downstairs along with two litre plastic bottles of cola and diet cola. Instant coffee was available but no milk for it. All this from a pair who tirelessly witter on about good taste and refinement. Breakfast was well presented but poor in choice and quality. The juice was not fresh, the jam portions were so tiny one had to ask for more every day and the coffee was abysmal. I gave up trying to get warm milk for it after day 3. In short this place is a scam. It is not what it claims to be on the website. The bedroom featured on the website is the suite and bears no resemblance to the other three rooms. Perhaps those lucky enough to be given this room are happy with the place, they even get their own side of the pool! All the shortcomings of the Villa Astoria, I could have accepted if the atmosphere had been pleasant but the rude, arrogant, officious, sarcastic nature of the staff was simply unbareable and we had to cut short our stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Mayfairyman

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Maidstone, Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

We returned again this year to Astoria : as perfect as ever for an effortless rest in the sun. Where else can you stay all day, soak up the sun and use a pool with a perfect view? Terrific attention to detail sets Astoria apart from a normal Bed and Breakfast and even a hotel. It is a private home which Laurent and Rodolphe invite you to share. Your stay is enhanced by their consideration for your solitude - noisy and tiresome guests are not encouargaed and poorly trained pets kept at bay for the phobic.
Our room at pool level had a private terrace (other guests are routed around the garden) and was a perfect hideaway. Internet access meant I could continue to work in privacy, sunshine and solitude.
We are returning with friends next year to take three rooms: a weekend in Aix, a week in Cassis and then the train to Geneva to visit other friends wil make a perfect summer.
Ask for a masseur: the most sublime one we both have had - the visiting guy did some cranial work that left me floating all afternoon. We look forward to renting the boat (with skipper) to take a picnic to a deserted beach which was offered this time but we didnt indulge.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple