“Charming, delightful and full of ambience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Mere Poulard

La Mere Poulard
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
El Dorado Hills, California
“Charming, delightful and full of ambience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

WE LOVED this hotel and medieval village!The hotel is right at the entrance to the village and was quite charming. The check in was so easy, we simply showed up and they gave us a key! The famous restaurant was pricey but well worth it, and you can watch the chefs cooking in the kitchen. The omelette was unlike any I've ever had, and the whole dinner was a culinary experience! The room was simple, but perfect, with views of the bay and majestic Abbey. The walls are covered with 100's of pictures of famous people who have visited the hotel over the last 100 years. The staff was very friendly and the setting of this hotel is unbelievable! A MUST SEE for all visitors to France!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank darlinglisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
East Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

I suppose our expectations should have been lower, but I really didn't expect the actual offer from La Mere Poulard to be so poor, given that I'd booked two rooms at 210 and 160 euros each respectively. On arrival, we were advised that we had been "upgraded" to 260 and 210 euro rooms "foc". Well, if these were the best rooms, I shudder at what the lower priced ones were like. To be brief, common area carpets were filthy and worn out; we were located in the annexe, although we'd booked a room in the main building; the entrance door to the annexe was not working, so it was open to all (and located on a very busy tourist passage); our room was on the ground floor with two very large floor to ceiling windows - we couldn't leave them open for security reasons, nor as a result of everyone congregating in the vicinity to smoke.... room was riddled with flies - I killed about 20 within the first minute; and the toilet - well, what can I say!! It wasn't attached to the floor, but worst still, the pedestal had a massive all-round crack which resulted in our not being able to use it due to the serious risk it presented if it had smashed. Hotel reception just shrugged and said they'd report the problem to their technician - not bothered at all that we didn't have a working toilet in our room. Bar closed at 11pm - pianist never materialised, despite it being a Saturday night in high season. All in all one of the worst experiences we've ever had - couldn't wait to get off Le Mont and head as far away as possible. It was a major rip off and I've never encountered such blatant commercialism and tourist entrapment outside of Disneyland. I won't be back. Oh, forgot to mention - at checkout I was advised that I hadn't paid for the two rooms, despite my booking.com confirmation stating most clearly, in black and white, that payment had been taken on the day of reservation and was non-refundable. I had to pay for both rooms again - following a most unsatisfactory conversation with "Kim" at booking.com who was extremely patronising (I had to explain to her that English was in fact my first language and I had no problem in understanding what my booking confirmation stated). I haven't received my credit card bill yet, but bets are on that I will have been double charged - and how long is it going to take me to recover the money????? Never again - neither booking.com nor La Mere Poulard - very nasty experience all round - BEWARE!!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother staying on Le Mont - not worth it
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank deeintheculdesac

Travelers are raving about these Mont-Saint-Michel hotels

texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in June of 2011 and really enjoyed it. Our room was small but was fine for the two of us. It was very clean with a small, but nice bath. We came by car and parked close in where parking is reserved for hotel guests. The guard will give you a code to go through the gate. I think parking was €6.00 but I am not positive about that because my husband paid. I think it is close though. Because it is a hike, pack a carryon bag with a change of clothes and toiletries so you don' have to drag your bag his the mountain. This hotel is the first one inside the gate and does not have a lift/elevator. The staff speaks good English which is greatly appreciated , but not expected. They are famous for their omlettes and you can watch them make them in the afternoon. They run from $25.00 to $45.00 depending on what you get. We didn't try one because they seem to be a dinner item and I thought pricey. Also, you may want to share because they are huge. The town is very nice and crowded during the day due to busses of tourists. See the abbey and church it is worth it. Many people were out on the sand when the tide was out . Be careful, It can be like quicksand in some places and when the tide comes in, it comes in faster than you can run. The weather was cold to this Texan. About 50 to 60 degrees and a cold wind. Take a rain jacket and umbrella. One more thing, We made the mistake of eating breakfast at the hotel restaurant. It was $60.00 for the two of us to have an expanded continental breakfast. We are early risers and were leaving the next day and nothing was open on the mountain. We should have driven a bit and found a better deal. For that price I expect much better. Enjoy!

1 Thank texasqueen_9
Sao Paulo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Ok, the Mont Saint Michel is awesome. Ok there are very few hotels inside. Ok is´s a very expensive place because both previous conditions. But, you can offer much more, certaintly. The staff is not helpful and the famous omelete is nothing special (only good, far from gourmet - I ate betters at home). And it´s not cheap (I paid 270 USD for two omelets with 300g lobster plus 80 USD for a common wine bottle). The room, with a nice size, are old and poorly equiped. Well, my impression was the hotel reflects the caricature of that superb and listless french, and was the only place I found it in all France. If you stay here, forget the room, the bugs inside the hotel at night, the poor breakfast (yes, if necessary it´s possible), and enjoy the unique and fantastic place that´s Mont Saint Michel.

Room Tip: Only if it´s necessary to be inside Mont St Michel
2 Thank DeCastroSaoPaulo
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

My wife and I had reserved a room for two in advance of our automobile trip through Brittany. This stay at La Mere Poulard on "the rock" of Le Mont St. Michel was the most stunning experience of any of our vacations. The hotel itself was "cozy" and the first floor room was ok but the location and views were spectacular. Climbing the stairs to the top of the Cathedral was exhausting and exhilarating. Words cannot adequately describe the views of the tides and ancient village. The tides come in for miles at a galloping speed and turn the area into an island. Although the area is quite touristy, the month of November was probably the best month to see this amazing place - fewer people and cooler. A huge plus was the restaurant at La Mere Poulard - both for dinner and breakfast. Incredibly great tasting food and service.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing away from the carpark.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amortizor73
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

I had a single room in the annex of the hotel as part of a tour group spending a night on the Mount. What a great experience! The room had a double bed, was amazingly spacious and in good repair but with a very modern and clean bathroom. Yes, there are lots of stairs...but one ought not come to Mount St Michel expecting level accommodations! The grounds were beautiful and I was very pleased with our location. My sleep was disturbed once by the feral cats outside my window...they were murdering or mating, never did decide which it was. It was great to have the place to ourselves in the evening and early morning.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in this hotel mainly for the location. It is the first hotel as you enter the Mont so you do not have to drag your luggage too far. We also wanted to be able to explore the island before and after the crowds- and the crowds do come! (We were happy to be departing as they descended on the island.) It is fun to be able to be right there, and for that reason the hotel was perfect.
But, be forewarned, you will have to climb lots of narrow, winding, steep steps to get to the rooms - at least 3 floors worth! Rooms are very small and very shabby. Bathroom was interesting...hand held shower head, but no place for it to hang up high. Price was very high for the quality of accommodations, but unfortunately everything from hotels to restaurants are very overpriced here - so it you want to go to the Mont, you will pay for that privilege. We did not eat the breakfast at the hotel. It was an extra charge and very pricey. They did have free wi-fi at the hotel.
Overall, if you can handle one night in a basic accommodation, this hotel will do since the location is great.