“Tired and uncomfortable beds, but good location”
Review of Hotel Vidal

Hotel Vidal
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ceret
Melbourne, Australia
“Tired and uncomfortable beds, but good location”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

An average experience. The hotel smells strange, not pleasant. As 3 adults, our triple room was a shoebox, as was the bathroom. The mattresses were so hard, every spring could be felt and they were clearly old and in need of replacing, and the pillows were also useless. The bathroom was so cramped there was barely room to dry yourself. We happened to look in the suite, which was a MUCH better room - although almost double the price! If we booked again, this would be our choice as the regular rooms are pretty poor. Also, don't bother with the continental breakfast - you get a glass of OJ, coffee, and basket of bread and jam for 8€, poor value. On the plus side, the staff are very nice, the place is clean, and it is in a great location. Just make sure you book a good room!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, and especially worth asking for the suite if you plan staying here and want a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Shelly-Fly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were visiting the town of Ceret and spotted this gem of a hotel from the back entrance which has an ivy covered open balcony overlooking a little courtyard. The front of the hotel looks onto one of the main squares. The hotel is near to the old town walls and the main square is dominated by huge shady trees and little cafes. We stayed one night and had a great time for a very modest price. In a hotel full of lovely antiques and character the price of 50 Euros for two of us seemed very low and represented very good value. They also have a great restaurant - very popular with the locals so you need to book - it is also not open every day - so check this out. The staff were lovely and we wished we could have stayed longer. The town itself has lots of nice galleries and art connections. The Gallery and Museum of Modern Art is particularly good and well worth a visit - within easy walking distance of the hotel - in fact a very nice small town to walk around in generally. Would definitely go back and stay there again. The restaurant itself is quite a work of baroque art - very charming and bohemian with lots of painting and huge windows. Highly recommend calling there if you can.

Room Tip: It may be a bit quieter to sleep at the rear but the rooms at the front are larger and overlook a lo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WMBaker
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is certainly the antithesis of a "chain" hotel, very much a "one-off" experience. We were lucky to time our arrival to coincide with a vacant street parking place almost beneath what turned out to be our room. That room was simple and unfussy, with interesting art on the walls and, although small, had all we needed for a one night stay. The adjoining shower and WC were clean and fully functional, with good hot water and adequate towels. Although facing the street there was no through traffic but some noise from street cafes, including that from stacking chairs and tables etc. after closing time, so not recommended for early sleepers, but that may be a summer phenomena.
The terrace restaurant "El Bisbe" was excellent quality and value. We opted for one of the fixed price menus but chose different options and both of us were happy with what we got!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road at the front if you do not want noise from cafes.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 48Gina
South france
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I stayed here three times, and still think it was probably my favourite hotel. . .ever. Can't think of a better one off hand. The rambling corridors and bedrooms are stuffed with art works and ancient furniture. Breakfast is served on a lovely vine covered terrace in the summer months, and in a cosy artifact filled room at other times of the year. The staff are friendly and the situation perfect.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nomodconstraveller
Chambery
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Although the Hotel Vidal is situated on the main street of Ceret its charming entrance is just around the corner and seems to captivate the casual passer-by with its flowering creepers decorating the outdoor additional dining area.

A series of well trodden stone steps lead up to the reception area tucked away in corner of the entrance hall. Essentially a family hotel, without any of the glizzy additions of some modern establishments, the whole feel is one of comfort,even cosiness. The welcome is warm and friendly and the service both in the hotel and the restaurant is excellent. The well deserved reputation of the food does mean however that it is wise to book in advance in order to secure a place in the high season.
Ceret itself, with its fine Municipal Art Gallery, which includes a set of ceramics by Picasso,is well worth a visit particularly in late May during the annual Cherry Festival when the whole town is ablaze with colour and bands and dancers of all descriptions fill the weekend with the spirit of Catalonia.

While the Festival is one of the annual highlights, on normal Saturdays the town streets are given over to a a street market that reflects local produce in all its many aspects. Incidenatally all parking in the main streets and squares is forbidden between Friday evening and Saturday mid-day during which time the extensive free car park ensures that you are never more than a short walk away from any of Ceret's attractions.

2011 marked our seventh visit and my wife and I are sure it will not be our last.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Norrie H
London United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I had a confirmed booking for the Hotel Vidal from September 2nd 2011 to September 9th and from September 11 to September 16th. On the second day of my stay the manager informed me that I would be told about my booking. On September 12th I was told that a film was to be made using the Hotel Vidal and that I would have to leave on September 9th and that arrangements had been made for me to stay at the Hotel D'Arcades on the opposite side of Place Picasso. The manager said they had sent me an email to this effect. I received no such email, neither was I consulted about a choice of alternative accommodation. The manage said that Hotel Vidal would pay the extra 6 Euros a day for a room at D'arcades.

At Hotel Vidal I had a room overlooking Place Picasso and it was a great part of my enjoyment of the holiday to sit on my balcony and watch the day come to life in the morning and settle down at night. Although the service at d'Arcades was much better than Vidal my room there was at the back overlooking the tops and backs of houses with the mountains in the distance. I greatly missed my view of the Place.

On the morning of September 9th I left Vidal at 8.15 to have my morning coffee at a cafe in the Place. As I left I was pursued into the street by the receptionist shouting at me that I had to leave my room before 11 a.m. I was not pleased.

At 10.15 a.m I went down to the receptionist to check out. I am 72 years old and suffer from osteoporosis in my spine which I have twice fractured and cannot carry heavy articles so I asked the receptionist if I could have some help with my bags since there is no lift and I was on the third floor. Her response (in French - she does not speak English) was "No! I am on my own here". No apology and in any case she was not alone in the hotel I saw one man (a chef I think) and another woman while I was at reception. I pointed out that it was my fault that I was having to leave the hotel to which she rudely replied that it was not her fault either.(It would have taken a maximum of 10 minutes for someone to help me.

I phoned my sister who was staying at a Camp site a kilometre away and she and her husband walked up to help me. They arrived at the same time as the Manager of Vidal walked into reception and he said he would help with the bags. (which by then we could have managed ourselves). I went to pay the receptionist who conducted check out without a word being spoken - no apology - nothing.

My conclusions about Vidal are that your booking is only safe as long as nothing better comes along for Vidal and the receptionist (who could easily have said to me that there is no -one to help me at the moment but if I wait until the manager arrives he would assist me) is easily one of the rudest people I have ever had to deal with.

Never again Vidal! I have learned my lesson.

Stella M. Joseph

Room Tip: Do not go there
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Stella J
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We found this hotel in the "Backroads of France" book and what a find it was too! Charming and characterful, in the centre of this beautiful leafy town which inspired so many artists. Staff were friendly and accomodating. Our room looked over the main street and was very comfortable and clean. Breakfast and lunch on the terrace were delicious and all this for a one star hotel, was very unexpected. We plan to go back to this area and to this hotel again next year. Really looking forward to it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ceret
Hotel des Arcades
#4 of 7 in Amelie-les-Bains-Palalda
Le Ceretan Hotel
Le Ceretan Hotel
#12 of 12 in Ceret

Been to Hotel Vidal? Share your experiences!