“Hotel Victoria, Calais”

Hotel Victoria
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Calais
“Hotel Victoria, Calais”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2005

We stay here regularly both as the start to a holiday and as an overnighter for a weekend in Northern France and always thoroughly enjoy ourselves. The rooms are quiet and clean, if a little basic, and the staff are always helpful and welcoming. There is no dining room but breakfast is served in the bedrooms at exactly the time you have requested with the traditional steaming pots of coffee and all the bread, croissants and jams you misght need. The area is pleasant and there is plenty of free on-road parking.

Stayed June 2005
5 Thank TracyLincolnshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2005

This has to be the most disappointing and dehumanizing experience ever in my travels. The facility itself was bad enough, but worse yet, the absolutely horrid attitude of the Inn Keeper or whatever he calls himself, was just beyond comprehension. It has been a few weeks since we stayed here, and I still can't get over how poorly treated we were, and what an awful place this was.
I had booked two rooms for my family and my parents through a popular on line travel service; specifying one room to include two children ages 3 and 1. Additionally, under the special needs section I requested a cot/crib for the baby and toddler.
Upon arrival, we were greeted with a frantically irate Frenchman pacing up and down the hallway shouting, flailing his arms, and entering and exiting a back room slamming doors. We all looked at each other in utter astonishment wondering what the problem was. After the man cooled down enough to carry on a slightly civil conversation, we learned that he was upset that we had brought children. I proceeded to show him our copy of the reservations, which of course specified the inclusion of children (I didn't dare at this point mention the special request for crib/cot, he probably would have slapped my cheek with a glove). His issue was that his copy of the reservations did not contain that information. So realizing that we were not getting anywhere debating our reservation confirmation differences, I apologized and proceeded to move on from this point, but he was unyielding. He continued to huff and puff, and said he had no room for us all. He made no effort to rectify his error, nor simply try to accommodate our needs. He begrudgingly showed us to our rooms. Of course, neither had anything suitable for children. I asked him what does he have for my children to sleep in, he handed me one grungy blanket not even suitable for a dog. I was shocked at such cold and callous behavior. The facility was dingy, dilapidated, extremely small, and had no character. The location is quite scary itself. I just cannot stress what a horrible experience this was, and such rudeness and lack of customer service was shocking and appalling. I would suspect prison inmates are treated with more courtesy and decency than this.
I hope this review is helpful, just stay away from this place!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Calais hotels