“Good choice for lunch”

Ranked #7 of 155 Restaurants in Calais
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Sole Meuniere restaurant is equally two steps from the centre of north Calais and two steps from the beaches. It���s also quite handy for cars coming off the ferry from England. But with a restaurant this good, you���d go out of your way to find it and then tell the world about it. La Sole Meuniere specialises in fresh seafood and fruits de mer and rarely will you find fish so well prepared. The restaurant is charming and classic, with white walls and table linens, comfy upholstered seating, and wide windows to take in the view of the Manche. The very professional staff seem to be everywhere at once, offering the freshest oysters, fruits de mer ���according to the humour of the sea��� and beautifully grilled noble fish, as well as more complex creations and meat dishes, all artfully presented. Excellent wines, excellent local cheese buffet.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have visited here several times, most recently just before Christmas 2012. Food is consistently good and always very well presented and the staff are friendly tolerant of out pigeon French. There are a number of nice little touches like the goldfish on the tables and the wonky glasses. Seafood is excellent, although the fruits de mer has a little too many snails and whelks and not enough 'big' shellfish.

1  Thank tabrascokid
There are newer reviews for La Sole Meuniere Restaurant

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Made our mind up to come to this restaurant 2 days before arriving to Calais and was really looking forward to dine here and book a table for me, my wife and daughter for 7pm.
We arrived 15min's early not knowing that they don't open till 7pm. We were seated with a bad attitude from the waitress. Waited 15min's to get the menu's witch we didn't mind as they were not open yet. The menus all in French so we didn't know what anything was. We asked the waiter if he can explain the menu to us and I cant believe the answer. "I don't know what you like, we're a fish restaurant so eat fish" then he turned round and walked off. we were thinking if we should stay or not and he came back saying don't stay and ever come back again. I cant believe it. This place did not welcome us and left us no choice for returning. All I can say is the service is god dame rude. Food didn't have the chance to taste. But I can say La Channel restaurant next door is really good and service was great.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

A couple of days ago we had our second visit to this superb restaurant. The signature dish, I assume, is Sole Meuniere and it is just brilliant. A good sized fish, unlike the tiddlers we so ofter get in the UK, cooked perfectly and tasting delicious. My wife had Turbot which was also excellent but after tasting my sole said that is what she would order next time. We enjoyed starters of fish soup and chicken terrine all washed down with a good Tavel rose. Staff are friendly and efficient but you have to accept that it does take a little time to prepare top quality fresh food.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We were infact destined for Le Chanel next door but they were shut. So at 2pm with no reservation we snagged the last table on a very busy Tuesday. The Restaurant was very busy and the service was a bit slow but the food made up for it. We had a very agreeable lunch and I would go back. Superbly fresh seafood platter to start, very tasty lamb main course and my partner had delightful fish. The dessert table was a joy and I enjoyed my choice of 2 desserts very much!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Ee shared a seafood platter for 2 (99 euros) last weekend at this charming restaurant and it made a cold drizzly friday evening into a lovely wedding anniversary experience.

The restaurant itself is nicer looking than any pictures on here suggest, with crisp linen, comfy chairs and good space between the tables. I wanted to take some photos to show how nice it is, but my camera played up. It's not as trendy as some, but is formal-ish, clean, and (quelle surprise!) very 'French' in styling.

Mostly full of locals on the night we were there, the service was attentive, the wine waiter a gem, and the ambience just right. We tried our school-level French and were helped when needed, but the waiter spoke great English as well.

So, back to the food: the seafood platter had (each) 6 oysters, a lobster half, a dressed crab, about 15 large langoustines, a glass of prawns, masses of whelks and cockles. All served with some great garlic mayo and raspberry vinagrette and all obviously freshly prepared (we had pre-ordered by email but they still let us choose our live lobster). We finished with some great cognac and were waived off with a bottle of wine to take home!