“Do not book this place if you have children!”

and 1 more site!
La Sole Meuniere Hotel/Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Calais
Reviewed September 10, 2013

You can read the previous reviews about the state of the place (something that I omitted to do before booking!). All I will add is that my husband, two children and I were given a room on the second floor with doors that didnt lock and cracked glass on the balcony. this place is quite frankly a health hazard and should be pulled down. I refused to stay here, and demanded a refund from the receptionist which she gave with no hestiation, and encouraged me to write my experience up. Please do not stay here if you have kids, it is not safe.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for one night after travelling from Switzerland through France doing a little tour of cities. This was our last destination as we wanted a bed to sleep in before our early morning tunnel. This location was ideal for us, as it didn't take us long to get to the tunnel. The bed was okay, but at that point we were desperate to sleep in a bed so anything would have done. Lots of street noise, but the bathroom was okay and the shower was okay. Just okay in general really. However the woman behind reception was lovely.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is awful! We stayed in Room 3 and it stank of sewers. The toilet had an electric flush which didn't work properly hence the smell! The bed was reasonably comfy and at least the sheets were clean. The whole place is in dire need of refurbishment. I couldn't wait to get out of the place oh and the breakfast was awful too- cereal or bread for 9 euro. I can definitely say we will never stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Winchcombe
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had trouble finding this hotel, so phoned only to be told that they had given our reservation to someone else! Although they said check in was until 11pm (and it was 9pm) they had expected us to phone by 6pm and let them know we would be 'late'. They had also refused to take our American Express card but despite making the booking seven days before hand did not tell us. If you want to find yourself without a room late at night in a foreign country by all means book into this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here overnight before sailing back to dover after a weeks holiday in France. On arrival the reception area was slightly dated but the receptionist was nice enought and gave us keys to our room. The restaurant looked lovely so we expected a lovely room too. Unfortunately this was not the case. The room was very basic and very old fashioned. There was a double bed, a bedside table, a small table with a chair and a small shelf with a tv on it (i think the tv was the modernest thing in the room). The wardrobe was a single small metal bar underneath the tv shelf, good job we were only there for one night. There were 2 lamps and a very dim ceiling light in the room. The sockets that the lamps were plugged into were hanging off the wall, not very safe to be honest.
Next i went into the bathroom, the stink was awful, the tilet was a little odd, electric in some fashion and the shower looked very old and not exactly clean. Apparently it is like being back in Greece and you can't put toilet paper down the toilet, but the sign telling you this is actually behind the toilet so you don't see this until you have already done it, and no it won't flush away due to the poor toilet.
I wouldn't recommend this place, not even for a quick overnight stay, i'm sure you could pick up the ibis budget or camponile which are very clean and modern for the same price.
The final thing i would say about this place is definitely don't book it if you tall. I'm only 5ft9 and the bed wasn't long enough, feel hanging over the end which resulted in a poor nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am amazed that an incredibly good restaurant which I have eaten in several times before, could even THINK of owning/linking themselves to such a dingy, dirty, horrendous "hotel" Filthy dirty carpets, cracked and broken windows, a bathroom which can only be compared with a "down the garden" but with the bonus of having running water! The loo was so noisy one needed ear plugs. The bathroom SO small I surmised that one could actually sit on the loo and have a shower (there was no hook up for the shower so it had to be hand held) and if needs be, could be sick in the sink all at the same time! Very effective time wise! The room was dingy and dark, and dirty so I did not want to touch the telly control, so I have no idea whether the telly worked or not. We actually had an hilarious evening texting and sending pictures to our children..... one in Saudi and one here in England with photographs of this MORE than basic room/hotel! No lift, or porter or help with luggage, so one had to lug ones suitcase up 3 flights of stairs. Building resembles a 1950 high rise council estate. When you arrive you have to pay upfront... ie before you see the room, I now know why! I wish we had read your trip advisor reports before we booked there....... we would NEVER have booked!

Room Tip: Forget staying here!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here en route from Oxford to La Rochelle and knew we would be only there for a few hours so didn't want to pay the earth. The 35E we paid on booking.com was fair but I would not want to pay anymore.
Pros - very close to the Euro tunnel terminal, very accommodating for a late check in (they gave us a pin code for the door and left a key in the key safe). The bed linen appeared quite clean.
Cons - very basic rooms with old decor and poor furnishings. Although a non-smoking room the soft furnishings (Ben throw etc)smelt of stale smoke. The bathroom en suite was not very clean and smelt of damp and also had no light.
We decided to get on the road early so did not stay for breakfast.
In conclusion this is a no frills hotel that provides a cheap place to briefly stop over but I would not recommend staying for much longer.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple