“Completely avoid - the worst french food I have ever eaten!”
Review of Le Parisien

Le Parisien
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We ate here after seeing lots of people sat outside on a lovely sunny afternoon. This was a mistake, as once we had taken our seats, the people disappeared inside the restaurant - turns out that they were the manager and his family!
I was extremely disappointed with my entire meal here. Gratin St Jacques turned up luke warm, cold in some places with a salad that had clearly been left out in a hot kitchen the entire day.
My Pave steak was not cooked as requested, had no flavour and was a very tough piece of meat.
I have never known a french restaurant to use pre-cooked crepe's from the supermarket, but these appear to be the piece de resistance of la parisien and signify the end of a truly terrible meal.
The experience was not helped by the gruff waitress and the small portion sizes.
Our entire party of four were left very disappointed by the whole experience, especially as the meal was not very cheap either.
There appear to be many more well visited restaurants further up the street, my advice would be to visit those instead!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We always spend ages looking at the menus outside all the little restaurants in this cobbled street and then end up eating here. The menus all look similar. This place has recently been nicely redecorated and looked inviting.

The owner was pleasant and we each chose steak frites which was the usual strange cut of beef served throughout France in similar places. The restaurant was busy and everyone seemed to be enjoying their food.

We would definitely go back.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were exploring the walled town and came upon this restaurant in Rue de Lille. There were six of us and we sat outside, looking down the street towards the city wall. Nice lively location to eat, with the motor train passing by every so often. Two Salade Nicoise, an omelette, Spaghetti Saumon, Entrecote Grillee and a Vegetarian Pizza were all very acceptable. Service leisurely as it was late lunchtime, and the waitress went home after serving us, but we had no problems - just good to sit with a drink and watch the world go by. Bill came to 86 euros for the six of us, all in. I'd not quibble with that.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very surly waitress,and despite for our steaks 'a point',ie medium rare,they came out grey. Surly waitress grumpily agreed to change them,final result ok but not good. No apology. Long wait for desert.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We ended up eating here when we found that the restaurant we wanted to visit in the same street was closed. I can’t overstate how poor an experience it was.
Our order was taken by what I can only describe as the surliest waitress I have ever encountered. She begrudgingly took our order (which included a bottle of wine, so we were spending quite a bit) all the time giving the impression that we were more of an annoyance than welcome trade.
Our starters were delivered in silence. My "green salad" turned out to be a few chunks of cucumber and several leaves of yellowed lettuce with slimy edges, all swamped in a overpowering dressing. I gave up with this and shared my husband’s mussels instead. We weren’t given any wipes or water for our hands so I went to the bathroom to wash my hands after the mussels. I really wished I hadn’t. The toilet was blocked and overflowing, the urinal in the shared hand wash area was encased in paper towels to stop it being used (so presumably also out of order) and a metal bucket stood in the middle of the floor containing grey-brown water and a string mop that appeared to have been ineffectively used on the floor. The tiny corner hand wash basin was blocked and full of water so as soon as the push button tap was used it too overflowed. There was no soap or cleanser. I backed out, returned to our table and reached for my hand sanitising gel. I wish at this point we had just left, however our main courses arrived. What appalling food. My husbands steak consisted of random sized pieces of curled, hardened and dry meat. My “roast” chicken was anaemic and sitting in a pool of yellow fat. Both dishes were accompanied by greasy, soggy chips and more of the limp yellow lettuce. We each took two mouthfuls and decided we’d had enough. We got the bill, paid and walked out. Nobody questioned why we hadn’t eaten the food or why we were leaving before having any dessert (which we’d paid for as part of a menu). If my French had been better I would have complained and challenged the bill but to be honest we just wanted to leave.

This was more than a bad meal – it was a distressing experience. What had started out as a celebratory birthday meal turned out to be anything but and with offensive service thrown in. My advice to anyone tempted - don’t go near the place.