“Charming and old, excellent restaurant”

Najeti Hotel de L'univers
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Arras
Reviewed March 23, 2012

This hotel has old world charm, but some rooms are not reachable with the elevator. I had to haul my luggage up. Apart from that the hotel was perfect. The room was clean and the bathroom modern and comfy. The best part was the excellent restaurant. Very surprising for a Best Western.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Mathias19

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Spent just one night in this very centrally located hotel which was very comfortable, room not large but adaquate, only gripe is that the sound insulation was not that great as I could easily hear the shower in the next room. Breakfast buffet was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank William L
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed at the L'Univers last week for two nights and thought it excellent. I had stayed some years ago but it has certainly been refurbished since then. We had a super room although I was slightly disappointed on entering as there was a distinct smell of smoke (smoking is not allowed in any of the rooms) but otherwise it was nicely decorated and comfortable. We should have complained about the smoke smell but opened the large windows and it eased off slightly.
We ate in the hotel restaurant both nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - elegant surroundings and delicious reasonably priced food from the 19 euro two course set menu.
Before dinner we had a drink in the bar and were delighted with the delicious free canapes unexpectedly provided. Breakfast was also far above my expectations. I had imagined a simple continental breakfast of croissants, rolls and coffee but we found fresh fruit, yoghurts,
scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and tomatoes and wonderful croissants and breads.
Staff were always very helpful and friendly (it did help I must admit that my sister-in-law speaks fluent french!). All in all I couldn't fault this hotel and am really not sure what people expect when they are critical in other reviews about this very reasonably priced hotel.
We would definitely go again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hardcastle324
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Great stopoff to/from Calais. We booked an executive room and its was excellent. Breakfast was simple and not worth the price. Book your parking in advance as space is limited and its in a very busy area. The nearby historic main square is amazing with a huge choice of restaurants and shops. We couldn't get wifi to work.

Room Tip: Book the executive rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AHF_7
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This was just an overnight stay before a tour of Flandres & The Fromelles the following day, so we just booked something cheap. The price was deceptive, this is an amazing hotel, especially for the price. A beautiful historic building & the rustic charm hasn't been lost. There was a mix-up with the last minute booking, so we were upgraded to a better room than we had paid for. Arriving in the afternoon & leaving 1st thing in the morning we didn't get to spend enough time there, but we were highly impressed & would go back. However, in the morning we just wanted a coffee each & paid more than I have ever paid for a coffee in my life. They need to look at that. But overall I loved the charm of this hotel & next time I go back to France, where I'm based in Dunkerque, we'll probably go back to Arras & stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mskatie1959
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Parking was 9 Euros a day as a resident. My room was small for the price. The restaurant was over priced and the service poor. Wifi is free and easy to access. Not clear why they charge so much money... this is an average hotel with very average service.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank ChiefCynicist
Reviewed October 4, 2011

The hotel is in a historic building that has enchanted by her beauty. No luxury, but comfortable and reasonably spacious in the room. Very clean and organized. Good service. Hotel well located near the center of Arras.

The restaurant offers French cuisine that surprises those who experience it.
The hotel offers free wifi but with use limited to a few connections.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple