“So friendly, so helpful, so wonderful. Quite possibly the best restaurant meal we've ever had.”
Review of Le Channel

Le Channel
Ranked #2 of 155 Restaurants in Calais
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This really was a superb and memorable experience. A surprise birthday day trip to Calais for my wife plus 2 and in the run up to Christmas was proving difficult to organise by email until a friend at work suggested Le Channel which he'd visited 10 years earlier. My email was replied to positively in less than an hour. Yes, they could provide dinner at 6pm knowing we needed to make the ferry back afterwards. Our greeting on arrival 15 minutes late was as if we were long lost family and the Maitre D' immediately commented that he knew we were in a hurry but hoped we would enjoy the meal.
Wonderful rustic bread and butter and it's a 5 course meal with a complimentary chicken galatine. We were soon onto our chosen menus. (1 @ €41, 2 @ €33 and 1@ €22 depending on our choices). The fruits de mer for starter was so huge and all the dishes were absolutely superb. My beef came topped with a small ball???? Cracked open, this was the blue cheese sauce; what spectacular presentation! As much cheese from a wide selection of local produce and then as much dessert from the impressive trolley display. I almost forgot to mention the excellent wine recommended by the Maitre D'. Even then, he suggested one of the cheaper bottles on the wine list but it really was excellent. Service is included but I just had to round up to 200 euros (was that really all it came to - excellent value). This really was the perfect end to a great day. Thank you Le Channel.

There are newer reviews for Le Channel

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Whilst staying in Calais in November, we were recommended the Le Channel Restaurant by fellow English travellers staying at our hotel. Having never visited this restaurant before, and knowing many well established restaurants in the area, I was very apprehensive as to whether we would regret trying a new venue, but no, quite the opposite. The food and presentation was flawless, and the attention to detail superb, with the attention to ourselves unforgettable. We have already made arrangements for our return.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Another family outing to Le Channel was outstanding, as always. The four course 31€ and 39€ menus are both excellent value and the Crespo family are friendly and welcoming. A firm favourite.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

This was my first visit to Le Channel, but my 3 friends have been here on at least five occasions.
They were greated like long lost relations which made me feel welcome.
The service was exemplory, courteous with a hint of a smile!!
The food !!!, I don't quite know what to say. The presentation was superb and the food was absolutely delicious. We shouldn't have, but we did have all three courses. Everything that was put on the table far exceeded my wildest dreams. The wine flowed, as it does and that choice was again wonderful.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this restaurant and it was very price conscious for what you received. Really thoroughly good value. I hope to go back next year.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We ended up here because we couldn't find anywhere else open on an early cold, wet December evenin. Our first impressions were not that positive - we weren't made to feel particularly welcome and having chosen the least expensive set menu we thought we'd be offered small portions of not particularly good food. How wrong we were. We were given a constant supply of delicious bread, an amuse bouche and 3 delicious hearty courses. One of our party opted for a slightly more expensive set menue and we had to wait for him whilst he enjoyed the most enormous plate of seafood, plus an additional course of cheeses. We would not heistate to recommend this restaurant to anyone and will certainly go back again.