“Second visit to this restaurant”
Review of Romano - CLOSED

Romano
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was first introduced to Bouillabaisse here, a stew of rock fish... interesting. This time I went for something more conventional and was not disappointed. Yes it is more expensive than most of the other restaurants on the boulevard but the quality of food is much better than most too. A classy experience.

There are newer reviews for Romano

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We met some friends here who live in Nice and had this place recommended to them. We'd been staying in Cassis for a few days and had sampled quite a few restaurants from the basic to the expensive. This was my favourite in Cassis. The food delicious, but the waiters were polite, attentive and discreet, the setting was beautiful with views of the harbour and the cliffs. It was the calmest most romantic dining experience in Cassis. The only downside was that it's not cheap, but that's true of many good restaurants, and we felt this one was well worth it.

1  Thank jen m
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Having taken a bit longer than anticipated to walk to the famous calanques and back, we were pleased to come round the corner into Cassis harbour and find Romano's as the first restaurant. The menu looked interesting, not the bog-standard portside fare, they were obviously not too busy and we got a seat in the sun. The menus were brought, we ordered, the wine and water arrived. So far, so good.

My husband's fricassee of shellfish was what it said on the tin but my beetroot tartare was overwhelmed by the amount of goat's cheese on top and the sliver of smoked trout was barely enough to justify mentioning it in the description. For mains, we both had fish on a stew of chard, sultanans and tomato. The fish was a little overcooked while the vegetables were not a winning combination, having disintegrated into a slightly sweet brown mess. The 'citrus surprise' was lemony and tasty. The rose wine from the Var was OK but not as nice as the Cotes de Provence wines we had been drinking the rest of the week.

Service was not unfriendly but it was clear that they wanted us to get through our meal and out again as quickly as possible: no sooner had we put down our cutlery than the next plate arrived. We were out within an hour. This does not make for a particularly pleasant dining experience. I had read many good reviews of Romano's and was slightly disappointed - and had to be placated with a delicious Italian ice-cream from one of the gelaterias on the harbour front!

2  Thank Walking_Scot
Reviewed October 18, 2011

This was my third visit with a group. The service was terrific, even remembered my name from the last visit in May! Presentation of food was professional, the service was quick but not hurried, and the food just great. I would recommend this restaurant for anyone who likes great food, service and a wonderful view of the harbour at Cassis.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

I just returned from two weeks vacation in France and Italy and Romano was definitely my favourite restaurant of the entire trip. The restaurant has a great location on the waterfront in the beautiful resort town of Cassis. My wife and I were part of a small group and we were seated at a long table covered with a white table cloth, polished cutlery perfectly aligned, and at each place setting there was a single leaf from a peace lily set in a vase of orange water. It was a visually stunning display. Service was fast, friendly, and efficient by well-dressed, professional staff. The food was served hot, beautifully displayed, and was delicious. My main course was a thick fillet of pure white cod with a topping of golden browned bread crumbs set on a base of sweet potato slices. Heavenly! My wife had a leg of rabbit, nicely browned and moist, served on a bed of peas in the pod.
This was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. If I returned this would be my first choice for dining. Bravo!

1  Thank Geoscientist