“Always enjoy my stay here”

Holiday Inn - Calais
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Calais
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have used this hotel many times over the years, and very seldom has there been a problem.
The rooms are comfortable, well laid out, although could perhaps now do with a refresh.
This was the first time that I was given a room at the back of the hotel, having always previously enjoyed the view over the port at the front.(despite emailing the hotel in advance, requesting a port facing room.) There was some noise at the back until very late, looked from the flashing lights that is was coming from a nearby nightclub.
Never had a problem parking the car out front, but decided this time to use the quite nifty underground car park (12 euros), as the car itself was pretty full, as was the free car park out front, and with the weather being atrocious.
Staff always friendly & helpful, lots of restaurants nearby, breakfast just about adequate.

Room Tip: Would always opt for a higher floor, port facing room if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for staying with us again and taking the time to write this review.
It is always pleasant to read positive comments about our staff and service.

Depending on the date of your stay, it is probable that you were given a room at the back of the hotel, because the weather was very bad at that period ?

We look forward to welcoming you again.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn - Calais

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Externally, the hotel is rather dingy, but the ambience lightens inside. Easy parking on the street outside. My room was bright and clean with interesting views towards the port - industrial but interesting all the same. Staff was helpful and friendly. The town centre was about a 15 minute walk but there were plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your comments.
I appreciate your comments regarding the exterior building.
I am pleased to inform you that the front facade is due to be renovated in the course of this month.
Hope you will come again and see the results !

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We booked a room for our family trip in December but when we received the confirmation for the booking we were informed of an additional charge for the car part. We were not happy with this as the car parking charge was not stated prior to making our booking.

So we immediately sent an e-mail requesting that they address this issue. Customer services responded politely and efficiently saying it would be forwarded to the General Manager. Then we received very patronizing e-mails from Patrice Haultcoeur, saying that the parking charges are on a sub-page of the website and he was not prepared to offer us a resolution to this issue. We politely replied back by saying we would like him to either waver the parking charge or refund our booking. At this point the manager responded with an exceptionally rude e-mail saying that this was the policy throughout Holiday Inn and some other brands.

It is not so much the point about the hidden charge but the very rude and discourteous way we have been treated by the Manager. I have never encountered someone in a customer service industry being so rude and condescending. After this we obviously will not be staying in this hotel but have as yet not received a refund.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Barney024
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

The reason of the issue is the parking charge of 12.00euros which you say Intercontinental Hotels Group has hidden on its official hotel website and that you do not want to pay for.
You have made your booking at a rate which is non refundable, as it is clearly stated in the rate description. Before confirming your booking, you need to certify that " I have read and understand the rate description and rate rules for my reservation". You have confirmed this. The rate description says: " Parking in the street free of charge. Secured spaces at 12.00eur per day. Pre booking required". In addition to that, daily secured parking fee is clearly indicated in the "parking field" on the main page of our website. How could that be more clear please ?

I do not think there is a lack of respect from my part. I have just explained you that this is the way parking fees (where payable) are presented on all IHG hotels websites, throughout the world.

Although your booking is not refundable,and to convince you that I am not as rude as you say, I have decided to refund the 72.00eur that you have prepaid !!

Regards

PH

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed there for one night, we had a family room and they put an extra bed in so we could have all five of us in one room.

The room was ideal, and the location was really nice.

Breakfast was basic, but fine all in all it was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.
I am glad you enjoyed staying with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Patrice HAULTCOEUR

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We live in Switzerland and stay here often when we travel back to the UK. Stayed twice in the last 10 days. Staff are always very friendly and helpful. Reception, bar and dining room areclean and look new. They sell good beer and have a happy hour from 5 to 7 pm.
The rooms are all comfortable but look tired now. But we always have a good night sleep. last time there we did use the €12 parking for the first time only as our car was full of stuff. Normally we park on the street and not had any problems.
Had breakfast there but not eaten dinner there.
Would not think of staying anywhere else in Claias

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to our hotel.
Thank you very much also for writting this review. No doubt other guests will appreciate as you ar a regular guest of Holiday Inn Calais.

See you again soon !
Kindest regards

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Downside first... If you are in a car, it will cost you 12 Euro for secure parking and it is worth it as the area is not exactly salubrious. The underground carpark is tight and don;t expect to get a family saloon size car in the lift. I was unfortunate enough to be booked into their Duplex Room.. Not a good idea if you need to get up for the toilet in the night as access is via a very tight spiral staircase. he bathroom is not exactly in line with what we expect today, it was tired, rusty and the shower was over the very small bath.

Now for the good.. The staff are fabulous, very helpful, terribly polite and most helpful. The bar and restaurant are well stocked and the food, even the simplest of dishes cooked to perfection. Drinks are a tad on the pricey side for a run-of-the-mill 3 Star hotel (more like 5 star prices). Only had the one night unexpected stop but wold not like to stay any longer than that

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the port as the rear of the hotel all you see is tower blocks. Avoid the d...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us.
I have noted your comments regarding our duplex room.

I am glad you liked our service and I will pass your comments on to our Staff.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I booked here for oner night as I had an early-ish ferry the next day. I certainly cannot fault the hotel or it's staff. We had a room at the front on the 4th floor and my boys loved watching the ferries coming in. As we had driven from Berlin that day we were a bit tired after 9 hours on the road to go out to eat and as the kids eat fro free here, we used the hotel restaurant. The kids were happy with the chicken nuggets and fries and my wife and I went for the Moules frites and a bottle of white Bordeaux. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but the Moules weren't great nor was the the wine. Although the 2nd glass did taste a bit better. The Crème brûlée for dessert was good.

We watched some British TV and the beds were really comfortable and we slept really well!

Breakfast the next day was a surprise as I expected the typical Continental affair! However, there was bacon, which was the best I have had at a hotel outside of the UK for many years. The sausages also good and really good scrambled egg, cooked the way it should be and not a rubbery blob!

We were so happy that we booked the hotel for our return trip and we even payed €20 less. Once again cannot fault the hotel or staff, but as we were late we ate once again in the restaurant but had the daily menu. Can't fault the Prawn Cocktail at all but the main course of lamb had a great garlic suace but the lamb wasn't good and the wine, a Gamay, was a bit mediocre. I must admit that the receptionist did recommend to us a restarurant around the corner and I should have listened!

Overall though, I will certainly book here again for the hotel and location, but next time will eat in town!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for staying twice with us !
We are very glad you will be back !

Kindest regards