“Flawless presentation, outstanding taste”
Review of The Fountain Inn

The Fountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Clent
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Ham, United Kingdom
“Flawless presentation, outstanding taste”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I'd been here before (but not reviewed it) and it was a place I'd wanted to return to. So - quite high expectations.

It certainly lived up to them - and it was packed, on a midweek lunchtime. It's clearly a choice for birthday get togethers, judging by the number of snapping photos and unwrapping of presents.

They did turn the music up at one point, but when I asked them if it was absolutely necessary and other diners nodded, they turned it down.

You'd have to book (the girl who took my booking clearly couldn't cope either with my name or with my attempts to use Alpha etc !) and when you arrive, you have your own printed menu which you can take home with you. Excellent Prix fixe and superb wines by the glass (Premium Rioja Reserva to die for).

Starters, I thought, were a bit heavy. I chose the lightest and found that there were two substantial chicken pieces on the skewers. A friend chose the Tiger Prawns (supplement which I'm not sure it really merited) and there were only 4 so that might have been a more modest choice.

You can't get a good Barnsley chop everywhere. This one was so succulent and well cooked, with a jus to set it off to perfection. They always serve chips and I'm afraid I succumbed to the Staffordshire temptation of chips and gravy !

For dessert, you have an "Assiette" with two allegedly miniature versions. My trifle was lovely (blueberries work perfectly) but I make a better rice pudding, even though it was set off to perfection by tinned black cherries soaked in Kirsch.

I was sad to see criticism of this place in recent weeks. I'm delighted to say that, apart from the canned country music which was turned down on request, we had none of the hassles or disappointments.

Will I go back - yes please.

Visited June 2013

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Disappointing...again!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch after a glorious walk up clent and built up quite an appetite, anticipating a delightful meal, as historically it always had been.
Unfortunately this was the third consecutive disappointment at The Fountain.
My friend ordered a cold meat platter -presentation was not good, huge slabs of turkey and beef accompanied by two massive gherkins, a few onions and a little salad. He wasn't offered any sauces.
I had tandori cod and salad which was cooked well.
But why would you serve mixed veg, chips and dauphinoise potatoes as standard with either of those dishes? Odd!
The service wasn't anything to rave about either!
I've given The Fountain the benefit of doubt too many times...not anymore.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank andreawo
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

O Dear Richard whats gone wrong Starter of fish soup fantastic. Miniscule lemon sole for main and the puddings terrible Bits of cake and cream squashed into a shot glass is NOT an assiete . Please get back to basics and knock a few quid off the price. The experience was like watching Stourbridge Rugby so much promise BUT.

• Visited March 2013
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I Won't be back”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Started with a very bad attitude at the bar and then just got worse.
Our order was wrong (we were served brown bread instead of white I clearly remember because I was smarting from the unpleasant way I had been asked my preference) I know that is not big problem in itself but the major part of the meal was bread, 3 butterless "butties" with roast meat and roast potatoes the beef was OK but the turkey was not!!. I can honestly say is it was just awful. I felt like I had been mugged.I would not recommend this place to anybody.Being a food eater for years If this is Clents #1 I'm
glad we managed to avoid the other 2 somehow though I don't believe it,and I certainly didn't get a warm and welcoming feeling from any of the Richards* behind the bar!!!
*see johnnyairport review

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Peter H
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Vastly Over-rated”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Pretentious,over-rated & over-priced following my visit on 27/05/13, for my wife's birthday. I chose cod for my main course which was raw,cold & under-cooked. The replacement was not any better except being hotter. Upon leaving, when asking for our coats, we were told they were hanging-up by the front door! A poor show from a restaurant is so "highly" rated

• Visited May 2013