Hotel Meurice
$91
ibis Styles
  • Breakfast included
$79
All reviewssweeping staircaseantique furnituregrand staircasejacuzzi bathfaded gloryseparate toiletold styletraditional french hotellovely hotelstep back in timeloved this hotelthe ground floorquiet streetside streetrue royalefew minutes walkrestaurants and bars
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked this solely on the recommendation of TripAdvisor reviews - stayed in July 2013. Staying on my own in a double room.

+ The ground floor room I stayed in was very comfortable and quiet
+ Everything worked in the room, tea, coffee, kettle
+ I could plug in my own RCA connector to the TV so I could use my own media player.
+ Breakfast was fine, lots of choice, fresh baguettes
+ Staff friendly and no problem speaking English to me

- Toilet seat fell off
- Some of the tiles around the bath were damaged and needed repair

hence ... overall I think this is a great place to stay and would come back - although from the outside it does look like a prison, inside is 'old worldy' France and very comfortable - you won't be disappointed if you stay here.

However ... I was surprised when the toilet seat fell off and tiles were damaged in the bathroom as these are things cleaners should be reporting and checking on, on a daily basis. Overall though, 9 out of 10 for Hotel Meurice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jnoWales
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked this hotel because of the excellent trip advisor reviews

We were not particularly lucky, probably because of Internet booking, but I would add that I feel there are many "regulars" who would use this Hotel time and again.

First the good--
What a great place, full of character and charm, a veritable history lesson, warm and friendly, reasonable well appointed, great garage facility, and conveniently located. Clearly owned by an anglophile, a pleasure to arrive.
Breakfast is excellent, and the small dining area where you take your morning feast is lovely.

Now the not so good--
The trouser press did not work, not an issue normally, but we had just arrived, very tired after a day on a motorbike touring the French Countryside, and my clothes needed pressing

The window shutter mechanism was uncared for, and did not work, however I, and my wife were really tired, needed a siesta, and just let it "ride", ready to report it in the morning, no fuss necessary, then the noise started, we were in a ground floor room, it was OK, but under a stair leading to the first floor, very noisy!!! the locals then decided to have a Sunday lunch party, not really noisy, just annoying, then a huge racket like furniture being shifted, end of our siesta, we reported the problem, and the very helpful duty manager, put on the cameras to try to see what the problem was, it then all calmed down.

The night time was fine, but being on the ground floor ensured we were early risers!!!

I reported all the problems,and was happy to re-itereate all the good things and to ask that when we returned that we should have a room "upstairs"!!

We did not receive the Senior Citizens discount, and the prices on the website are not those charged via the internet bookings, just a further "Petty aggravation"

What a pity, I really liked the place, but would recommend that any traveller sees and inspects the room, and the prices, before checking in.

Room Tip: Look at the room before checking in and be prepared to walk away, Higher rooms- less noise
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank duncanmoffatt
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We followed Tripadvisor reviewers' advice to book this hotel for a one night stopover in Calais. We agree it is clean, comfortable and quirky but we felt the €14 per person for breakfast was too much. The breakfast room is too small and the hot choices were very limited and did not seem to be being replenished. The cold selection was OK but not for the price.
Our room (Superior with Shower) was a good size and the shower room was good with a larger than normal shower. As said, it was all clean and the bed was comfortable.
We liked the water cooler available on the landing.
We would stay again but wouldn't bother with breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed one night in this hotel close to the port in Calais. It is very traditional and full of history. Large room, comfortable bed, good bathroom. Excellent breakfast with freshly squeezed orange juice. It cost £90 for the night which I thought was good value.
The only reason that we would not give this hotel 5 stars is because they allow dogs in the hotel and, worse, they allow dogs in the breakfast room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked the Family room (231) I meant to book (115) as I like the blue decor. These room are very spacious, clean , eligant , homely. A really family feel to the rooms and the hotel. Breakfast was hot or cold, lovely coffee , generally a nice way to start a day's shopping. Have been before and will go again!

Richard

Room Tip: 115 if you want the Family room. But all are good
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family