“Lovely hotel in a quiet village”

Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie
Scarsdale, New York
“Lovely hotel in a quiet village”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Friends recommended this hotel for a few reasons and we were very glad we took their suggestion. It's right outside of Avignon and much less expensive than the hotels in the city. Also we were able to park our car at no charge right in front of the hotel within their locked parking lot. We used this as a base to travel through Provence and it was perfect. The town is charming and quiet, we could walk to some nice restaurants on the few evenings we were back in time for dinner. Our room on the 2nd floor had a very large patio which was relaxing after a day of traveling around. The room was large and comfortable with a beautiful bathroom. This was the best value during our stay in France. The Best Western chain in the U.S. isn't a really good one so I wasn't thrilled about making reservations here but our friends assured us that this isn't the case in Europe and that is spot on.The buffet breakfast was lovely, we ate at the hotel every morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fran85
Paul Alexander C, Directeur général at Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at La Magnaneraie and that you appreciated the charm and peace and quiet of Villeneuve lez Avignon, on behalf of all the staff i would like to thank you for your kind remarks and for taking the time to write about our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Avignon.

Directeur.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 27, 2012

weve been there in our honeymoon in France in Provence area & it is amazing, charming & it has the same impression both bedroom & the garden area, I mean, all the hotel has the cozy atmosphere, since entering the main hall till the bathroom in out bedroom! very nice bathroom with warming device towel, tub & shower separate. I totally recommend!

Room Tip: upstairs with balcony both in the main building or the second one= garden view of the hotel or view...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carina s
Paul Alexander C, Directeur général at Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at La Magnaneraie and that the charm and the romance of our hotel helped to make your honeymoon a long lasting memory, on behalf of all the staff i would like to thank you for your kind remarks and for taking the time to write about our hotel, the feedback from our clients is very important as it enables us to maintain and improve our services to meet with their expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Avignon to celebrate your wedding anniversary perhaps.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Would have rated a 4 star however there were a few small niggles that for us would need fixing first.....

A little improvement in some areas would make for a fabulous stay here with even better ratings. We agree with most of the positive comments and would recommend this hotel, however, for the price (c.190€ prpn which I believe is one of the cheaper rooms?) for us personally, some of the points below would need to be incorporated before we made a return visit.

We went to the bar one evening before dinner and sat there for an age, two staff came and went with no acknlowledgement that we were there, in the end we had to go to reception to see if we could order a drink. It would be nice for the staff to acknowledge their guests and advise if the bar is closed, or even just to say we will be with you shortly if they are very busy.

Pool service would be such an advantage, on the occasions we wanted a drink/lunch, again, we had to get dressed and go to reception to order. However they were more than happy to bring it up for us when ordered, there is a nice area under cover by the pool to have your lunch.

Different standards of room cleaning, sometimes we got water, sometimes we didn't, sometimes the bed was made properly, sometimes just pulled up. We had a bottle of Champagne in our room and half a glass was left on the side for 2 days... in the end I poured it down the sink myself as I thought they must assume I like 2 day old flat champers!

Bedroom was fairly basic but ok, bathroom/shower was good, loo was tiny...... anyone who was a little rotund would struggle! (we stayed in a room by the pool, not sure this is an issue in any other type of room)

Tea/Coffee making facilities.... you have to order tea/coffee through room service. We would love to have got up, made ourselves a couple of cups of tea and sit on the balcony before we started our day. It works out terribly expensive ordering this way especially if you want more than one drink before you get dressed and wander down for breakfast. We don't like eating breakfast too early, but do like to have tea or coffee first thing and don't feel for this price we should pay that much extra daily. Many cheaper hotels offer this service.

Most of the plants in the balcony planters seem dead!... not sure if its wind burn or they are not watered. Seems such a shame, as it would look so much nicer if they were green rather than brown.

These are small things to some I know, but these areas are important to us and hopefully this review is taken on board as constructive comments, we were very happy with the majority of the stay. If enough people want the same thing these comments may be taken on board by the hotel.... and surely none of these would be a bad thing for any guest.

There was just one major negative which is a real no no to me and that is rudeness.... only happened once and I will put it down to the language barrier, but there was one incident where a lady receptionist was very curt with me when I was trying to explain what I wanted (obviously not very clearly!) fine thereafter and every other member was exceptionally pleasant. However, this should never happen, not everyone can speak French or make themselves understood first time, even when making an effort. It upset me for quite a while thereafter and to make matters worse she got the request totally wrong, but I didn't wish to go down again to try to sort it so just left it.

Food was lovely in the hotel restaurant, however the village is quite charming with many lovely restaurants to choose from if you're happy to stroll for 15mins down the hill.

I hope you enjoy your visit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul Alexander C, Directeur général at Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at La Magnaneraie and the food in our restaurant and I thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel.

I am sorry that you had a problem communicating with the receptionist and I am sure that it was more down to embarrassment on her behalf for not being able to understand and reply correctly to your demand than rudeness, being British myself I totally agree with you that it is extremely important that our clients can speak and be understood in their own language.

The pool bar/restaurant is open in July and august, from September when there is less demand, as with the hotel bar it is not permanently staffed but equipped with à telephone and a notice asking clients to dial 9 for the reception if they wish to order food or drinks, and as you found out there is always a possibility of being served by the pool side.

It is indicated in the guest directory in the rooms, that courtesy trays with tea and coffee making facilities are available on request, but following your comment I will make sure that the porters inform our guests when they accompany them to their rooms by showing them the information’s in the guest directory.

I thank you for your constructive comments, as you know the feedback from our clients is very important as it enables us to maintain and improve our services to meet with their expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Avignon.

London
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Delightful country house feel and not too large but with all the features needed. Possbily the menu degustation was a bridge too far. Walking distance to the the nearby town centre with plenty of eateries and shops and short bus or taxi to Avignon old town it self

Room Tip: In this instance paying extra for a /premier' room was worthwhile, room given was a suite
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheEvaluatorLondon
Paul Alexander C, Directeur général at Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at La Magnaneraie, on behalf of all the staff i would like to thank you for your kind remarks and for taking the time to write about our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Avignon.

London
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I first came to La Magnaneraie on honeymoon 19 years ago. I was enchanted by the setting of the hotel and the restaurant food was wonderful and more than lived up to its "gourmet" billing.

Our second visit 10 years later to the same room saw a slight comfort upgrade but we were disappointed by the decrease in standard of the food. In particular, when we had been stuck for hours in the blistering heat of a vineyard waiting for the breakdown service, we had phoned the hotel well before the end of dinner to find that all the food they could save us was a few corners of cheese.

This time, we had a "Luxe" room, which was very pleasant, although the hotel have obviously made the best use they can of poor quality fittings such as a the shower door. The toilet was very small, and negotiating ones way around the toilet door is difficult for anyone larger than a whippet on the Dukan diet, but nonetheless the room was very clean and well equipped, with a terrace that looked out over the outdoor dining area.

This was all quite pleasant until we were woken at 4am one day by staff putting out cutlery for the breakfast service. The Reception staff reluctantly took on board our complaint about this. I know the staff had a lot on that day, but waking up guests so early is surely neither necessary nor acceptable.

My main issue, however, with La Magnaneraie was the deterioration in the quality of food over the 19 years we have known it. To be fair, my lamb and aubergine on the first night was absolutely delicious. But the same starter of olive cake formed one of the two set menu starter options on every single occasion that we ate in the hotel restaurant.

My husband wasn't greatly taken with his roasted salmon that first night so we each tried a dish from the à la carte menu the next time. I had grilled fish with fresh pasta and artichokes and, to be frank, I would have been embarrassed to serve this meal to my family as standard midweek fare, such was the carelessness with which it had been prepared. The fish seemed poor quality and the artichokes, like previous vegetable offerings, had been boiled to utter tastelessness. For 33 Euros. On the final occasion we dined in the restaurant, I had braised lamb shank and I have no idea how it is even possible to make a lamb shank so dry. It's actually such an easy thing to cook properly. We obviously sent the uneaten food back to the kitchen. The waitress was apologetic but had obviously encountered this complaint before and, of course, we still had to pay.

However, my main outrage concerns the price of the breakfast. Other reviews on here have remarked on this, and I thought it was Euros 15 per person per day. In fact, the price of breakfast is an outrageously extortionate Euros 30 per person per day. So our 8 day stay cost us Euros 480, that's more than £400, FOR BREAKFAST ALONE! If I had known this, I would have trotted down to a cafe or a bakery in Villeneuve les Avignon and had breakfast there. My husband reports that a breakfast of a coffee and croissant in a central Paris cafe, as he has most weeks, costs a maximum of 3 Euros. Obviously, there was a buffet breakfast with all sorts of cake and eggs and yoghurt and ham, but seriously how much can people eat in the morning? Surely not Euros 30 worth? I left the hotel feeling really quite sick at the thought of how much money we had spent, how much money was being raked in by the hotel, on breakfasts and sub-standard, expensive food in a hotel that otherwise is calm, peaceful and holds such lovely memories.
I'd like to say that we shall go back but if we do, I shan't be eating there again until there is a drastic improvement in the value for money, the rapport qualité/prix as the French say, of the food. What a pity.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul Alexander C, Directeur général at Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
I am sorry that your stay at La Magnaneraie at the beginning of August 2012 did not meet with your expectations, although I am unable to reply concerning your first deception 9 years ago as myself and the majority of the staff were not working at the hotel at that time.

Unfortunately you did not appreciate all of your meals in the hotel restaurant, but I have informed the chef who appreciates the feedback from our clients as it enables him to adapt and change his menus in accordance to their wishes and tastes.

During your stay you mentioned to our head receptionist that you were woken up at 4am by staff preparing the breakfast out on the restaurant terrace which I agree is totally unacceptable so she immediately informed the night staff to prepare the breakfast tables later and quietly so as not to disturb our clients.

However I must strongly disagree with you concerning the price of our breakfasts which as you first thought and as your hotel bill will confirm, are at 15€ per person not 30€, after checking your hotel bill I can confirm that you paid a total of 240€ and not 480€ for your breakfasts, which corresponds to 2 breakfasts x 8 days, and as you have mentioned several of our clients have already commentated on the internet site on the large choice that our breakfast buffet offers and its good rapport qualité/prix.

I am pleased that you appreciated the luxe room overlooking the gardens and the peace and quiet of the La Magnaneraie, on behalf of all the staff i would like to thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel, the feedback from our clients is very important as it enables us to maintain and improve our services to meet with their expectations, we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Avignon.

Directeur
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Can't say enough about this little gem hidden away in a residential area of Avignon. Friendly, great food and excellent service. The gardens are heavenly, pool is small and quiet for afternoon naps complete with a bar for lunch and drinks. The rooms are very comfortable and mine was in a French country shabby chic style. I LOVED it here and will definitely return. One short story, I had jet lag and awoke at 3am. Went downstairs in the hope of finding some hot water for tea. I was greeted by a lovely young woman who made me French press coffee, offered to make me breakfast and made me feel "at home"

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul Alexander C, Directeur général at Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
I am delighted that you felt at home during your stay at La Magnaneraie and that you appreciated the peace and quiet of our gardens and the swimming pool, on behalf of all the staff i would like to thank you for your kind remarks and for taking the time to write about our hotel, the feedback from our clients is very important as it enables us to maintain and improve our services to meet with their expectations, we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Avignon.

Leeds UK
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Having spent a night in Avignon for the festival, this hotel was a welcome relief.
I would second the previous reviews. The gardens and pool were peacefull and quiet and a haven in the heat of the day.

Our room was in the garden wing, which we were initially dissappointed with, as it was dark and lacked character. However it was clean and the quality of the fittings and bedding were excellent. The aircon worked well and it was very comfortable,

We only ate one lunch at the hotel which was very good. But the prices are high for dinner. It's a 1/2 mile stroll into the village where there is a selection of excellent restaurants.

We travelled by train and walked from Avignon which is about 2 miles over the bridges. This is a long way in the heat of the day.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is not cheap but is good value for money and we would definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ben_Sostenuto
Paul Alexander C, Directeur général at Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at La Magnaneraie and that you appreciated the peace and quiet of our gardens and pool area, unfortunatley you were dissapointed by the decoration of your room but as we have 32 rooms all decorated differently i am sure we will find the one that suits you on your next stay at the hotel,on behalf of all the staff i would like to thank you for your kind remarks and for taking the time to write about our hotel, the feedback from our clients is very important as it enables us to maintain and improve our services to meet with their expectations, we look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Avignon.

Directeur.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeneuve-les-Avignon
Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,422 reviews
Hotel d'Europe
Hotel d'Europe
#3 of 69 in Avignon

Been to Najeti Hotel la Magnaneraie? Share your experiences!