WINNER WONDERLAND

Les Saisons
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We originally had booked two nights at this wonderful B&B but decided on a third because we enjoyed it so much. We visited in October of 2012. We had a beautiful room and saw the most incredible sunrise through our open windows. Gerard was so welcoming and helpful. We enjoyed having a bottle of wine on the terrace and asking Gerard for tips on our next day's adventure. It is a perfect location for day trips through this part of Provence.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am remiss in writing this review, because we stayed at this wonderful B&B in May 2011. (TripAdvisor did not give me the option to choose May 2011 for the review, so the date on this review will say May 2012.) However, I am currently planning a new trip to Europe, and my husband's only requirement is that I find another hotel/B&B that was as perfect as Les Saisons. I told him that he needs to lower his expectations, because Les Saisons set a very high standard.

We took a chance on Les Saisons, because, when I booked it in late 2010, the B&B was relatively new and there had only been four TripAdvisor reviews. However, I loved the website, and the town intrigued me. The gamble paid off, because we enjoyed every minute of our stay.

Accommodations: There were only two of us, and we stayed in the le printemps room, which can easily accommodate three people. It was the only room available when I booked, and I had liked some of the pictures of the other rooms better. However, I am thrilled to say that the room was lovely, large, quiet, and had several big windows with beautiful views. We slept with the windows open, and the breeze through the room was wonderful. Do no hesitate to stay in this room. (My husband just piped in with, "I HIGHLY recommend that room." He loved it as much as I did.)

Hotel/B&B: The reason I use both hotel and b&b is because Les Saisons felt like a mix of both. We definitely interacted with our hosts, who offered us advice before we arrived and provided assistance during our visit. They chit-chatted with us at our individual tables at breakfast in the morning, and helped us with questions about the area. However, they seemed to assess each guest's need for their attention individually, and really left us alone most of the time, which is exactly what we wanted!

Decor: What you see in the photos for Les Saisons is exactly what you get. The decor was beautiful and modern, but you still felt like you were staying in a village in
France. It will not disappoint.

Location: I was very concerned that staying outside of Avignon would feel too remote. It did not. The village is wonderful on its own, and I had one of my favorite meals in France just down the block from Les Saisons. You can easily take a healthy walk into Avignon or take the bus. We were able to park up the street from Les Saisons with no problem.

Extra Tip: Please do not miss the fort in the village. That fort is one my favorite memories from France. It is not a ruin, it is an intact 14th-century historic landmark. When you walk in, you basically step back in time. We had the entire place to ourselves and could wander around without restriction. It was both interesting and beautiful. I loved the architecture, and my husband was fascinated by the fort's defenses.

Room Tip: I did not see the other rooms, but Le Printemps was wonderful. I can't imagine they even have a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

What a wonderful B&B this. Our room was large and modern with lovely bathroom and was quiet and relaxing and opening the shutters watching the sun come up was amazing. The bed was comfortable and being so qiuet made for a good nights sleep. Gerard is a terrific host and full of tips about the area and so were guided about the best areas to go. Close to Avignon you could take the bus from just down the road into the city without the hassle of parking. Breakfast on the terrace was fresh and lovely served by Gerard each morning and chatting to other guests made for a wonderful start to the day. Certainly a wonderful place to stay and would recommend to everyone. Thanks Gerard.

Room Tip: Any room would be wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mumanddaughter08
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I cannot come up with enough accolades for Gerard and his charming B&B. We had only four days to enjoy the gracious hospitality of Gerard, and wish it had been more. Our room was so spacious; the bath, tremendous, and the views from every window, spectacular. Villeneuve is a wonderful town away from the hustle and bustle of Avignon, yet with all the amenities. Gerard recommended wonderful restaurants just steps away from Les Saisons. Located in a quiet quarter of Villeneuve, it was easy to park our rental car right outside our door. Gerard's decor, his meticulous attention to detail and incredible antiques are a feast for the eye. At breakfast we heard wonderful stories about his career as a principal dancer, and director of Europe's most celebrated revues. Our experience at Les Saisons will be one we will remember with fondness and joy.
Rick(Henry) & Judy

