“This place is mental!”

La Sole Meuniere Hotel/Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Calais
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We found this place in the logis book which we thought would mean it would be good. This place is not. Quite dated and dingy, tv doesn't work. Wifi is good though and the shower is good. Would I stay here again not a chance. It will be a good conversation starter though.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed June 9, 2012

This hotel was the only place we could find available for our friends with 3 children and us with 2. If you can stay somewhere else you should. In fact, avoid Calais like the plague as it is a hole! The hotel was pretty basic with the most bizarre/dated decor I have ever seen. Our room was themed 'India'. It had two African bongo drums which doubled as side lamps and a Thai looking tapestry on the walls. The only good thing was that the sheets were clean and it had two double beds in our room. Our room looked over the Black Pearl bar which kicked the drinkers out at about 4am and they made a lot of noise. We couldn't open the windows as they were floor to ceiling patio doors which opened onto a balcony with broken reinforced glass in it. Not really very safe when kids are around. The bathroom was tiny with no window and a very noisy toilet. The room smelt of old soap mixed with stale fags. The service was with a snarl and the breakfast was a joke for 9 Euros. I had to ask the woman for glasses, mugs, croissants etc etc constantly and she just sat at a desk hiding. It was only worth staying here for the fact it was near the ferry port and for the sheer comedy of it all.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sophie R
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I was very disappointed with the hotel, I have eaten in restaurant many times on my travel as found first class, but seems the owners do not have the same approach to the hotel as the restaurant. It is very tired and in need of improvement. The stairs and passages are very dark and lights are off by default, finding the light switches is very difficult.
Whilst I agree with not leaving lights on they should be automatic in public ways or very clear where to activate
The room (17) very tired and the curtains did not fit the INTERNET WOULD NOT WORK IN THE ROOM!!!
The shower room was old tatty and cramp. Not what one expects these days.
A 4*plus restaurant with a 2* minus hotel
As internet is essential I would not use again many chain hotels in Calais offer more for far less.
Room also stank of smoke yet a no smoking hotel, probably from old pre smoking days due to lack of decorating regularly

Room Tip: dont stay here much better hotels for much less in Calais
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Had the misfortune of staying here for one night on our way back to the UK. Very shabby room, wallpaper peeling off, smelly & depressing. Bathroom was antiquated and shabby, toilet was an unusual construction & the shower did not function properly which meant that the water did not drain away quickly enough leaving you standing in dirty water. The wi-fi did not work either. One positive, the sheets were clean.
Be aware, this place was actually recommended & booked for us by the tourist office in Calais! Cost €76 including a lock up garage for 1 night.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

My wife and I had a stopover in Calais after arriving on the ferry from Dover. I picked the La Sole Meuniere hotel because it was close the ferry port and because of the reputation of the restaurant. We were not disappointed the restaurant was superb and was not too expensive considering the meal. The hotel was nice and we had a large room and was very good value for money. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed April 1, 2012

thank god we have only booked for 1 night , the place looks old and dated, my wife went to the loo in reception when we arrived and it was unclean , bags of laundry stacked up in there ? .no hot water in the room. we will not be staying here again . we was told about parking on the steet near the hotel DONT cars get broken into all the time.we have paid 10 euro to rent a garage for the night from the hotel.and the staff are not to friendly either, and the restaurant was closed??? i think we are the only one's staying here.wish I had waited and found a nice place when we got here rather than pre booking .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gorgebabe
Reviewed January 21, 2012

This is my second review. I have been going here for years. As I have said.. The hotel is not great, but the restaurant was absolutely brilliant for the money. It was a touch of the things I used to go to France for. Reasonably priced food with generousity. Before writing this I returned twice in 2 months, just in case my problems were a seasonable hicup. The staff are still attentive and friendly, the food is good, but not....as good.... Whats happened to the prices and the generousity of the place. Equivilently, prices have gone up by a considerable amount and courses have been dropped. What happened to the cheese board on the two cheaper menus? Basically.. You don't get what you used to get, and now pay more money for what you do not get.... There are now better restaurants in Calais with better prices, that do not stint on their generiousity. If this place wants to keep its UK clientelle it will have to change its attitude.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family