“A return visit after a year”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Grand Bleu

Le Grand Bleu
Ranked #1 of 150 Restaurants in Calais
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cookham, United Kingdom
“A return visit after a year”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

and still just as good even if the menu has gone up 1 Euro. Nice snacks to go with our aperitif followed by cauliflower soup with a mustard sauce as an amuse. It was substantial amuse so, together with the starters all of which were tasty and a good portion then the main course became a struggle. Especially mine which roughly translated as "Pork head and Feet" This turned out to be a white and black sausage, a portion of "fromage de tete" as a cooked pate as well as a substantial round of head meat prepared in a timbale all with a tasty sauce. It must have taken quite some time to assemble and it was a shame not to finish it but it was just too much for me to eat. Well I did have to leave room for some tarte tatin which actually was probably the most disappointing dish I have had here. It just wasn't caramelised enough and the pastry base was not really up to standard. My companions were very happy with their cod loin and steak and pepper sauce followed by a selection of nougat desserts. The service as before was friendly, generally efficient and we certainly didn't feel rushed through our 2.5 hour Sunday lunch. Actually I've already booked to go back again in December with some other friends when we go to one of the close by Christmas markets for a weekend.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank John G

England
“Mundane food”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My wife and I chose this restaurant for an evening meal in early August 2013. The dining area was bright and modern and the staff were attentive. The restaurant was nearly full.

However, both of our chosen selections of starter, main course and dessert were not especially tasty or memorable, in fact by the evening of the next day we had forgotten what we had had to eat at this restaurant.

In reading other reviews of this restaurant it would seem that we are not the only visitors with the same sort of opinion. Maybe we (and other dissatisfied customers) visited on the chef's night off!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank 38martin42
NE England
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We ate lunch here on our recent trip to France.. We chose this restaurant because Oh ! Mouettes next was closed on Mondays.

The dining room is bright and modern, but I was disappointed by the lack of variety of fish available. I was not impressed by the standard of cooking or presentation of my main course, although the entrees were OK and my husband liked his dessert. The wine list was adequate. Altogether the food and wine provided only average value for money

Parking near the restaurant can be a problem.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank travellerNEEngland
London, United Kingdom
“Great passion, good food, great value”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

If in Calais please come here. Off the beaten track but the owners do a fantastic job making you feel welcome. Good food with imagination and excellent presentation. Worth the visit.

• Visited July 2013
London
“Very disappointing experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are regular visitors to Calais and generally are very pleased with the restaurants. Last Saturday, however, we decided to have lunch at Le Grand Bleu. It was a great disappointment. The appetiser (which was, in fact, delicious) arrived before we had hardly had time to take a sip of our aperitif. This was rapidly followed by the starters. I had chosen accras, a Caribbean fish fritter. They are usually very light and spicy but these ones were heavy in a thick tomato-based sauce. The main course of lamb was undercooked and almost cold. My partner was slightly luckier with his choice of dishes. The only redeeming feature was the deserts. When it came to settling the (handwritten) bill, I made the mistake of paying in cash for once and included a tip, expecting that the bill and the amount by which I had 'overpaid' would be returned to me. Not at all. When I asked the waitress for a copy of the bill, she said that she had thrown it away. I said that I needed it and she reappeared with it. When I said that I was surprised that she had not returned it to me with the 'overpayment' of the tip, she said that she hadn't counted the money and so hadn't realised that I had left a tip! I said that this was no way to run a restaurant. We will not be returning. There are far better places to dine in Calais.

• Visited May 2013