“truly suthiper. Why not the top ranking?”
Review of L'esperance

L'esperance
Ranked #6 of 106 Restaurants in Bandol
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,130 helpful votes
“truly suthiper. Why not the top ranking?”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

a real culinary delight, and way above others of a different genre. it is small and you need to book several days in advance. Mme is front of house and Monsieur is the talented chef. Try the €31 menu. I started with slow cooked confit of rabbit with slivers of foie gras. my main was veal on flavoured polenta. both well matched combinations. the vacherin to follow was an artistic delight. wines are expensive but good. dont forget to say hello to their dog Vigas

• Visited June 2013

“Wonderful Dinner in Bändel”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The Food was very Good! We've ordered meet and fish. Chocolate moose was perfekt! The staff was friendly, but they don't speak any englisch. They didn't know, what means dry vine.:) very funny! Good prices: 2 Starters, 2 main Cources, 2 Desserts, bottle vine, 2 apperetives just for 100€

Cormatin, France
“Should be no.1 in Bandol, flawless food & service, a perfect evening”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My dinner at l'Espérance far exceeded the high expectations I had after reading the reviews here. Not only was it by far the standout meal of my 5 days in Bandol, it was the best meal I've had in a restaurant in France in years. Absolutely outstanding, from start to finish!! The chef is amazingly talented, and his charming wife who serves as hostess, waitress and sommelier is delightful. There was not a single false note throughout the entire evening. When we arrived, we were the last table in a completely full restaurant (I had booked several days beforehand, reservations are clearly a must!) and the mostly older crowd was in the process of getting their starters or main courses delivered, so we did have to wait a while to place our drink order. However, the generous serving of house-made tapenade and fresh bread on a lovely olive-wood cutting board made the wait easier. My friend and I were both tempted by exactly the same things: we started with blue lobster on a bed of freshly shaved celery, accompanied by a zucchini flower stuffed with crab. Heavenly!! And the Bandol white that the chef's wife recommended was the perfect match. Then we continued with the Angus beef garnished with truffle mashed potatoes. Orgasmic! The best beef I have ever eaten in France (and being originally from Texas, I have *very* high standards for steak ;) and the truffle mash makes my mouth water now just remembering it again... paired with a wonderful Bandol red also on the advice of the chef's wife. Both wines were very reasonably priced too. The cheese plate was composed of one slice each of sheep's milk, cow's milk and goat's milk cheese, all of which had been aged to perfection. For dessert, we both got the house-made nougat glacé, which was stellar. I'm so sad that I live too far from Bandol to become a regular at this restaurant. If I do have the chance to be down south again, I will definitely make a detour to eat here again. In Paris, you would pay a lot more to enjoy food of this quality (I believe the menu we had was around 48 euros, a bargain given how much we loved everything!) If you are a food-lover and you are within 2 hours of Bandol, do yourself a favour and eat here.

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank CathyFrance
Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,130 helpful votes
“a real artist in the kitchen”
Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

a very small restaurant in the street back from the front run by a husband and wife team. The husband is the chef and we have yet to meet him despite several dinners there. It is essential to book as they cater for exact numbers. this time we had the €31 menu. The veal main course was particularly memorable. Wines are expensive even by Bandol standards. service impeccable. we have already reserved next for 13 june!

1 Thank alanreynolds
Riga, Latvia
“Simply the Best”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We spent 5 days in Bandol and every day visited new restaurant for lunch and dinner. Now we can for sure say that L'esperance is the best restaurant in Bandol. This family restaurant has only seven tables and serves haut cuisine food. We took two sets with champagne, vine and one digestive and it cost us 111€. My wife was exited with peageon breast which she took for a starter. Thare are two types of restaurants in Bandol: with a good see view and tasty food. L'esperance for sure is the one with delicious food. It is important to make a reservation in advance.

• Visited May 2012