“inconsistent but one of 2 restaurants with Lamb 'pre sale'”

Restaurant Le Relais du Roy
Reserve with
Restaurant Le Relais du Roy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
France
“inconsistent but one of 2 restaurants with Lamb 'pre sale'”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Came here on a recommendation on the hotel we were staying at not far away.
We chose the 'Menu decouverte' as we both wanted to try the lamb 'pre sale' as you do at Mont Saint Michel. Cost was 38.50 Euros which was an extra 10 euros than the main meal itself (the meal meant 5 courses - total a la carte would have been over 70 euros). The entree I chose was the seafood plate (which was more like a platter for 1!! that itself was filling! a whole crab, 2 oysters, 2 langoustines, normal and 'gris' prawns, and some shells as well). my partner chose the 'fois gras flan' which was good too - but was eaten in 5 minutes as compared to my 20 minutes....!
The lamb was served with a beautiful not overpowering honey and ginger sauce. there were a few little accompaniments on the plate but although my partner and I both had the same plate we both had different things that were hot or cold... The lamb itself was nice, but a bit fatty (happy we got the meal and more food otherwise we would have been even more disappointed if we had to pay 27 euros for that plate!)
The cheese board was amazing! I love my cheeses and I wasn't disappointed at all in my choices there!!
Dessert menu had a good variety however we were not too impressed by the actual food itself unfortunately.
There were 2 waiters for the restaurant which could have sufficed (we arrived as a big Chinese tour group were finishing and before others were arriving), however we felt the young waitresses wasn't pulling her slack and the waiter had more work than necessary therefore meaning service wasn't as great as it could have been, but our waiter was great in every aspect otherwise!
It was a descent meal, but could have been a lot better...

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank clairev_1

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
“Eat on the island, not here”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I arrived at Mont St. Michel in the early evening and decided to eat at this restaurant - based on the rave reviews in the hotel section of Tripadvisor - before catching the shuttle for our overnight stay on the island. Such a mistake! First, the atmosphere is extremely dated. It reminded us of a Catskills resort in the 1950's. The restaurant had quite a few quests, including a tour group, which frankly should have been a tip off. Our next tip off should have been the speed of the service. Mind you, I'm American. I like getting my meal quickly, but this is France, and when a meal is served within 10 minutes of ordering, be wary! While the server was efficient, we felt like we were on a conveyor belt. Finally, the food was mediocre. My husband ordered the puffy omelet with asparagus, but it was far too salty for him to finish. I ordered the region's specialty - pre sale lamb. The medallions were fatty, and the portion was quite small. The vegetables were alright, but when I asked the server to identify the orange foamed one, he couldn't.

In reading the reviews of island restaurants on Tripadvisor, it appears no visitors have been overly impressed. However, there's something to be said for ambience. As we looked in the windows of the restaurants along the cobblestone street after having our meal at Relais, we wished we'd have gone with "ambience."

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Shellie B
Dublin, Ireland
“Bad Fruit de mer, excellent friendly service”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Restaurant is situated on an hotel with the same name that has excellent views to St Michel Mountain. The service of the waiters was excellent but the food was nothing special. The Fruit the mer was overcooked and was not tasty at all. The Menu is a better deal and price is not good for what you get. Nothing special although waiter was very friendly.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank catalinabi
Mermaid Beach, Australia
“Overpriced but overall all, OK”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the hotel and ate in as it was convenient. We were given a complimentary drink, a small glass of flavoured cider, I think. It was a nice way to start, but it's where it seemed to fall apart a bit. There were two gentleman doing all the waiting and although they seemed to be working hard, just seemed to take so long to do things. As had happened in a few French restaurants, they sit you down and leave to you to contemplate for quite some before they come back.

The menu was extensive and they offered a range of set menus at varying prices starting at 14€. It's basic, but OK. We had eaten during the day and were limited for time as we still wanted to go out to the Mont and chose the simple 19€ menu. The food was wholesome, but again, nothing special. It took a long time to get the fist course, but after that, it came out promptly. Desert was delicious.

If we had the time, we would try somewhere else, but otherwise, the restaurant still fills a niche and it's handy to eat in.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank YakkaNobby
Calgary, Canada
“A truly wonderful surprise of a restaurant”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We ate at this restaurant mostly because it was convenient, being situated in our hotel. We were truly delighted with how wonderful everything was!! The staff was unusually warm and friendly (for France especially), and the ambience of the dining room was very cozy -- especially by the fireplace. Our meal was one of the best we had in a 3 week trip, everything being simply delicious. I'd certainly recommend the seafood, which in this region is fresh. But you're also in Normandy, so try their local lamb (said to be saltier than normal because the grass they eat grows in salty marshes and tender enough to cut with a fork). Also, Normandy is proud of it's cheeses so if you can find the room, sample it when they bring it by. Breakfast the following morning was also of high quality. Very highly recommended.

Visited July 2013