“Its ok to be late but don't be very late!”
Review of Hotel Diamant

Hotel Diamant
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Arras
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This review is long overdue. Stayed at this quaint Hotel Diamant in August 14 & 15 in 2012. We confirmed we would be late at about 9PM however using a GPS from Juno Beach in Normandy France was not an easy route. WE got lost. Philipe our host confirmed our reservations and gave us directions but the email was left at home. He did wait up.....however.....
To begin this is quite a funny story but not to Philipe at the time of that night.
We arrived at 12:10 PM the hotel was dark. I rang the bell and with my very broken french said on the intercome, " Boujour moi nome eh Susanne , Je suis reservations pour deux pur deux nuits. J'm excureMoiseur pour moi lateness". At this point there was no answer and I was worried that we would not be able to sleep in our reserved room. It was our fault of course.
A few moments later Philipe came and opened the door. He said he had waited till 11PM. He asked in english with a very french accent,"Do you not have a cell phone"?. I said no. He seemed surprised. Then I said we used the GPS and got lost. His comment was, " The GPS does not drive the car"! Then he asked did you not have a map as you can get maps at a library. I said no map. Then he gave us the 4 digit # for the code to come into the building and gave us the key to our room. With this I said my husband is outside and we need to know where to park.I thought oh boy now he has to wait for us to park and then bring in the luggage. I did not want to distrub him further. He said we could park in the next square as it was a holiday the next day and we would not get a ticket. Philip mentioned there would be breakfast starting at 7AM to 10AM I think and if we missed breakfast he only would have coffee. I think he was surprised as we were up early and down for breakfast.
The beds are very comfortable and the view from our window looked upon the square.Very clean indeed!
Philipe brought us to our table offered us cafe or orange juice then showed us the breakfast choices. Different types of breads, jams, fruit etc. This was quite good.
Now the funny part. I said to Philipe I had a great sleep and loved the bed. I asked how was his sleep? His answer was abrupt and said "SHORT" I knew he referred to us being late and that he indeed did not have a good sleep.
My husband and I had to chuckle. I should never have asked about his sleep.
We did notice that he prefers to show you to your table first before you choose your breakfast and perhaps this is routine, so don't go for your choices first. Sit down then after he serves you then go for breakfast. We also saw there was internet access but because we thought we irrated Philipe we did not dare ask to use it as it was in the breakfast room and he might have said" now is not the time" .LOL We will never know. Then to top it off my husband put a sweet bread into the toaster the first morning and Philipe must not have seen this as the second morning my husband did it again. As my husband put the bread in the toaster Philipe popped it out so my husband put it in the second toaster then Philipe popped it out and said this is not the bread you put into the toast as it would break the toaster from the sugar and I would have to buy another one.
So again we were scolded. LOL too funny or so we thought.
We choose this hotel because it was in a good spot to drive to Vimy Ridge and we have no regrets.
In the morning there is a market to buy fruit and Arras square is beautiful.
We would choose this hotel again however the hotel owner might not choose us. (Just a joke here)
All in all this was fun experience to share with friends with happy memories for us anyway.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the view overlooking the square
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Diamant

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My friends and I have stayed at this hotel at least twice in the past. The hotel is ideally situated in the Place des Heros, and the staff have always been helpful and polite to us in the past. Good clean rooms and facilities

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked a double room in this hotel for a one night stay three days beforehand via Venere.com, upon arriving the proprietors opening words to us were " why have you not answered your emails", I have cancelled your room ( I think he did this by posing as me on the Venere site). All this despite me holding the confirmation in my hand, he then went on to say that he no longer wished to do business with Venere ( & this means what to me?). He graciously allowed us to stay as he said he'd had a cancellation, pity that as the room was minute, the double bed was tiny & hard & as a final insult, the 72 euros we'd agreed to pay via Venere had become 79 when we checked out.

Basil Fawlty would have been proud, I certainly won't be staying here again, you should consider the alternatives!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dgtraveller
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Fantastic location in the square of Place des Heros plenty of bars and restaurants to choose in the square . Perfect place to sip a bevy and admire the town hall.

Was a bit worried about the size of the room due to reviews but better then expected and plenty of room for our dog which was happily accommodated. The property is kept very clean, the decor is quirky and its adds to the charm.

Breakfast was fantastic plenty of choice and great service from the owner on emails prior to arrival and info on parking when we arrived.

Highly recommend a Place room great room with a view.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Axegrinder1
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Located in the Place de Heroes, this is the very centre of Arras. Facing the Belfrey. Near to all the shops, the bars and the restaurants. A three star no frills property. Car parking can be free on street between 18.00 and 09.00 or better is to use the Grand Place underground car park some 5 mins walk away (10€ per 24 hours). The manager is obliging. No complaints, but value for money?

Room Tip: Quite simply with or without a view of the belfrey and the square is the option. But bear in mind th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisM1402
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We visited Arras for a long weekend and upon arrival was thrilled with the location. On the smaller of 2 beautiful cobbled squares and adjacent to the stunning town hall/belfry. The proprietor has clearly thought of everything and whilst not as charming as described in other review, was very helpful. Decor a little tired but accommodation very clean. We stayed in a delightful attic bedroom up on the third floor (good exercise climbing 3 sets of stairs!). Nice hot shower, comfy bed, excellent continental breakfast. Would definitely go back as exceeded my expectations as only 2 star accommodation.
fab restaurants and lively street bars. Market on a Saturday.

Room Tip: room10 for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Just returned from a two night saty in this hotel, Proprietor very welcoming and helpful and spoke very good English. Hotel perfect for short stay. Excellent breakfast with free tea, coffee and soft drinks during the day. Rooms small but very clean and well equiped with hairdryer TV and telephone. The hotel has no lift which may be a problem for some, stairs quite steep but only 3 stories. Beautiful views over the square in front rooms. Would definately recommend.

Room Tip: If you like a view reqest a front room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family