“Beautiful Hotel in a Beautiful Town”
Review of La Cle d'Opale

La Cle d'Opale
Ranked #1 of 9 Calais B&B and Inns
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Hotel in a Beautiful Town”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a beautiful double room and were very impressed with the warm welcome we received from Isabelle (the owner). We had been travelling for a couple of nights and I have to say without doubt that La Cle d'opale was our favorite and we would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone travelling to or from Calais, a great start or end to being in France. Get to at least look at the Town Hall it is a fantastic sight. Too many of us just whizz through, we must all enjoy Calais more and 'La Cle D'Opale' is just the 'icing on the Gateau'. Perfect stopover within this very nice town house within walking distance of Calais and it makes an excellent overnight stop.We were made very welcome and given a map as well as recommending a couple of bistros within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Isabelle is a lovely host that can be proud of her beautiful converted lace-makers house that she has been fitting out to a fantastically high standard. Our room was beautiful and very luxurious - I wish I could have a shower like that in my own home! The complimentary Wi-Fi is a fantastic bonus for foreign travellers and a nice touch these days when everyone seems to be looking for any excuse to charge you. We did not eat breakfast due to wanting to sleep in as late as possible and then rush off as soon as the street parking charges kick in at 9am (free overnight until 9am - more than enough time) - but what we saw of the breakfast looked lovely and the breakfast room (like the rest of the house) has been beautifully restored. Overall, a lovely place that we would definitely book again if we overnight in Calais.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew V
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My mum and I stayed here during a quick trip to Calais to do some Christmas Shopping. We were so impressed by our host and the beautifully decorated B&B. We usually stay in hotels but this will be where we stay in future in Calais. Our host gave us brilliant restaurant recommendations and even booked us a table for dinner when we arrived. You can choose what time you have breakfast and it is delicious!

Everything about this B&B is stylish and relaxing. A true haven.

Room Tip: Request the room on the top floor - this is the best room :-)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hertford, England
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked this hotel over the internet as it had such good reviews. From the outside it looked lovely, unfortunately we never saw our room,which also sounded very nice. We arrive at 4.15. and rung the bell. No reply. Looked though the window and could see a man, so rang again. No reply. Tried once more. Lady came to the door and said that we could not book in until 4.30 and to stop ringing the bell, I don't think I have ever been spoken to so rudely. We only wanted to know if private paying parking was available. We went back at 4.45 and the "Lady" who had answered the door was in fact the owner. We said we no longer wanted to stay and she agreed to cancel our booking free of charge. We were very disappointed but would not stay after being made to feel so unwelcome. We went to an hotel we had used before and they had a room.

Room Tip: Don't arrive early, not even 10 minutes.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J0anne999
ISABELLE P, Gérant at La Cle d'Opale, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Sir and Madam,
I was really surprised to read a review about your visit to my B&B, especially since you didn't actually stay here.
You did book one night on the 3rd of November, 2012. You rang at the bell four times in two minutes. As i was on the second floor, i went downstairs as quickly as i could.
You were in fact 3/4 hours before the start of check-in time, as clearly stated on your booking when you arrived. I was really busy with my other responsibilities so that i was unable to check you in at that time.
When you returned, you complained about my "poor behaviour".
I didn't insist and cancelled your booking without charging you although I had the right to do so.
Before leaving, you finally confessed that :
- you were then very tired,
- you turned up because you didn't want to pay for the public car-park (the time for checking-in) but wanted to use immediately my secure car-park, previously booked.
If I were so rude as you wrote,
- why didn't I charge you ?
- why did I help you to find another hotel using my PC ?
Yours sincerely,
Isabelle.
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed in this tastefully restored B&B on a stop-gap travel from England to Germany and were thorouighly impressed with the service and decor. Even though we arrived well past the 23:00 hrs deadline we were still welcomed with a smile and slept fabulously in pristine high thread-count sheets. Even though our spacious room was facing the road, the double glazing made sure that we were not disturbed until we were ready for our breakfast. This was a simple yet delicious affair with the freshest of ingredients. We will be staying here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My partner and I stayed in a beautifully appointed double room and were very impressed with the warm welcome we received from the owner. We have been travelling for a couple of months and I have to say without doubt that La Cle d'opale has been my favorite and I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone travelling to Calais, whether for one night or a week!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Solihull
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This very nice town house within walking distance of Calais makes an excellent overnight stop. The house itself is charming and has only recently opened its doors to guests. The owner made us very welcome and gave us a map as well as recommending a couple of bistros. We did not sample breakfast as we had an early crossing.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calais
Holiday Inn Calais - Coquelles
#5 of 24 in Calais
Nuit d'Ailleurs
Nuit d'Ailleurs
#2 of 9 in Calais

Been to La Cle d'Opale? Share your experiences!