“Not the best and not the worst”
Review of Hotel de Normandie

Hotel de Normandie
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Amiens
Nivelles
“Not the best and not the worst”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Indeed after reviewing all comments here, I decided to went to this hotel anyway. I had the 63 euros room. Not a five star hotel, but ok. The room was clean, even though we were able to listen to the other person from the same room that was in the toilet, everything was clean and proper. We ere also able to listen to everything, small walls (old house).
But, the hotel was very,v ery good located, I was able to put my car in their garage, that become cheaper than a parking lot. For the price that I paid, I was happy.
I took the breakfast out, not in the hotel.

Room Tip: If you decide to go to this hotel, please be aware that a 2 star hotel exists in the corner. Don'...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Don't be mislead by the photos of this hotel - in real life it looks horrific and deserve one star!We travelled for one week in France and this was by far the most horrible budget hotel I've ever seen in my life! The price of Eur 53 per night is absolutely insane for this hellhole.

In the middle of the tiny room there is a plastic box with no roof - which is basically the toilet and shower. So if you are travelling not solo you companion will have a pleasure of listerning to the sounds you body makes when you go to the box.

Another thing is the walls. I can guarantee you will not sleep very well, because the walls are like from paper, so you can hear other people peeing, farting, talking etc. On the third floor there was disgusting smell, because some of the guests was cooking something in the room. The smell was so intoxicating, that I had difficulties not to vommit.

I don't understand the comments of some ppl here like "...but at least the breakfast was nice!". I don't care much about breakfast, because on every corner in France there is boulangerie where you can buy croissants. And this hotel had exactly the same breakfast as any other budget hotel in France - bread, croissants, yohurt, butter, emmentaler cheese, honey, nutella, frozen orange juice from concentrate, coffee etc. Nothing "good" about it - it's normal!

I asked for the comfort room, but it was basically the same kind of room, slightly bigger than basic (which looked more like a prison cell) with the same "pupu-box" in the middle of the room and some decorations on the walls.

I was looking for a descent budget hotel and this was a huge disappointment. It was better to sleep in the car and save money, rather then stay in this shocking place.

Room Tip: Say away from this place
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex Z

Travelers are raving about these Amiens hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Stayed there to attend Anzac Day Ceremonies. Hotel is very basic and also very loud with walls and floors reflecting every movement in other rooms. We stayed on the 3rd floor and their was no lift so carying bags is quite a challenge

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank greggscanlan1
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Basic, although there is tv in the rooms which many other budget hotels we stayed in didn't have. Breakfast buffet is ok. Location is near main shopping streets and Cathedral. In theory there is free WiFi access although we couldn't get it to work on our laptop. We tried to get the hotel staff to help us but they had no idea what was wrong.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We made a reservation via phone. The day before our arrival the hotel called to ask if we would be having breakfast the next day. Such pro-activeness gave me hope that the level of service at the hotel would be adequate. We later called to ask directions to the hotel and were given very vague instructions: "Near the Station." Upon arrival it took 15 minutes of driving around and asking for directions to actually find the hotel a couple blocks from the train station.

The room was small but adequate and relatively clean except for the shower which had a few strands of long hair in it.

The next morning we went down for breakfast in the breakfast room. Walked past a kitchen area with two housekeepers and the manager sitting inside talking. We waited for a good 5 minutes before I walked back into the kitchen to ask "How do things work for the breakfast?" The manager then began to ask the staff if they had prepared trays for us and I returned to our table. We then waited another 10 minutes. I finally went back to the kitchen and someone explained that we were supposed to take the one remaining tray sitting at a table for four which had three people sitting at it, plus another lone tray sitting at another table. I suppose it was too much trouble to have them explain this to us the first time, much less move the trays to our table. Note: there was no language barrier as I speak fluent French.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lyonlauric
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Sometimes it is a pity that the tourist information cannot just delete hotels from their lists. We stayed 2 nights, and in hindsight we should have left after the first. The €53 rate seemed reasonable for a room with wc and shower, but when adding €7.5 pr. person for breakfast and €6 for parking it falls apart. The room was the size of a shoe box into which were crammed a short (1.9m) bed, a tiny table and chair a wc in a corner sheltered by literally a sheet of plastic and a sliding closet door (no roof so when standing up from the toilet care must be taken to 1) not poke out an eye with the tv antenna sticking into this horrid enclosure 2) Open the sliding door so you can move your arms and pull up your pants. The other corner of the room was taken up by a small shower and washbassin (take care to close the window before showering or you will not be able to leave the shower.

In addition the paper thin walls and plastic plumbing glued to the outside of the building gave the pleasure of knowing exactly what other guests were talking about and/or when they were flushing the toilet.

To add to this towels were not changed and the bed was not made. NO service or cleaning of the room what so ever. This would not even have been difficult to do as the non-existing maid could have done all this from the doorway without even entering the tiny closet.

To be avoided - this is a 1 star hotel NOT a 3-star.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robotron3000
Oxford
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Needed an inexpensive hotel close to the train station in Amiens and this Hotel fitted the bill exactly. It is a 3 minute walk from Gare de Nord Amiens just off the main pedestrian shopping area. For ANZAC Day 2008 the city of Amiens provided free buses for other attending the dawn service at the Australian War Memorial at Villers-Betonneux leaving from the same train station.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful even though they did not speak a lot in English. The hotel is a small family affair and I enjoyed my 4 nights at the hotel. They can even provide car parking at an additional charge. I would recommend it to anyone in the area looking for very reasonably priced accommodation. You can have breakfast but I never do have hotel breakfasts when travelling alone, I prefer to go out and explore the city you are in and pick up what the locals are having.

• Liked — Location to the town of Amiens and the price.
  • Disliked — Noise, could hear others in the rooms around from you.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo