“La Vieille Auberge - no frills but meet our needs”
Review of La Vieille Auberge

and 1 more site!
La Vieille Auberge
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“La Vieille Auberge - no frills but meet our needs”
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Stayed one evening at La Vieille Auberge (Wed 8/26) and had pre-reserved a room using their website. The website won't actually let you book the room, you have to use email, but we had no issues. The emails were very detailed back and forth.

We arrived right at check in time (1pm) and the host walked us to our room. We did have to climb about 10 steps and the room was nessled away in an old building. Very 'primative', but we really liked where it was located (beside the church (not the abbey) and a cemetary).

The room itself was very basic. Wall paper on the walls and a very small bathroom. I'm a fairly thin female and the shower was a tight squeeze - so beware. No toiletries provided other than a bar of soap.

Bed was pretty comfortable, not the best, but okay for just one night. Bedroom door had a very solid lock which made us feel very safe.

Window opened and a nice cool breeze came directly in. Our room overlooked the main street. It was room 207. We did have ear plugs and they were needed since it was noisy a night (with folks speaking) and in the morning when the restauarant staff getting ready for the day.

Our goal really, was to have a safe / comfortable place to sleep for one night while we were at Mont St Michele and for 85 Euro a night, this is what you get. It was just fine for us and meet our needs.

We did not eat at the restuarant that they also own.

Strees in Mont St Michele are VERY crowded and I personally would recommond staying overnight so you can walk around a night after everyone has left the island.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenn123444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Denver
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We were there on May 31. This hotel was ok even though the bathroom was so outdated and so small that it barely fits one person. But overall we didn't have a problem for a one night stay. After I reading lots of feedback on Mont st michele I was really expecting to see and feel serenity after all the tourists are gone at night. But this island became so commercalized we saw people until late night. Early morning was a true gem in here, with absolutely empty streets (except cleaning crew)like the whole island is asleep.
People started filling up the main street around 9. We truly enjoyed staying on the island and exploring at night. I'd like to visit again someday when tide comes in. I'm sure that is something worthy to watch.
And I Iike to say one thing, all the feedback I've read about how hard a climb it is to the hotel from the parking lot about lots of walking, steep, be prepared, etc we made sure we were prepared for a tough climb. Somehow It scared me greatly. But It turned out to be a complete joke. I was ready to go on long climb but our hotel was already in front of us after few minutes of simple walking. The whole island is walking distance. We climbed the entire island from top to bottom so many times in one afternoon.
So for those who complain about walking here, you must be so out of shape. I'd love to see Mont st michele again someday.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank aprilpyo
world
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Parking is quite a hike from the island, but I enjoyed the walk and the view of Mont St. Michel. I think the layout of this hotel is most interesting. The rooms are spread out all over the island. You will definitely get a work out going up the medieval Stairmaster to your room. So, pack light. Don’t take heavy suitcases. I totally enjoyed running all over the island to see where the stairs lead me. It’s a great place to explore when the majority of the day tourists leave. During the day, the place can be quite chaotic. The view from my room was spectacular. I could see high tide come into the bay and rush around the island. It was amazing. A stroll on the causeway after dark allows you to see the awesomeness of Mont St Michel. The views are simply breathtaking.

The room was modestly furnished. The wooden beams were a nice touch. I didn’t feel as though my room was very comfortable or a place to relax. It was okay. Although the bathroom looked recently renovated, it was very tiny by European standards. The shower was incredibly small and easy to flood. I spent so much time gathering towels to soak up all of the water. I’m not a big person, but there wasn’t any room to turn around in the shower without bumping into a wall or stepping out of the shower completely. A major issue is that my room lacked air conditioning and was extra small. However, I kept an open mind. The weather was cool during the night so I slept with the windows open and spent my time being adventurous. My friends stayed in a room in another building. Their room was slightly larger with a balcony, but they had bed bugs. I didn’t see any bed bugs in my room, but I was paranoid after that.

The experience was amazing. I think it is a decent place to stay when I consider the memories I gained. I’ll always remember my time there. I recommend this hotel if it is your first time staying on Mont St. Michel. Other than that, I’ll save it as a day trip. The hotel is a good value, but I need more in a hotel.

