“Fresh, Top Quality Food. You would never go hungery at Les Remparts”
Review of Les Remparts

Les Remparts
Ranked #5 of 129 Restaurants in Saintes
Cuisines: Delicatessen, French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I have visited Saintes many times and never spotted this great restaurant. There is nothing pretentious about it but they serve excellent quality food. The service is fast and efficient and the range of food is staggering. The four of us all enjoyed two or three courses from the set menu; there is a selection that would suit almost anyone. Three of us enjoyed a wonderful selection of food from the buffet, the food available went through fish, shellfish, meats, and a huge range of vegetables and salads. The main course selection was fish, meat or a vegetarian option and we all enjoyed what we selected; the cod with mussels being voted best. The puddings are excellent. You don't need to splash out on wine - the house wine sold by glass or jug is excellent value and quality.
This is a gem of a restaurant and well worth a visit but I suggest you book it is very popular.

There are newer reviews for Les Remparts

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant tonight. We're driving to the south of Spain from Ireland. We stopped off in this very lovely city of Saintes. We came across this buzzy restaurant and with our little dog went in at 7pm . Within 30mins it was filling up fast. This is a very clever set up. They offer the possibility of eating two or three courses on the menu of the day. With a choice of three mains. For 13.40€ it was 3 courses. 11.50€ for any 2 courses. Menu for Bambinos up to 10yrs, 7€ and some cent (cannot remember sorry). My husband went al la carte. The common Entree is the Buffet table. One may fill a small plate a couple of times should they desire and many do. I had Terrine and Roll mops. Lovely. We had amuse buche of Pea soup, devine. I had a local fish that I'd never heard of. It came with a butter caper sauce, rice and green beans. Very generous. And very tasty. Himself had 6 Oysters and Entrecote with Frittes . He loved it. We shared Creme Caramel with a side scoop of great raspberry icecream, lovely, and a side dish of confectioners custard. Lovely. Half bottle of white wine, a beer and a G and T, 45€. Tip extra. Amazing value. No wonder they are full. We walked around town and many restaurants were empty. It speaks for itself. Gourmet it's not but it is very good and great value.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have dined here a number of times and have been delighted every time. Good food, good value, nice atmosphere, attentive and friendly staff. What more could you ask? Last Friday I arranged a lunch for 16 and we were all delighted. It won't just be me returning for another helping! Bravo Les Remparts!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

But make sure you book ahead. A few other people, mostly local residents, have noticed that a 3-course lunch, right in the centre of Saintes, for 12.90 euros is astonishing value. It's been rammed on the two occasions we've visited. All right, the cooking probably wouldn't win Michelin stars but this is seriously good quality food at a very modest price, served efficiently and with a bit of charm despite a very busy restaurant.
The choice, chalked up on a board, is relatively limited and the vast majority of diners probably go with the two- or three-course fixed menus. The eat-all-you-want buffet for the starter is an inspired idea, really well stocked with a great variety of salads, hors-d'oeuvres, quiche, cold meats, fish etc. There are usually three choices for the main course and four or five desserts on offer (the pain perdu is amazing - do not be swayed by rival choices!). All for that very modest prix fixe.
One criticism - for vegetarians they make a wonderful omelette, the best of many I've had to endure in France, but they charge full price for that and then for the other courses. Why couldn't the veggie option be included in the prix fixe?

Reviewed October 31, 2013

For once decided to do my homework and check the TA reviews before visiting Saintes. How glad I am. Yes the buffet is excellent especially for seafood lovers like me but also really good choice of charcuterie. Main course was a bavette steak which is what it is however two other choices available including fish, I had the 2 course choice, 13 euros ish, my husband also had a sweet, 15 euros ish. Well priced pichets of wine. How they do it for those prices I don't know, lovely attentive service with a smile. Just for clarity they do the formula offer in the evening as well as lunchtime (I wasn't sure they would).

Word of warning, don't rely on your garmin gps to find it, it doesn't recognise the address, look on their website and put the adjacent street in, it's just in the pedestrian area opposite the town hall. Plus do reserve. I know where we're going to stop on the long trek back to the UK.