Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Having managed to find a parking space - I had foolishly thought that on a Thursday in late April, the place would be empty, which it was not - anyway, we found a parking space in the hotel's car park.

We got there at 1PM, which we knew to be early for checking in, but the person at the reception desk couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. In 5 minutes, we were in our room, facing the ocean; everything was clean and ready for us, one well was basically all glass giving out onto our own private balcony.

The one disappointment was that there were not enough toiletries (shower§shampoo) for 2 people, so I called reception and within minutes, we had a full box of toiletries and a voucher for a free drink as an apology. Problem gone.

The hotel fronts onto a little lake, which is itself right on the seafront, so nothing to impair one's view of the ocean, of the far side of Les Sables d'Olonne and the beach takes about 5 minutes to walk to.

We had dinner at the hotel's restaurant and here I have to thank the maître d'hotel for finding us a table by the windows with the place full - apparently they had read my comment on the on-line booking that it was our anniversary!

The reception, bar and restaurant were very welcoming, the food was excellent and the wine list very sufficient, with a little surprise: it wasn't a rip-off (no it wasn't cheap either!)

Breakfast in bed, everything fresh and tasty - and still able to look out to see from out balcony.

As this was all a bit last-minute for us, we didn't have time to try out the pool and spa areas, but we will definitely be going back soon for a few days to give the spa a proper try.

To conclude: a very good hotel, extremely helpful staff and the bar and restaurant complement the rest very well. Not cheap, but not rip-off prices either and we didn't go there to be cheap.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Obviously, the sea view is well worth having; some rooms have a sofa in addition to the very comfort...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

