“Hit and miss”

Ranked #10 of 114 Restaurants in Cassis
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The freshiest of local fish, very reasonably priced, a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere, priced very well and do remember to make a reservation!
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The restaurant should get a rating somewhere between average and very good. The fish soup for lunch was excellent. The plat de jour of cod was not good at all. The service was prompt, the waiters welcoming and congenial. Deserts were fine. they gave us cognac and cassis after dessert. Maybe my main course was just off. I'd give the place another try but uneven is the best I can say after this meal.

There are newer reviews for Le Bonaparte

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have eaten in this restaurant several times over the last few years and it has usually been good. However on my latest visit, the food was very poor - tasteless and under-seasoned beef with cold vegetables and very slow service. I seem to have noticed similar decreases in quality throughout Cassis this September - perhaps the restauranteurs have had enough for the season!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

After a week or so of crippling French prices it made a change when the waiter at Le Bonaparte talked us into the 13 euro a head lunchtime deal (we were bracing ourselves for at least 30 euro a head). It was a great decision, the food was great, the service very friendly and a real buzzing lunchtime atmosphere.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stumbled on to this restaurant when looking for another street behind the port. It was Sunday 2 pm and most of the restaurants were closing. The owner welcomed us in, never made us feel rushed, suggested a fine local white wine. We had moules gratinee provencale, followed by scallops and daurade as our main course. The food was fresh and very tasty.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

It's August and it's high season in an intensely touristy town, so my expectations weren't particularly high, but other reviews on this site seemed promising. (This site needs to tighten up it's credibility, methinks). We made a reservation and when we arrived and there were only a handful of tables seated. Over the course of the next 45 minutes the entire restaurant was seated and the staff couldn't keep up. As a starter, I ordered fish soup with the usual accompaniments, but I had to ask for the accompaniments. A moment after the tardy plate with the rouille, croutons and cheese landed on the table a roach hopped off and ran under the table top. A few minutes later it ran back on to the table and back on the plate of origin to it's apparent home under the ramekin of rouille. At that point I removed the plate from the table myself. The owner, to his credit, sensed something amiss and asked if there was a problem. I don't speak French and to that point he hadn't offered much English, so I said, "No," not wanting to make a scene. Other problems like forgotten drinks and food that seemed designed for fast service in high season left me cold. Perhaps at other times of year it could be quite good, but at high season I felt like just another tourist chump making the cash register ring. If beautiful, touristy Cassis has more thoughtful and caring dining options in August, I didn't find them in my short stay. Perhaps the key is get away from the town center?