“Pretentious...and not with good reason!”
Review of The Fountain Inn

The Fountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Clent
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“Pretentious...and not with good reason!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I visited last Thursday evening with the other halves family as they were visiting from Middlesbrough. There were 9 of us in total, having been to this pub before I knew it would be a squeeze as it is very small inside but has been pleasant in the past.

We arrived to be seated at a long table which was incredibly close to other 2 tables and quite a squeeze to get into. Our drinks orders were taken soon after we sat down. We were dining between 6.00pm and 6.30pm, of which a Prix Fixe menu is available, however there was no 'Prix Fixe' menu to be found on our table, nor any mention of what the children could eat. This was soon sorted once we requested the menus.

A female waitress, whom I believe is the owner, came to the table to take our order. She was not very friendly at all and seemed to talk to us in a very patronising tone - somewhat like we were not good enough to be dining in her establishment. My partner ordered fillet steak for main, of which he requested it to be cooked medium. However the waitress still asked if he wanted it pink in the middle - surely any reasonable chef/waitress will understand that medium is served blushing pink - so my partner obviously said 'yes, pink'.

The waitress then reappeared with a plate and said the chef has sent out an amuse-bouche, which was fine, but she then proceeded to explain that an amuse-bouche is a pre starter, as if we were stupid. The 'amuse-bouche' was a blini topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon - which may I add is a canapé NOT an amuse-bouche. We had to pass the one plate around the table of 9 with no side plates to eat off.

The starters were average, nothing more than your usual pub food; however my partner's mother had flakes of stilton on her plate of pâté which must have fell on her plate in the kitchen - yum. My main of chorizo and scallops in a tomato sauce with macaroni pasta was again average, under seasoned and not very warm at all. The Lyttleton Arms, which is a 5 minute drive away, does a chorizo and prawn pasta dish which has bags more flavour. My partners' fillet steak came out well done and stringy even after the 'do you want it pink' remark.

Deserts were pleasant, served in a shot glass on a slate - been done before.

I have dined in Michelin starred restaurants and have never been looked down upon or had pretentious staff serve me. It would be useful for the Fountain's owner to take note that you are a small pub in Clent - not Kensington, London darling. It's a pity as I would have been able to forgive the food not being so great if the waitress had of been warm, attentive and friendly. Sadly this was not the case....

On a lighter note, visit the Lyttleton Arms 5 minutes away, great service and fantastic food every time.

2 Thank Louise_xo

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Family meal.”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We went to eat as a party of nine on a Thursday night in March. Overall we were very disappo inted. We have all eaten here before and have found the experience to be quite good. HOwever our visit this time prompted me to write a review. Service I have never found to be very good for such a 'rated' venue. Firstly the starter of Garlic Bread with Cheese was ridiculous - it was huge and would certainly destroy your appetite for a main course. The pate (or parfait as they like to call it) was obviously not home made and was served with what I can only describe as a thimblefull of 'homemade' chutney. One of the children in our party chose pizza. He said 'this looks like bread with some cheese on top!' My main course of lamb shank, which is supposedly their speciality was very very dry. My son chose a fillet steak, cooked 'medium' - it came out well done. This even though we were informed that it would be pink. Vegetarian option also very average. Be warned as well the menu on the website is not the one you receive when you get there. Positives - vegetables were great as always. Service as always was a tad patronising - also as you we were crammed in to a small space there was no room for waiters to move around the table and we found ourselves passing the meals down the table. I just think this place is living on its reputation and really needs to up its game. We won't be visiting again for a long time and will certainly not recommend as there are many places where you could have a better dining experience for the prices charged at The Fountain.

1 Thank 765LizzieS
“Not quite the hustle & bustle of our last visits some time ago, but good food experience”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have not been to Richard & Jacque's excellent Gastro Pub for quite some time, it was lovely to be back, but somewhat surprised it was so quiet for a Thursday night. Service was attentive right from outset, the personalised menus very clever, a nice unexpected touch. Clent really is a beautiful place to go especially in the summer, the views from Adams Hill are quite spectacular.
Menu cleverly thought out, my Confit of duck on a bed of puy lentils was a splendid starter, from my other guests comments the King Prawns in garlic butter were as good as ever. The Dover Sole was perfect and extremely reasonable compared to some other restaurants. If you are a big eater, the Lamb hot-pot is quite a challenge & delicious too. Inventive selection of wines to suit all tastes.
Pretty average selection of sweets & cheeses but cooked & presented with flair.
Coffee, good selection no special comment. Plenty of parking.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“lovely food”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

we visited on a sat night,it was busy as usual,but the service was swift.The strarters we good but not brilliant,my son had garlic bread which to be honest was ridiculously big!!! enough to put you off,and the dish it came in was cast iron ,and VERY VERY hot,a bit stupid to give a nine year old,and eapecially as the waiter didnt even tell him to be carefull!!.the mains however were lovely,i had lamb which literally fell off the bone,the potatos were gorgeous as were the veg,in fact the veg are always the best ive ever had anywhere,the chips were piping hot,i struggled with it as i wasnt feeling the best,so i left a lot of it,but that was due to me and not the food.the sweets vere to die for,3 little tasters ,the lemon cheesecake was soooooo tangy mmmmmm and the brulee was amazing.ive also had their homemade icecream lots of times and thats gorgeous too:). i do think its a expensive tho.

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Really great Business Lunch”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Needed to meet with one of my team and as a local he suggested we start off the first 2 hours of our 5 hour meeting with lunch at the Fountain Inn. Apparently this venue is very popular on Friday and Saturdays but we were lucky to get a table...on arrival we were offered a table on its own which the head waiter said ensured that our conversation would not easily be overheard...already impressed. Beers were beautifully kept and the food on offer was absolutely lovely and more of a quality of a top class restaurant rather than a pub. Mushroom soup was superb as a starter and the home made Steak Pie absolutely delicious. Service was of the very highest standard and all of the servers were very friendly....why do I live in Surrey...a similar experience in the south east I would expect to pay double the price that I paid.