First off, this is a really good hotel and the sea-going concept is well- realised; room furnishings have an excellent sea-cabin feel to them and the public rooms all look great. However, I am judging it by the 4 star standards to which the hotel aspires and I thought the staff were a little off the pace; any requests of the room staff were re- directed to the management for a decision ( eg extra de- caffeinated coffee sachets for a couple of de- caff drinkers) and a trainee at reception - who I'm sure will be excellent in a couple of months - was left to deal with simple questions alone and was not quite up to the task). Back onto the positive side, the breakfast was good value (excellent staff here, BTW) and dinners were very good value although, again, staff weren't brilliant - it's just not good enough to dump the amuse bouche on the table and disappear without explaining what it is. Definitely 4 star potential though.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in august.
The hotel is modern, nicely decorated and well located (not in the center, but close to the beach). Lovely rooms with small balcony, comfortable bed. The free parking is also an advantage .
The best part of our stay was the swimming pool with jacuzzi, available to guests. We also enjoyed the outdoor sunbeds (we were lucky to have warm weather).
There's also an external pool but it is small, designed for young children.
A little disappointment though, the breakfast (16 €) : limited choice, tasteless coffee, uneatable omelet (are there fresh eggs inside ?).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We chose the hotel because of the disability access. French hotels lag behind British hotels and The Canaries so it was pleasing to find one in this area. Firstly the hotel decor is lovely and all staff were friendly helpful and efficient. The food in the restaurant was excellent and drinks were not too expensive. However the disabled room had a bath and no walk in shower as we were only staying for 2 days that in itself was not insurmountable but if we had been staying longer it would have been a problem for my husband who cannot get into a bath. Also toilet grab rail was only on left side on the wall there was no dropdown grab rail so I had to assist my husband get off the toilet as he has a paralysed left side. There is no disabled access to the outdoor swimming pool area which ruled it out for us . I could have enjoyed a sunny day in and by the pool but my husband would have been locked out. A pity we would liked to have returned and won't rule it out for a short stay but the search continues for a hotel with proper disabled access. One final point I rated the cleanliness as average because our room wasn't cleaned well. My nightie was on the floor in the corner. I had inadvertently left water in the bath because I hadn't been able to turn the draining thingy with a wet hand and left it till I was dry only remembering it when we were out I returned to find water still in bath and sink area hadn't been cleaned and tidied obviously the cleaner has a memory like mine!.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I pitched up here in 2012 and enjoyed it so much that I booked a return visit unaware that a multi-million Euro refurbishment was being undertaken between visits. The money has certainly been well spent and enhanced the whole experience for me. The new 'cruise ship' themed decor starts outside with a subtle styling of the building and the nautical theme, which is very apparent in the reception area, continues into the bedrooms themselves. It would have been simply marvellous to sail down to La Rochelle in a floating Mercure hotel....More improvements have been made to the pool area and the opening times extended a little from last year, although it would have suited me more for it to open much earlier than 10am so that I could have a little dip before breakfast and before the great unwashed (non-residents) arrived . The previously plain pool now comprises hydro-jets, massage seats etc and although I appreciate these are currently in vogue it is to the detriment of serious swimming. Only two lanes remain for doing lengths and these are invariably swum into by children. I should mention that the pool does stay open from 8pm -10pm for residents only (without any hydro-jets) but lets face it, you'll certainly be eating late that night. On one night I ate in the restaurant and it was excellent food and surprisingly good value. It was a shame that there were no half-bottles of wine available, although I did almost get through a full bottle! Special mention goes to waiter David who has a lovely rapport with the clients, some of whom actually respond to his innate charm. All of the staff, however, also deserve credit as they were all polite and friendly and the housekeeping manageress particularly has a tremendous eye for getting the rooms serviced perfectly by her hardworking staff. I didn't need a sea-view room as I am lucky enough to live in a beautiful island surrounded by sea so I know what it looks like and in fact I would say that it was quite windy at Sables d'Olonne and being on the forest facing side I was able to sit on my balcony during the evenings without getting blasted by the Atlantic currents. So, on balance I give the Mercure 5 stars BUT I do have a few small peevs. It is human nature that as soon as the supply of anything becomes limited then everyone starts to horde it. In this case it is the blue and white swimming cap without which you cannot enter the pool. So, naturally, there are never any available. After everyone had left at closing time one evening there were only about 6 left hanging up to dry. The solutions are simple 1) scrap the rule 2) charge a hefty deposit before handing them out 3) strip search people as they leave the changing room. A similar scenario concerns the sun beds. I was in the gym for 45 mins while 3 sunbeds lay unoccupied outside the window but adorned with towels. Eventually a woman arrived. Then her husband. Then, much later, an ugly child. Then the father decided to pop into the pool for half an hour. Please rent the sun-beds out, with a number and ticket system or, alternatively, provide enough that they do not need to be 'bagged' half an hour before breakfast. Talking of breakfast, I could not fault the choice but the self-service area can get cramped at busy times. Interesting, though, to watch people stare at items presumably familiar to them but for their brains not to process the image. I just cannot fathom out why people have to hesitate when they are given a choice with the certain knowledge that they are delaying the more focussed stood behind them.......

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Best Western Les Roches Noires
Best Western Les Roches Noires
#4 of 28 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Kyriad Les Sables D'Olonne - Plage
Kyriad Les Sables D'Olonne - Pla...
#5 of 28 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
#8 of 28 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
ibis Les Sables d'Olonne Centre
ibis Les Sables d'Olonne Centre
#9 of 28 in Les Sables-d'Olonne

Been to Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection

Address: Route du Tour de France | Lac de Tanchet, 85100, Les Sables-d'Olonne, France
Location: France > Pays de la Loire > Vendee > Les Sables-d'Olonne
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Casino and Gambling Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#1 Business Hotel in Les Sables-d'Olonne
#3 Romantic Hotel in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Price Range: $144 - $236 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection 4*
Located beside the sea, next to a pine forest and featuring 100 airconditioned and renovated rooms, a restaurant, a bar and 3 meeting rooms. The hotel is directly connected to the Thalassotherapy Institute, Beauty Salon and Fitness area with heated sea water pool, gym, sauna, Middle Eastern hammam and whirlpool. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa Les Sables D'Olonne MGallery Collection France/Vendee