“Very disappointing experience”
Review of Le Grand Bleu

Le Grand Bleu
Ranked #1 of 152 Restaurants in Calais
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
London
“Very disappointing experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We are regular visitors to Calais and generally are very pleased with the restaurants. Last Saturday, however, we decided to have lunch at Le Grand Bleu. It was a great disappointment. The appetiser (which was, in fact, delicious) arrived before we had hardly had time to take a sip of our aperitif. This was rapidly followed by the starters. I had chosen accras, a Caribbean fish fritter. They are usually very light and spicy but these ones were heavy in a thick tomato-based sauce. The main course of lamb was undercooked and almost cold. My partner was slightly luckier with his choice of dishes. The only redeeming feature was the deserts. When it came to settling the (handwritten) bill, I made the mistake of paying in cash for once and included a tip, expecting that the bill and the amount by which I had 'overpaid' would be returned to me. Not at all. When I asked the waitress for a copy of the bill, she said that she had thrown it away. I said that I needed it and she reappeared with it. When I said that I was surprised that she had not returned it to me with the 'overpayment' of the tip, she said that she hadn't counted the money and so hadn't realised that I had left a tip! I said that this was no way to run a restaurant. We will not be returning. There are far better places to dine in Calais.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Jill M

Upminster, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Unbelievable restaurant. Amazing food, beautifully presented and excellent value for money. Service was great and the 'little tasters' between courses were a complete surprise and finally finished off with delicious macaroons.

Visited May 2013
Kings Langley
“Third time (very) lucky”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have visited Le Grand Bleu twice in the past and, on both occasions, have applauded the food while having reservations about the service delivery. My previous experiences suggested that Les Anglais were not made to feel terribly welcome (despite spending over 100 Euros per head on both occasions). I must say that my luncheon yesterday was quite wonderful.

Having arrived around 13.15 - and seeing the restaurant pretty full - I requested a table for one and was rewarded with the sole remaining table for four. Plenty of room to spread out ones crossword and enjoy a decent single malt.

The 39 Euro formule was extraordinary and, in the case of the entree (a Japanese inspired collation of sole fillets with soba noodles served in a dim-sum basket) almost theatrical and a must-try. Everything worked really well including a most drinkable, and reasonably priced St Veran. If memory serves I enjoyed three different amuse bouche/twixt course palette refreshers. Outstanding.

I shall certainly return. Very well done!

• Visited April 2013
Ringmer, United Kingdom
“Relaxed dining & fabulous food whereflavour is king”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is fine dining with beautifully balanced flavours & textures, but with an informal feeling to the place & service that makes the food experience even more enjoyable. We're going again, the very next time we're shopping in Calais.

Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Very, very good.”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Excellent food and service in very pleasant surroundings. There's cheaper places out there, but I think this is excellent value. I'd be more than happy to come back again.