“Difficult to find and Unreliable”

and 1 more site!
La Sole Meuniere Hotel/Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Calais
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had trouble finding this hotel, so phoned only to be told that they had given our reservation to someone else! Although they said check in was until 11pm (and it was 9pm) they had expected us to phone by 6pm and let them know we would be 'late'. They had also refused to take our American Express card but despite making the booking seven days before hand did not tell us. If you want to find yourself without a room late at night in a foreign country by all means book into this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here overnight before sailing back to dover after a weeks holiday in France. On arrival the reception area was slightly dated but the receptionist was nice enought and gave us keys to our room. The restaurant looked lovely so we expected a lovely room too. Unfortunately this was not the case. The room was very basic and very old fashioned. There was a double bed, a bedside table, a small table with a chair and a small shelf with a tv on it (i think the tv was the modernest thing in the room). The wardrobe was a single small metal bar underneath the tv shelf, good job we were only there for one night. There were 2 lamps and a very dim ceiling light in the room. The sockets that the lamps were plugged into were hanging off the wall, not very safe to be honest.
Next i went into the bathroom, the stink was awful, the tilet was a little odd, electric in some fashion and the shower looked very old and not exactly clean. Apparently it is like being back in Greece and you can't put toilet paper down the toilet, but the sign telling you this is actually behind the toilet so you don't see this until you have already done it, and no it won't flush away due to the poor toilet.
I wouldn't recommend this place, not even for a quick overnight stay, i'm sure you could pick up the ibis budget or camponile which are very clean and modern for the same price.
The final thing i would say about this place is definitely don't book it if you tall. I'm only 5ft9 and the bed wasn't long enough, feel hanging over the end which resulted in a poor nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am amazed that an incredibly good restaurant which I have eaten in several times before, could even THINK of owning/linking themselves to such a dingy, dirty, horrendous "hotel" Filthy dirty carpets, cracked and broken windows, a bathroom which can only be compared with a "down the garden" but with the bonus of having running water! The loo was so noisy one needed ear plugs. The bathroom SO small I surmised that one could actually sit on the loo and have a shower (there was no hook up for the shower so it had to be hand held) and if needs be, could be sick in the sink all at the same time! Very effective time wise! The room was dingy and dark, and dirty so I did not want to touch the telly control, so I have no idea whether the telly worked or not. We actually had an hilarious evening texting and sending pictures to our children..... one in Saudi and one here in England with photographs of this MORE than basic room/hotel! No lift, or porter or help with luggage, so one had to lug ones suitcase up 3 flights of stairs. Building resembles a 1950 high rise council estate. When you arrive you have to pay upfront... ie before you see the room, I now know why! I wish we had read your trip advisor reports before we booked there....... we would NEVER have booked!

Room Tip: Forget staying here!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here en route from Oxford to La Rochelle and knew we would be only there for a few hours so didn't want to pay the earth. The 35E we paid on booking.com was fair but I would not want to pay anymore.
Pros - very close to the Euro tunnel terminal, very accommodating for a late check in (they gave us a pin code for the door and left a key in the key safe). The bed linen appeared quite clean.
Cons - very basic rooms with old decor and poor furnishings. Although a non-smoking room the soft furnishings (Ben throw etc)smelt of stale smoke. The bathroom en suite was not very clean and smelt of damp and also had no light.
We decided to get on the road early so did not stay for breakfast.
In conclusion this is a no frills hotel that provides a cheap place to briefly stop over but I would not recommend staying for much longer.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Having read some of the reviews about this hotel, we were in fear, and apprehension about our stay. We booked the hotel with Hotels Booking.com, and at €37.50 for a double room, this represented excellent value. The rooms were tired, and the furniture in need of a change, but they were clean, with comfortable beds, and warm. Stayed in room number 11, which was spacious, offering good views over the port. Would return if in Calais.

Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Fueng2768
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was a very poor excuse for a hotel, we choose it because of the location, and the offer and reviews on booking.com, we were sorely dissapointed. The room was semi clean, and the noise from the street until 3 in the morning, was not anyway welcoming, We opted for breakfast in the moriing, at 9+ Euros, what a joke that was, there was a toaster, no bread, juicer no fruit to juice, there was stale rolls and a couple peices of bread, very dark, very dry, there was a coffee machine which had a large selection to choose from, only a couple of buttons worked, Got half a cup had to use the milk for cereal to fill cup up but the milk was sour. So no cereal, there was nothing about this meal to rave about, there was also no staff there to ask for help. Never again.

Room Tip: Dont go there Dont waste your money on breakfast..
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

It really is not unreasonable to assume that because a restaurant is excellent, its own hotel is likely to aspire to the same standards.
Not so in this case. I have been to the Sole Meuniere restaurant many times and it's always been good. This time I decided to stay at their hotel and was shocked how awful it was.
It reminds me of hotels I used to stay in in East Germany in the 70's. Dark, dingy, filthy dirty and depressing. The public areas are just beyond belief.
The carpet in our room was filthy, the shower was falling to pieces and had mould growing on the ceiling, the bedcovers were dirty and old (the sheets were OK) the lighting was dim, the paint on the bedside tables was peeling, the curtains were both dirty and old ... the whole experience one one would not wish to repeat.
You are given a code to gain access the hotel after 9pm (when reception closes). It is written on a tiny, scrappy piece of paper which when I left my room I accidentally left behind. Both 'emergency' phone numbers on the door didn't answer and so I was left freezing cold outside the hotel unable to gain access until I was able to get my partner on her phone to come down and open the door. Again, quite appalling.
Calais itself on a Friday night sounds like a wild west town. People shouting and bellowing until 3 in the morning outside our window - nothing to do with the hotel - but it is still intimidating to stay in that sort of area.
I wouldn't wish staying here on anyone ... there are many far better hotels in Calais for the same sort of money.
I really do urge the owners to do something before the myriad of lousy write ups about the hotel begin to drag the restaurant down with it.

Room Tip: Avoid a room overlooking the road .... you will be awake all night
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family