“Great tour”

Terres de Memoire Somme Battlefield Tours
Ranked #2 of 43 things to do in Amiens
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a French company organising Battlefield Tours of the Western Front. Our groups are kept to small size. One day, two day, three day and private tours are available, leaving from Amiens Station. Booking is essential.Please visit our website for more information!
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked a 2 day tour and reall enjoyed it, unfortunately the weather for the 2nd day prevented us doing the tour but will go back and complete th 2nd day in a few weeks. Sylvester was our guide and I enjoyed his commentary and wit throughout the day. We visited many good sights, that well suited our group that was made up of Australians. The places were very significant and it was good to pay our respects and see the areas of great Australian sacrifice. My 13 year old son really enjoyed it and took away some lasting impressions. I would recommend it

5  Thank LeGOAT

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We did the one day tour and it is one of the highlights of our trip to France. From the time Sylvester met us at the station in Amiens and dropped us off again in the afternoon, we were not disappointed. Sylvester has an amazing knowlege of WW1 and made our day fun, interesting and respectful at the same time. My Great Uncle was killed on the Somme and is listed on the memorial at Villers-Bretonneux, Sylvester had also researched his army history to help us locate his name. I highly recommend them if you are considering a tour, I don't think we would have seen, learnt or discovered as much if we had done a drive yourself.

5  Thank louisen31
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My partner and I went on the One Day Somme tour visting Villers-Bretonnex and it was a truly moving experience. Both of our grandfathers were stationed in this area so to see these places really took our breath away .
The whole tour is well organised. We had to get ourselves to Albert on a train from Paris which added to the day
Our guide Slyvester was excellent. He really knows the history and the significance of this area to Australians. He had even researched my grandfather and not only took us to the Dernancourt battle field where my grandfather fought but had a copy of the battle plan to give to me. This mean't so much because my grandfather was awarded the DCM for this actions during this battle .
All the other sites we were taken to were well worth seeing and the time we spent in Villers-Bretonnex and seeing the gratiude and thanks still shown to Australia is amazing
We can highly recommend this company to take you on a tour of this place in history

7  Thank Davidb0962_12
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our one-day tour of the Somme with Terres de Memoire was an unforgetable and extremely moving experience. The tour was the perfect size of eight people and our wonderful guide Lea was very knowledgable and told us many fascinating and personal stories of the soldiers who endured the horror of the Somme. We never could have seen so much on our own and we were especially honoured to visit the Victoria School and the Franco-Australian Museum in Villers-Bretonneux. Highly recommended.

3  Thank pandapower
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I recently did the two day battlefield tour whilst on our honeymoon. It was a deeply moving and enlightening experience. Besides seeing the memorials, cemeteries and battlefields what really made this tour exceptional was the staff. We were lucky enough to have Lea on our first day and Sylvester on the second, their knowledge and local perspective added a whole new dimension to not only my knowledge of World War I, but the region in general and even current issues.

They also personalized the tour for us, driving 90 kilometers out of their way so I could see the site my great-grandfather won his military medal and also found additional information on another family member who had served that I had previously missed. They also took us briefly into Belgium so we could see how easy it was to cross borders and for my wife to buy some chocolates.

When they picked us up on the second day they also informed us that their were train interruptions due to strikes and had looked up all the affected services so that we could make it back to Paris without any hassles.

To sum up it was a truly memorable experience made all the better by the excellent service provided by Estelle, Lea and Sylvester and we have already recommended it to family and friends and now to anyone who reads this review.

4  Thank Brendan R