• Liked — Location and views
  • Disliked — Room size and no air conditioning
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank chintsuu

Travelers are raving about these Mont-Saint-Michel hotels

Midwest
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Check in at the restaurant La Vielle Auberge on La Grande Rue, and an employee will take you to your room, because the rooms are spread out in various locations over the island. We reserved a room with a panoramic sea view. To find it, we followed our guide a little further up the ancient cobbled street, then plunged through a narrow dark tunnel at the side of the eglise St.-Pierre. We came out in a narrow paved walkway between the back of the buildings on La Grande Rue and a high stone wall. There was a cemetery on the other side of the wall. This route took us around three sides of it, with stairs to climb at each corner. On the third side we left the cemetery and climbed another flight of steps between a stone wall and a stone building. On the stair landing, our guide unlocked a stout wooden door and we entered a hallway. The stone wall was on our right, and our room was down a few steps on the left. It seemed to be a modern hotel room built into an older stone building. The room had a patio door which led to a nice balcony with a sea view, as promised, although we had to look over a few roofs. The room was very warm when we entered, but the air conditioning was efficient. The room was small but adequate, the bed was large, and the bathroom was modern and roomy.

After unpacking we continued up the rest of the stairs to find we were near the entrance to the abbey. We had a marvelous time taking tours and exploring the island, which is very crowded and touristy during the day, very peaceful in the evening, and down right spooky after dark.

We tried the restaurant La Vielle Auberge that evening. The waitstaff were very pleasant and accommodating, when we wanted to share the dessert, for example. The food was good, in general, but we were a little disappointed with the Marie Poullard Omelet, which is much like a soufle, but very bland.

As recommended, we repacked before arriving at Mont St-Michel so we would have only one suitcase. Because of the very crowded street and numerous stairs, it was very good advice. Our one disappointment (although we had checked the tide schedule in advance and were aware of this situtation) was that the sea did not reach the Mont at the time of the month we visited, but was surrounded by gray slimy mud flats. If I were to go again, I would definitely plan my trip to arrive there when the tides rush in "at the speed of galloping horses."

• Liked — We liked the hidden location two-thirds of the way up the mont.
  • Disliked — The room was very plain.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Irish-Adventuress
Croatia
Reviewed April 29, 2008

My girlfriend and I spent one night at this hotel and it was nice. Actually, the rooms are spearated from the main building/restaurant and your host will take you up on the hill into your room. We had panoramic view room. Normally it's a two star room, but we had nice balcony and new toilet, so it was all we could ask on this very beautifull place. You are in the middle of the old city, up on the hill and you don't need Hilton hotel here. It's a very nice place for couples. We ordered breakfast in room, it was very nice and we had it in the bed with the open balcony door and nice view.

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank eislamov
New Jersey
Reviewed February 11, 2008

This B&B is located on the island of Mt. St. Michel – the best way to see the island is to stay on the island. We stayed there the first weekend in September 2007. We checked in at the restaurant “La Vieille Auberge”, and they walked with us to our room. Their English was sufficient to check in, etc.

Our room was in a separate building, uphill from the restaurant, but totally modern in all aspects, including a double-glazed window. We had a tiny monastic room with tiny single (smaller than twin) beds, private bathroom with shower, and a partial view of the bay over the buildings across the path.

It is a long walk from the parking lot, strictly uphill once you get inside the city walls, so take up only what you need or you may need to make multiple trips. Breakfast was extra and they suggested we purchase it when we first checked in. We found out later you could get the same breakfast at other restaurants just a few yards away for 3 Euros less. Commercial WiFi was available at some times of day.

If you stay at Mt. St. Michel during the full or new moon, make sure you move your car from the parking lot to the causeway, since the parking lots WILL flood on the high tide. Hotel keepers have “keys” to allow your car into the causeway parking area at such times. We were there in the middle of the lunar cycle, so the parking lots did not flood while we were there.

Mt. St. Michel is very quiet in the early morning and after the tourists leave in the late afternoon. Make use of that time to explore the island. And by all means walk around the island on the mud flats at low tide. Only make sure you know when the tide will be coming back in!

• Liked — The in-island location
  • Disliked — Very tiny room and bath
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JerseyHiker
Southern California
Reviewed June 2, 2007

If you are going to make the effort to see Mont Saint Michel, you really should stay overnight on the island. It's a very different place after the day-trippers leave.

If following a narrow pedestrian street through a stone arc to get to your room doesn't appeal to you, don't bother. But if the idea of a clean reasonable roomy --for a French two star hotel--room in a unique spot below the cemetery on Mont Saint Michel appeals to you, you'll like the annex of this hotel as much as we did. We don't travel to hang out in hotels. We travel to get out in the area and explore.

Beds were fine. Shower was terrific. We had a double and two singles for three people for $91 Euros. Great price.

The only hassle is the hotel's admonition that they will give your reservation away if you arrive after 5pm. We were very nervous about that, as we arrived about 20 minutes later than we'd hoped. We hadn't realized that you had to hike up from the parking area about 15 minutes just to get into the walled village.

• Liked — It's within the city walls, on the island. Convenient and clean.
  • Disliked — The 5pm checkin cut off.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family