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I do not normally stay in B&B type properties, but the Les Saisons website was so intriguing and I had such a lovely email exchange with Monsieur Gerard, that I decided we should give this a try. We had stayed in the heart of Avignon previously and did not plan to do more sighseeing on that side of the river, so Villeneuve was a perfect alternative. We were delighted with the city as we made our way into town and it was very easy to find the signs for Les Saisons, on a lovely side street. We had reserved L'Ete and it was lovely -- high ceiling, spacious, colorfully decorated (the web photos are totally accurate), with a really modern attractive bathroom (love the walk-in, tiled shower). We had both a fan and a/c to choose from for the night and had a very quiet and comfortable night's sleep. The next morning was truly a treat -- breakfast had been set up outdoors in the garden and we were the first guests down, so we had a leisurely breakfast while talking to Gerard and exchanging all kinds of personal travel stories. The tables were set with lovely Provencal tablecloths, with a huge assortment of fresh breads and pastries, butter and jam, juice, yogurt and perhaps the best fresh coffee we had on the entire trip. There may be a few small differences in terms of the room experience (I forgot there would be no hairdryer or so many shampoo/lotion bottles), but those are easy to forget in trade for such an interesting host, stylish decor, and relaxing environment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Great Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

A summer delight with a remarkable sense of humor of the owner Gerrad . His attention to personal detail and thirsty needs of his guests made us feel right at home.Very knowledgeable about the Provence Region.. guided us more and better than any guide book and we did a few things which only locals would do.Even parking which is a hassle ,he would go out of his way to save parking space for his guests.
Merci , Gerrad for treating us like your family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

This is an amazing B&B and I would love to return, but it is not for everyone. I really don't believe that families with small children should stay here, because this is a very small place (only for rooms, named like the weather seasons) and therefore do not offer many child-like facilities.

Pros: The city itself, Villeneuve les Avignons it's a much better choice than bigger cities like Avignon. It has plentiful free parking space, some very nice restaurants and the provençal state of mind (for me, provence is all about small cities, where everyone knows everyone, people are friendly with stranges etc etc etc). And I am not even mentioning the beautiful historic sites, like the papal castle. The B&B itself is very charming, and I would recommend the Printemps room, since it's the bigger one and has a gorgeous view to the castle and to the back garden. The breakfast is simple, but always with fresh and delicious french croissants, butter, jam, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea. In Printemps room, the toilet is separate from shower and bathroom, which I think is very good. Gerald, the owner, is also a "pros" himself. I just can't describe him, you will need to go and find for yourself. What I can say is that me and my boyfriend definitely enjoyed the peculiarities of his personality.

Cons: Having to pay the rest of the fee in cash, the amenities were not replenished in a five day stay. A lot of stairs too (ok, I know that there's nothing to do about it, since it's and old historic house, but I need to comment. I must also say that Gerald was very kind to take my very heavy suitcase to the room).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Les Saisons, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
I sincerely appreciate the title of this comment.
I like even more to discover that I am "peculiar" (!) In which sense ?
As a french man I dont really get it. I hope that it means at least that I am not a boring dude.
The website of Les Saisons is clear and precised about the fact that the place is not suitable for young childrens.
Our charming guest on her "DOWN" points is stating the obvious. as we are also clear (and detailled) about breakfast being Continental.
We always emphasise on our courrier and Mails that having no facilities for C/Card (like most Maisons d'Hotes) , it is more advantageous for guests to pay the balance in cash, than by bank transfer with high commission fees.
Naturally holders of a French bank account can pay by cheques.
We only have 2 floors ...really not the Himalayas.

We let 4 bedrooms -out of 7- to guests as regulated by the Chambres d'Hotes classifications allowing only a maximum of 5
More and it would be a Hotel.
The same regulations do not oblige the management to add Amenities (bits and pieces like soap,Q/tips , kleenex etc...)
We offer them as a welcome gesture , as we do with the flowers and chocolates.
Towels are changed every "other"day and this is more often than certain 5 stars hotels who are now solliciting customers to keep sheets and towels for a maximum of time for ecological reasons.
The French idea of a Chambres d'Hotes is one of a Private home where the owners offers you to share their surroundings , way of life and experiences.I
It is not a requisit but it is always better naturally if guests can adjust to their rythm.
This create that unique atmosphere ,who can never be found in a Hotels chain.
Thank you to my charming guest for taking the trouble to write to Trip advisor and for the nice comments.
My apologies for a very PECULIAR bad french writing
From Avignon with love
Gerard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villeneuve-les-Avignon
Le Prieure Hotel Restaurant
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
#1 of 10 in Le Pontet
Hotel Restaurant La Ferme

Been to Les Saisons? Share your experiences!