“Not Great Service”

Hotel du Cygne Beauvais
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Beauvais
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed on two occasions, Monday night and then the following Saturday night and we had room 19 on both occasions.

The room is quite nice and clean, however the shower head was defective and had to be hand held during use. There was also some strange noise from above the room on the first night of the stay, (but not the second), it sounded like a dog tied to a long lead which was being dragged about!!

Security is quite poor, all the room keys have to be put onto a peg board which is outside of the reception room, it’s on the stairway wall and can be accessed by anyone as it’s obvious your not in your room when your key is on the board, therefore anyone can get into it.

My email confirmation from Booking.com said that reception was closed from 13:00 until 16:00 on Saturday so as we needed access to our room in the afternoon we made sure we were there before 13:00. We were actually there at 12:33 and the hotel was closed and a make shift sign had been put on the door saying reception was now closed. This put us out considerably as we had to wait for over 4 hours to be able to access our room and had to sit on a bench with our luggage, thankfully it wasn’t raining.

Booking.com weren’t very helpful either and I wasted 15 minutes on my mobile trying to get some assistance.

The young woman on reception was completely unhelpful and uncaring; she is perhaps in the wrong line of work.

Finally there is no provision for storage of luggage after you exit your room. I personally would have thought that as the only flight to the UK leaves at 22:55 this provision would be available, even for a small charge.

Finally don’t trust the local taxi drivers, we took a cab from the airport and he took 15 minutes to get us to the hotel, he took us onto an auto route and charged 11 euros. I was out running and saw the airport, I did a short detour to the airport departure lounge and my GPS had the distance as being 2.7 miles from the door of the hotel. As we had some hours to pass before we could check into our flight we walked it to the airport, it’s a very pleasant walk, down only one main road, it has very good pedestrian access and we didn’t need to take the motorway.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2013

If you fly Ryanair you know why you need to spend a night in Beauvais. If you need to spend a night in Beauvais you have a choice between a number of small, basic hotels. A short walk from the train station, Hotel du Cygne's location may give it a small boost over some of the others. There are a number of shops and restaurants within a 2 or 3 minute walk of the hotel including a McDonalds with WiFi a few doors down ( I could pick up their wifi if I sat in the little room off the hotel lobby). If you choose this hotel be aware they sometimes close reception during the day for a few hours on holidays. Although spending a few hours on a rainy afternoon drinking beer in the pub up the street waiting for them to open back up eased my annoyance a bit it was still an annoyance.

Room Tip: The hotel has very creaky floors, beds, etc.. If you don't mind the climb to the top floor the l...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Steven S
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is right in the centre of town, two blocks from the mairie. So, if you have time to visit, it is ideally located. There is also the #12 bus, from the mairie, which will get you to the airport for about 2 euros.
The room was not luxurious, but clean and reasonably comfortable. I didn't see an elevator, so check if you need one. The staff was polite and helpful. For instance, I'd booked to two, but ended up coming alone, and the receptionist charged me only for one.
Note that breakfast is an extra 9 euros. I've no idea about it, because I had to leave before it opened (and didn't pay).
Also, Beauvais pretty well shuts down, so if you've arrive late there are not too many places to eat in the neighbourhood. I had a sandwich around the corner at a very small kabob place "Efes".
My only complaint (but I think it important, and the reason for the "poor" rating for service) is that the reception closes at 11:30, and there is no longer anyone in the hotel. The place is supposedly under video surveillance, and you get a code to get back in, but a) What if the code doesn't work, b) What do you do in an emergency?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Three adults, myself, wife and brother, stayed for one night in a triple room. Good for one night but for anything longer then you would need two rooms. I guess that it is a basic hotel for what you pay. Clean room, beds and own shower and toilet. All you need for a one night stop as we were flying out the next morning. Staff very friendly and helpful and arranged for a taxi early the next morning. We did not do breakfast. Perfectly situated in a lovely city that we would like to return to. It was a short walk from the bus station. It was value. You need to be aware that there is no lift. Would stay there again for a one night stop over. The Cathedral of Saint Peter of Beauvais is a must see and has, amongst other attractions, a magnificent astronomical clock. Unfortunately we arrived only a few minutes before the lighting around it was switched off.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is an average basic budget hotel ideal for a stop over, on a shopping street in the town center so parking can be awkward, breakfast was ok cold continental, basicaly a cheap clean hotel. value for money.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just returned from Paris trip..the last night we spent in Beauvais (due to Ryannair flight from Tille airport). We liked calm Beauvais city with gorgeous cathedral (a must see) and Hotel du Cygne.. it's typical small hotel with basic amenities, and our room was cosy and very clean. I can not say any single negative word about our stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Furcyte
Reviewed May 6, 2012

It is an ordinary and forgettable place with nothing that could make it special. Very basic furnishing. Still there is a hair-drier which we were deprived of in Parisian hotel. Pros of the place: nice and efficient staff (still one must remember that the reception does not work on Wednesdays and Saturdays between 1 and 4 p.m.) and most of all cleanness in a room and a bathroom. Apart from all it is quite unusual to live so close so incredible gothic cathedral, even though you can see only its tip from the last floor. The last advantage is good wi-fi.

As the whole it gives the impression of a worn out, creaky place, but for me the bigger problem than old furnishing (ordinary, slightly old-school but it has its charm) were old wallpapers. The owner writes about “rustic decoration” – well, a bit exaggerated… Another cons is a lack of the lift. Painful, if you are supposed to carry your luggage to the third floor. Also it was a ridiculous ban on eating in the room. For sure it is not the place for a longer stay but good enough as a stop before the early flight from the nearby airport – obviously with mandatory visit to the cathedral. There is also a smaller but still good gothic church of Saint-Étienne to be seen in Beauvais.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple