“Amazing food for the money!”
Review of Le Bateau du Ch'ti

Le Bateau du Ch'ti
Ranked #40 of 189 Restaurants in Arras
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We came here on a Thursday evening, it was quite quiet when we arrived but then got full of locals later on. The staff weren't particularly attentive and when we wanted to get the bill, the waiter kept avoiding eye contact.. So it took us a while to leave!
We both only had a main course- they were both huge and very good value for money, they were also very tasty! It cost about €38 for the 2 mains, 2 drinks and 2 coffees, so not the cheapest but the portion sizes were big! I would recommend this place!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Not the cheapest restaurant in Arras, but not bad. We paid 74,90 for dinner for two with two with two beers and two glasses of wine. Food was better than okay and I would probably go back.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Can I just say I wished I had read some of the previous reviews befor trying this place, on first inspection it appears pleasant enough but that is where it stops the service is frankly abysmal and as previous reviewers remarked if you aint local they don't care a jot.

My wife and I had passable starters however there it stops I had possibly the worst steak tartare I have ever had and I assure you I did not finish it, my wife worked through her main course and then we asked for coffee I could have harvested it quicker!

Over all this is the poorest restaurant I have ever been in when in France Please listen to myself and previous reviewers.

1  Thank gerrysScotland
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We went to the Bateau du Ch'ti on Good Friday this year. We know this restaurant having been before in the past few years, and were very disappointed with our last visit.
We went for the menu. We had prawns for the entry, which were very tasty and fresh. Then, we chose moules marinieres and these were terrible. They were overcooked and there was hardly any sauce.
When our waiter asked if we had enjoyed our meal, I (I am French) said that we didn't because we found the mussels had been cooked for too long and that we had no mariniere sauce at all. He did not even apologise and told us that each portion of mussels was cooked for the same time. I was expecting to have at least an apology, or the cook brought to us. Nothing. Needless to say we won't set another foot in this restaurant. 40 euros for 8 prawns each is a rip off, as the mussels were inedible.

3  Thank MC_Hammer_the_frog
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Tourists Beware

What a shame we were treated like tourists-you know the customers that the restaurant owner will never see again so does not care if they enjoy their meal or the service and then to blatantly rip us off.

On entering the restaurant we were pleasantly surprised, it had a cozy intimate atmosphere, people chatting and enjoying their meals. We could see people having the plate du jour and the dessert du jour and all looked good so we asked for table for two and unfortunately it was obvious we were tourists, as we had cameras and only spoke english. We were escorted through the restaurant and taken downstairs, where the waiter then switched the lights and the heater on, gave us menus and left. We were downstairs by ourselves in a large cellar room with damp smell which could seat 50 or 60 people. We should have left then, as for me, apart from good food, part of the enjoyment of eating out is to experience the restaurant, see other people, the buzz of a running restaurant, see different food come out of the kitchen etc. We saw nothing or nobody. The blackboard menu at the front of the restaurant clearly states menu du jour with two main course to choose from and then dessert du jour €8,see photo attached. We told the waiter on sitting down that we wanted the menu du jour, we had gone over it all when we first arrived, asking what the dishes were. When we were seated a different waiter gave us the a la carte menu only and then ran upstairs. So we had to wait until he came back and try yo explain in english that we wanted the menu du jour. Finally he understood and we received our meal which was ice. We then ordered the dessert du jour a citron merangue and was told there was no more and he then went and got a dessert menu. I asked if we had a different dessert would it still be the same price as was on the black board. He finally seemed to understand what I was saying and then explained that the dessert was not included in the €8 menu du jour. It was an extra €6 for dessert. We really felt like we were taken for a ride here and reading the blackboard menu it reads 2 course for €8. This is really unacceptable and if we coukd have spoken French I would have really complained here as it was totally wrong what they did. Everyone else we saw upstairs were having the menu of the day and the dessert of the day and if as this waiter said the dessert was €6 extra it should have been clearly stated on the blackboard menu. I cannot understand why owners or staff would do this at a restaurant, why would they want to send their customers away unhappy and complaining. I really hope if they did this to other customers the customers can speak French and complains to the owner.

2  Thank missyperu