“Good French Grub!”

Du Temps de Maman
Ranked #38 of 344 Restaurants in Amiens
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located between the Cathedral and floating gardens in the heart of Saint-Leu, "Chez Maman" is a traditional restaurant where everything is homemade. This cozy place you into a cozy and familiar, like home! Here you will enjoy with good food made ​​from fresh produce. The experienced chef cooking of vegetables hortillons. The restaurant also serves as a flea market. Indeed, all the component objects are for sale for those wishing to replicate at home this universe so authentic! You can also enjoy a terrace along the cobbled street and another facing south, on the first floor.
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

This place was lovely. The meals were fresh and served with a massive smile from a non English speaking waiter. Not with standing the language barrier, the waiter was patient and tried with us to help through the order. He was assisted by another who spoke English. The menu was limited, but that was our preference as it meant that they did the meals well. Definately better than many other places in Amiens.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

good wholesome food with wicked desserts. english spoken but french atmosphere. Small compact restuarant.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We chose this restaurant as it looked appealing...however looks can deceive. To context our situation we are 2 approx 50 yr old couples, enjoy our food, who do rustic or fine dining. A nice window table was provided.My friend & I chose the 'gisier' starter. It was a generous plate of chicken pickled gizards awash on a bed of limp lettuce leaves with 1 quarter of a tomato. This was a crude attempt at serving offal. The waiter's attempt to explain the dish as chicken salad on reflection seems nothing more than embellished sales pitch.
Unfortunately worse was to follow with our mains- we all chose the rump steak. I can now see why the confident waiter had no need to make a written note of how our steaks were to be cooked. The 6cm thick steak was returned for our wives as it was rare, not their requested medium. I also asked them to cut it in half, to give a chance to eat it. I laboured with mine and in spite of their attempt, both our wives could not 'wrestle' with such tough meat. Accompanying the steak was the ubiquitous limp lettuce and literally 1 quarter piece of tomato, this in addition to a generous portion of Frites, cooked like crisps. In fact some had literally been plated up on a second round of cooking (hard & brown). A clear lack of attention to detail by a chef. Reverting to the meat, we suspect this restaurant had served us horse meat. Much of the meals were left and needless to say we left without desert after asking to convert our meal from the planned 3 to 2 course. From the volume of food left it must have been obvious something was wrong, though it does not surprise me one bit that the waiter avoided what would have been a discussion of our immense dissatisfaction. We paid our approx. 100 euros, leaving without delay. As it was my restaurant choice, my wife gave me hell all night. I and my friends were staggered why we did not challenge this at the time, I think we were in shock! At the risk of being to personal in my review I suspect if we had seen a line up of the catering staff we would not have sat down in the place.
Learn from our mistake, avoid Chez Maman at any cost. The only positive I can get is that of a holiday talking point!

3  Thank Carol58
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a restaurant in Amiens that featured local ingredients and was not a tourist trap. We checked out a number of menus and chose Chez Maman. It was just across the canal from the strip of restaurants on Rue Belu. The owner uses fresh produce from the Horillonnages (the canal gardens). Try the local speciality ficelle picarde - a crepe filled with mushrooms and ham and smothered in cream & cheese. It was a large size appetizer that we were happy to share. We had the pork and fish for our mains and they were good. The wine list was fine and good value.

1  Thank YOW123
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Our dinner was lovely, the staff friendly and attentive. They explained all the dishes to us as we do not speak French. The food tasted so fresh and perfectly prepared. The standout dishes were the Haddock Tartare entree and the Tarte Tartin dessert, but our main courses were fantastic as well. The menu was for the one day only, so it's great to know the food has such a seasonal focus. Highlyrecommended.