“Convenient, Comfortable, Suprisingly Spacious”
Review of Le Relais du Roy

Le Relais du Roy
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We took the advice from most and spent a night outside the Mont and not within. Good advice, given that most of the hotels on the Mont was quite ridiculously priced. This property is among the nearest to the Mont on the causeway if it matters to anyone, and apparently every room has a balcony view of the Mont. Ours did, but I did have to crane my neck out to look at it. It's not like I could set up a tripod on the balcony... However this didn't matter because the property is 50 metres to the free shuttle that will take you to the base of the Mont every 10-15 minutes. I was expecting the room to be tiny but surprisingly, to their credit it was not. There was a good size for my 3 year old to jump around. Supermarket and café right across the street, restaurants are abundant on the causeway. Only reminder I would give is to make sure you call the hotel before arriving to obtain the passcode, which you will need to present to traffic control on the perimeter of the immediate MSM area, before you can enter the area to park on hotel premises. It's Eur 4 for this access which is anyway totally worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LambShanks

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is not on the island, but very close to the beginning of the causeway and affords beautiful views, particularly at night from the viewing/photography platform behind the hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful, rooms quiet and spacious (even had a separate toilet which was a surprise). You can’t drive in without the keycode for boom gates, so need to park outside and walk a few minutes into the hotel to check in and get the code.
Our favourite part of the hotel was the food. We took the half board option for €161 (which covered 4 course dinner, breakfast and room for 2 people). The dinner was the best we’d had in France, absolutely delicious, had such an enjoyable time there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TMBHL_on_the_go
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with friends and paid for half board, so dinner and breakfast where included. What a great decision, the four course meal was amazing and breakfast was very satisfying. The room was spacious and comfortable with river views.
We where a short walk tithe bus stop to get to the base of Mont saint Michel (but it is also only a short walk). Another close feature is the weir just behind it that is great for getting Photos of the Abbey. Great night spent hear.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank PIKMH
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel forget got to send the promised security code the day before.
I emailed and got no reply.
I rang and had to wait 10 minutes while the reception found the code and believe I had a booking.
We were sent round and round the outside car parks 4 times by an old french gentleman who must have been told not to let anyone go through the barrier to the hotels.
Eventually we got the code and made a dash for the barrier guarding the hotels. Punched the code in and we were through.
At the hotel, the receptionist looked at us when we told her our story. Shrugged her shoulders and pouted her lower lip as if, what do you expect me to do.
It really spoilt the beginning of the experience. We laugh now about the old boy who would not let us get to the hotel.
PLEASE GET THE CODE BEFORE YOU ARRIVE or just make a dash through the barrier.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Heather B
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel is outside the wall but I think the location is perfect if you want to photography Mont St Michel from a distance. The room was nice. Good size. Two sinks in bathroom. The floor was a bit squeaky. Wifi in room. I had to arrive at Mont St Michel one day later than I had originally planned. I phoned the hotel on that afternoon I was due to arrive and the lady was very understandable. So I just switched my arrival date to one day later. But when I arrived at the hotel late at night, the two guys working there were in such a hurry. I was only handed my room key. No telling me where my room is. Didn't have a chance to ask about wifi, breakfast, or checkout time. I think customer service needs some improvement.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2013

What can we say that has not been said already??
We loved the staff especially as we had a 9 months old with us at the time. The staff was very helping. Unless you stay in the Mont, you cannot stay closer to it: 3 minutes away with the shuttle that is on the hotel's doorstep! The restaurant is also a must. We went for lunch before driving off and we were pleasantly surprised (the "house cider" produced locally at a farm is EXCELLENT).
Only negative for us: it needed a little refresh but I now read that this happened since our visit so it should be 5/5 by now.

Room Tip: A few rooms have a view to the Mont, request it when you book.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fabrice P
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I took my mom (68 years old) to MSM from Paris. Our bus from Rennes arrived only a few steps away so it was really convenient. We elected to eat dinner at its restaurant and the experience was good! Even though there were a tour group of Japanese (about 30-40) but they were really quiet and orderly. Because of the large group I was prepared for slow service but it was actually not the case at all!

My mom and I thoroughly enjoyed the embiance of the beautiful dining hall as well as the food and service. Furthermore, our room (105) has a tiny balcony where you can stick out your head and see the gorgeous MSM! It is small, of course, but I like the sight of it.

Speaking of convenience, the supermarket is just across street and the free shuttle to MSM is only steps away. I bought a bottle of the famous cidre at the display stands right next to the hotel; later I found out the prices at the supermarket were a lot lower. Though I liked the supermarket in general I did feel that I was ripped off big time by buying a 4GB memory card from it (about 19 euros), even the souvernir store in the abbey was much cheaper (10 euros for 4GB).

It is very chilly in the evening there so make sure you bring eough warm clothes with you!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family