“Ticked all our boxes”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We were staying in a central hotel and wanted a change from their restaurant, We found this bistro whilst walking from the cathedral at about 7pm.
Almost empty when we arrived but almost full and buzzing by 8pm.
Quick service of well cooked good food from an interesting menu.
Drinks and wine reasonably priced. We will visit again.

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I was looking forward to my second visit having enjoyed the first meal here

Also I was hungry and they we're open at 19.00 unlike most other places. A smart move since by 19.30 they already had 12 customers.

I chose their complete menu and this time sat inside which was fine - see pictures

The waiter heating my English accent asked if I wanted him to speak English. Since I live in France I declined

The meal started with a kir, to accompany my herring fillets with wa potatoes. Good.

The half bottle of red wine included is a Graves de Vayres. It is good although in reality a little down the road from the famous Bordeaux appellation

The main course of rump steak arrived cooked rare as requested. Not the best ever but good( although I also dislike lettuce on a hot plate) The wine accompanied it well.

Next the poetic "wells of love"
Apple crumble with cinnamon and Mascarpone. How can you not love it?

Finally coffee

Contrary to some other comments the service was both friendly and helpful. Possibly speaking French made a difference!

All for under 30 euros. Do these people who are complaining ever eat out?

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Those who have written about how wonderful this place is must have got it on a good day - we didn't. It is one of a chain and possibly the worst one in the chain we have visited. I would rate the one in Angouleme as the best.

It looks a little run down - especially the terrace but the interior is good enough. My starter of charentaise melon and Serrano ham was just that - not difficult to put on a plate but good enough. My wife's 'salade du boucher' came with added earwig. Admittedly the waiter whisked it away immediately, but the same salad came back after they had inspected it for further livestock. The salad itself had clearly been made up some time previously, the salad dressing had not only wilted the leaves but also dissolved the foie gras so that just a soggy remnant sat atop the soggy mess. The roast veal was OK the vacherin was equally acceptable. The service again was average. They made an adjustment on the bill for the earwig without having to query why they had charged for it.

It's just an average branch of a bistro chain - no more, no less.

1  Thank HighgateExigeant
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The best meal in France so far. Service excellent and all smiles. Save room for dessert all, caramel apple parfait with cinnamon Marscapone will make you cry it is so good!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stopped in while visiting the cathedral that is very nearby. The location was convenient, but nothing else about this restaurant was good. The food was decent, but nothing special. The service was horrible. We had two tables of four which was apparently overwhelming for the staff. They mixed up several orders which delayed us in our departure rather significantly. Rather than apologize, they actually blamed us for having too many people. Totally rude.

1  Thank Scott C