“Somme 1 day tour”

Chemins d'Histoire Battlefield Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Chemins d'Histoire is a legally registered Battlefield tours company specialized on the Great War. We offer 1 or 2 day tours of the Western Front and are happy and proud to share with you our expertise. The tours could be entirely made to measure and according to your nationality (Australian, Canadian, American, South African, etc...). The tours are conducted in a luxurious Mercedes V-Class air-conditioned minibus. CHBT Public transport licence : 2015/22/0000452
Reviewed October 27, 2012

8/10 Did a one day tour of the Somme commencing at 0900 in St Quentin after taking early train from Paris.

We were greeted by our guide Oliver from Chemins d'Histoire Battlefield Tours. The size of our group was only 6 which is a good size for touring this region - much more personalised tour as result.

Our day took us to many of the Australian sites including the Australian Memorial and the Victoria school at Villers-Bretonneux, Poziers, Fromelles to name but a few. Oliver assisted a family on the tour with finding the grave site of their Great Uncle and even took us to the likely spot where he would have been wounded - very moving moment even for me.

Although it was a wet day Oliver turned that to our favour by explaining the conditions that the soldiers would have had to endure. The day seemed to go very fast, was very informative and before we knew it we were back in Saint Quentin waiting for the 1800 train back to Paris - where did the day go!

Oliver was a splendid guide who speaks excellent English, has a very deep knowledge and understanding of the Battlefields and is a Licensed guide. I cannot speak highly enough of Oliver

Would strongly recommend, especially if time in France is short

1  Thank OssieDan
"family members"
in 5 reviews
"end of the day"

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Olivier metaphorically placed us in the boots of our Aussie relative,creating an amazing 'picture' of the horrors that occured in the region. He has an impressive knowledge & conducted the tour in an orderly,respectful manner ending up with pinpointing our 'missing' relative's name on the Menin Gate. A memorable journey. We would highly recommend Olivier and his tour.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Olivier is amazing. We went on a one day tour on 13/10, it was a very wet day but Olivier was prepared with ponchos and umbrellas. The tour was fascinating all those battles in the history books and Olivier gave us so much interesting information about them all. My daughter also enjoyed the tour and it is not really her thing. Olivier took us to our relatives grave which was very emotional but the cemeteries are so well kept and very peaceful places that we felt that he rests in peace with his cobblers. Would like to highly recommend this tour, Olivier a geat guide and a really nice person. We loved it all.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Olivier is absolutely wonderful. I contacted him as a means of finding out if he would take me out to visit my Great Great Uncles grave in Awoingt on the Western Front. Many emails went back and forth, with Olivier outlining a detailed day with multiple itineraries to suit my requirements. I mentioned I wanted to head to Paris at the end of the day, and Olivier worked to find out train times, and which itinerary would be best. I was incredibly impressed. In the end I organised Paris for the next day so I could spend as much possible absorbing Oliviers Knowledge - a very wise decision! He is just like an Encyclopedia of facts, and had mapped out the entire day to fit everything in perfectly. Each location came with a multitude of amazing information, and is to date one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I visited my Great Great Uncles grave at Awoingt British Cemetery, which was in itself a very moving experience. Olivier is very respectful, and shows great sensitivity. I had my private moment at the grave, and Olivier took time away. The amount of knowledge he posseses is outstanding, and his passion for the history and his job is very apparent, and greatly admired. I am very happy I came across Oliviers Website, and chose him as my guide. I couldn't have asked for a better day.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our booking was made easily and with no fuss via email and Olivier turned up at the appointed time at our hotel for the first day of our two day tour to the battlefields that involved mainly Australian forces in WW1. Olivier's knowledge and passion were outstanding and he personalised the tour to our requirements which included the Last Post ceremony at Menin Gate. Olivier is an accredited guide which gives his clients assured protection in the case of any accidents or mishaps. We would certainly recommend Olivier to any Australians wishing to do a similar tour and his tours represent extremely good value for money.