“No better location and accommodation”

Le Relais Saint-Michel
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Reviewed June 17, 2013

On location room quality alone this is the only hotel to be in Mont St Michel unless you want to in the mont itself with thousands of visitors

Beautiful direct views from rooms and dining room half a mile away with lots of shuttles and great walks

Service has been excellent although they need larger pillows and a booster on their wi fi service

Room Tip: Seems like all rooms well situated with views
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 999PeterA

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We recently stayed here and were extremely happy with our rooms. They were spacious, clean and had a gorgeous view. The hotel is conveniently located near the shuttle bus stop to the Mont. We arrived early on the day of our check in and stored our luggage (as planned). When we returned from our tour of the Abey, we relaxed and enjoyed a glass of wine on the patio. The wine was delicious and our bartender could not have been nicer. The next day we awoke to pouring rain. Ordinarily, that would spell disaster on vacation, but because of the beautiful view through our sliding glass doors, we were able to wait out the storm by reading and enjoying the scenery. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank mamesteve
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The receptionist was so kind and spoke English very well. The room is spacious with a sitting area and a walk out terrace/patio with a perfect view of the Mont Saint Michel Abbey. You can't get any closer than this hotel. Dinner was delicious. With lots of seafood choices. the wait staff was attentive, but invisable. The only negative was that they were out of Jack Daniels, so I had to have Chivas! It is hard to close the curtains on this night view.

Room Tip: The ground floors have walk out patios to a green space.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tripanticipation3359
Reviewed January 12, 2013

from this hotel one has a great view of Mt St Michel. the rooms are spacious, the bathroom well appointed. . the restaurant caters to tours and the food reflects it. the staff was very kind and helpful. we were there during the quiet season (march). beware than heavy construction is going on in Mt st michel as they are replacing the current highway open to all by a bridge with restricted traffic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lauremm m
Reviewed December 25, 2012

After seeing others complain about this hotel, I had to write as well. I had booked a room a couple months earlier than our planned stay in July. As I did for all other hotels, I sent an email to confirm my reservation and had received a personal email back so I left home knowing that I would have a place to stay that night. When I arrived at the gate I didn’t have an access code and didn’t understand how to contact anyone so I walked all the way down to the hotel in the rain. When I arrived at the hotel, the desk clerk greeted the person in front of me just checking in and gave him the keys to his room. When I told the clerk my name she asked if I had not received the email they had sent that they were not able to honor my reservation because of a “computer problem.” Well I had been traveling in France and without access to email. I told her I had the confirming email but again she said that they had computer problems and my reservation was no longer there and they booked the room. I didn’t believe this and asked to see the manager. I asked why they chose my reservation to cancel and why not the French gentlemen that had just checked in. Of course she did not have an answer. I waited for at least 20 minutes and asked about the whereabouts of the manager. She said he was offsite at another facility and would return soon. However all the while waiting for the manager, I saw a man in a suit moving around the lobby area and back into the dining area and front desk. I finally asked him if he was the manager and he said he was. So the clerk outright lied to me as he was there all the time. He of course could do nothing more as there were no rooms. Like another reviewer of this hotel, I had suspected that they had given my room to others perhaps for a group as there was a large group gathering in the lobby.

I had chosen this hotel specifically for the location as I wanted to be able to see Mont St. Michel from my room so I was very disappointed that they gave my room to someone else. They did offer free dinner in the dining room from which I could see MSM but as the others commented, it was a limited menu without any beverage except tap water. I was offered a hotel away from Mont Saint Michel in Beauveau for the same price. I asked about other hotels on the same road as Le Relais but was told they were all booked. I’m not sure that they knew that for certain as I didn’t believe other statements they had made. It was already after 6 pm and since I didn’t even have my car I couldn’t easily check all the hotels along the street. So I accepted the other hotel which while a lovely place was not close by (about 1 km away) and without a view of MSM. I likely could have found another hotel for much less at least on the same road. Le Relais charges a premium for its location as being closest to MSM. But I was stuck and running out of time as it was already dinnertime and still raining. While having dinner I sat next to another couple that appeared to be having a free dinner as well, as I could tell by their choices and needing to pay separately for their beverages. I had been told that there were a couple of others who had been displaced because of the computer problem. Based on what I saw during my time at the hotel and reading these reviews, it appears that they choose those from the United States to displace rather than someone from France or Europe where perhaps they feel they have a better chance of a repeat visit. What upset me even more was this treatment of me as an American as I had just traveled from the Normandy beaches and the American Cemetery which reminded me of what the Americans did for France and the Allies and felt betrayed. We had a wonderful visit throughout the rest of our trip in France including Paris and it was only at this hotel that I felt somewhat discriminated against because of my home country.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank Denali07
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The hotel is located at a very nice spot, where you have a magnificent view of Mont St. Michel 24 hours a day. The personnel was generally helpful and polite. The restaurant served nice meals however, I consider it a little overpriced. So is the breakfast, 22 Euro is to much for what they are offering, terrible coffee!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sakka K
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We just spent one night there and didn't want to leave. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by Marion at reception, who explained how things worked there - breakfast, how to get to the Mont St Michel, advised us how not to get locked out of the room on the terrace, and also the restaurant Mere Poulard for dinner, as many of the hotel customers she sends there are very happy (but we booked another restaurant that night - Le Pré Salé just next to the hotel Mercure which was absolutely amazing). Then we got to our room, which is what a hotel room should be - exactly as described on their website, with a breathtaking view of the Mont St Michel itself. I fount the price a bit high for just one night €250, but given that it was a holiday weekend in France, I think it might be normal. This price included breakfast as well, which was a buffet, or you could ask to have it in your room.

As well you find the shuttle buses just outside the hotel, as it is the last hotel before the Mont, so they have the best view.

If you do happen to go there, ask for Marion, she will make you feel so welcome :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple