“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Getaway”

Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant
New York, NY
“Great Hotel, Great Location, Great Getaway”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel has so much character to it. Extremely peaceful and well maintained grounds - right across the river from Avignon. The michelin star rated restaurant on premesis was amazing as well - I highly Reccomend!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed September 20, 2013

If you cross over the Rhone and wind up to the charming village of Villeneuve-les-Avignon, you find a wonderful country hotel, minutes from the city. Great rooms - stay in the old part - each with lots of character and many with private patio or balcony, really efficient, helpful staff and a gorgeous pool and outdoor dining area. I wouldn't recommend this hotel out of season but late summer is divine. The restaurant food was delicious with lots of fresh, local ingredients and a great wine list. You really feel that this is a haven from the hoards of tourists in Avignon. I wouldn't have chosen this place, unless a friend recommended it first and it was a great suggestion. Charming little village too with weekly market and some attractive gift shops. Owners also run the world famous Hostellerie de Baumanière so they have good form in luxury hotels.....

Room Tip: Well worth staying in old part of hotel in one of the rooms a bit off the main building
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mac1997
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Le Prieure is a wonderful oasis in a delightful semi-suburb across the river from the busy touristful town of Avignon. The garden is large and restful, the pool is excellent, the room was just fine, the staff friendly and helpful, and the restaurant was absolutely outstanding. We were very pleased to have booked here rather than in the city itself, and discovered that Villeneuve Les Avignon has it's own delightful ambiance - squares, restaurants, shops and a terrific brocante market on Saturday - despite having been absorbed into the fairly urban area around Avignon.

The restaurant was so good that we made a diversion to go there again as we passed through the area a few days later.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I first stayed at Le Prieuré forty nine years ago in the summer of 1964. My father had found this superb hotel as a stopping off point on the return from Cavalière in the south of France. We had one bad experience of staying at a hotel in Avignon three years earlier and he must have found Le Prieuré with help from an AA Continental Europe hotel guide or by visiting the AA in Leicester Square, London.
I remember eating our dinner outside and coming across some of my mother’s photos recently the place has not changed in the gardens. My mother used to collect ashtrays and was given an oblong pottery one with the hotel name and a picture tastefully inscribed.
We decided to stay there for two nights so we could do some sightseeing in the area.
I had booked on line and paid a deposit and our room was in part of the original hotel overlooking the garden by reception and with an outside staircase going down to the open plan patio dining area. A fantastic room with high ceilings, large bathroom that looked even larger because of mirrors on three walls. Unfortunately the heat control on the shower was not so good, but you could not fault this 5 star accommodation.
As we had not booked for dinner that evening, they were full, so made sure we booked for the following night which was a bank holiday. We had an excellent meal close by at Les Jardins De La Livree which is really great value for money and well worth a visit. It all worked out very well as it was very windy that night and you could not eat outside in Le Prieuré, however because Les Jardins De La Livree were more sheltered you could there.
On returning to the hotel, it was a shame that they do not have a bar for guests. You can have drinks outside around tables and inside, but the only bar in the hotel was in a separate building which I presume could be used in winter months or when it is wet or part of a function room for weddings etc.
The next morning we came down to our 25 euro a head breakfast and found it rather disappointing. In France you do naturally still expect a “Continental” style breakfast, however the coffee pots are on the small size for two people and although we had a refill the request for a second refill was completely ignored. On the second morning they kept on running out of croissants and in an establishment like that you should not be waiting nearly 10 minutes for a new supply at the self service buffet.
The female member of staff who had been the person with the cheese trolley (chariot de fromages) on the second night was running the breakfast operation on the second morning and was very helpful and friendly and is a credit to Le Prieuré.
The dinner on the second night was excellent. We both chose “Le Menu” at €95 per head and small tasty portions were very filling, as there appeared to be numerous courses.
Since my first visit back in 1964 they have added a new block of rooms and a swimming pool. Unfortunately we never had time to try out the pool, but it certainly appeared to be very popular.

The hotel and restaurant is excellent and I am very pleased to have gone back there again, however maybe a little more variety with cold meats and cheese for breakfast. If you want anything extra like an omelete, boiled eggs you pay more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the oldest part Room 16 is great
1 Thank TimTimLondon
London
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was going to call my review "paradise", but found that it has already been used in some titles - paradise is what it is! We arrived on a very hot afternoon and found the hotel to be a tranquil oasis. The staff were wonderful and our room, which overlooked the pool, was modern with excellent amenities. We only stayed one night and after a short walk around the village, returned for a drink on the terrace before dinner. The restaurant is fabulous and I enjoyed the best meal of my 2 week French holiday. Service was fantastic and the ambience, on a warm summer evening, was sublime. The room was very comfortable and the air-conditioning was efficient. Breakfast was another excellent experience and I hope to stay here again.

1 Thank London1915
Switzerland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Absolutely faboulus little hotel with a great restaurant. We stayed as a family and my daughter loved the pool. The rooms are fantastic and the setting is hard to beat. Shame we did not have more time to stay and enjoy! If we are in the area, we will definitly stay here again. One of the rage positive surprises I found to date. Bliss.

Room Tip: We stayed in the old part and it was great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 100daysperyear
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This property was a gem. I wish I could find similar properties for all of our trips. This is what I ask my wife to try and replicate when we plan trips. I would recommend this property as a destination resort.

It's small and quaint, but has everything. Oversized rooms and bathrooms, swimming pool, spa, the best restaurant in all of France and friendly helpful English speaking staff. Not much for views. It's located in a small village, no more than two stops from Avignon on the bus. Park your car and take the bus to Avignon. This small village has everything at your finger trips. You can have a fun day of just exploring the village.

The restaurant was marvelous. I had my first taste of pigeon there and it was excellent. Their restaurant was better than the Hotel de Paris Louis XV. It was not inexpensive, but worth every euro. After dinner, I wanted to smoke a cigar with dessert. The staff actually moved us out doors to the courtyard so we would not be disturbed by them closing down and served us drinks and desert outside while I smoked my cigar. We literally closed the place down. If I ever go back close to the area, I would go and stay there for at least 3 nights per stay and would definitely use their spa.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and spacious, so un-European.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeneuve-les-Avignon
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Novotel Avignon Centre
Hotel de l'Horloge
Hotel de l'Horloge
#5 of 69 in Avignon

Been to Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant? Share your experiences!